Author Topic: Broadheads  (Read 84 times)

Offline West Augusta

• Boss Tom
  • West By God Virginia.
Broadheads
« on: November 08, 2020, 11:02:28 AM »
What kind of broadheads do you all use.  I went to a crossbow a few years ago and this year I tried 2 blade Rage.  I shot a decent 8 point last Friday.  Heard a loud crack at impact of the arrow to the deer.  I watched him slowly walk over the ridge 200 yards or more.  We searched for 2 days.  Very little blood, no bolt and no deer.  I'm looking for something better than 2 blade Rage broadheads for my crossbow. 
Twitter @WestAugusta        @UnicoiCallShow

Parler  @WestAugusta

Offline crow

• Poult
Re: Broadheads
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2020, 08:48:38 PM »
4 blade Slick Trick broad head, they fly great out of a cross bow.

very rugged, both the head and the replaceable blades, the blades are easily re-.sharpened.
they penetrate great and make a big hole, haven't had a negative experience with them yet

Offline Sir-diealot

• Poult
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2020, 04:17:50 AM »
This year I used Crimson Talons because they are what I had from before my accident in 2001 and I was running short of funds, I tried to get a hold of them and never got the reply I expected so next year I will got to something else. I think I will go back to the old 3 blade Wasp broadheads unless I get good enough with my recurve and then I will try to find some old Bear broadheads.

Offline West Augusta

• Boss Tom
  • West By God Virginia.
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2020, 11:24:52 AM »
Crow,  You are the second person to suggest Slick Tricks.  The store didn't have any of them so I bought some 3 blade Grim Reapers.  Wow.  These performed well.  I saw the 6 point drop last night.  No good pictures as I was trying to get it field dressed before dark and it was very warm and wanted to get it to the processor before it started to spoil or the flies got to it.  I have no idea how you southerners do it. 

Parler  @WestAugusta

Offline Sir-diealot

• Poult
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2020, 01:22:11 PM »
Congratulations

Offline West Augusta

• Boss Tom
  • West By God Virginia.
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2020, 02:04:23 PM »
This year I used Crimson Talons because they are what I had from before my accident in 2001 and I was running short of funds, I tried to get a hold of them and never got the reply I expected so next year I will got to something else. I think I will go back to the old 3 blade Wasp broadheads unless I get good enough with my recurve and then I will try to find some old Bear broadheads.
I still have a few of the old Bear broadheads but no inserts.  LOL   Took my first deer with one of those.

Parler  @WestAugusta

Offline firedup

• Boss Tom
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2020, 06:39:05 PM »
Congrats Steve!  I had a whole box of the old bear broadheads from back in the day. I think I gave them to a buddy for his archery collection.  Compared to todays products, I could take one of those and use it like a knife to skin the deer!  *wha*

Offline Porter

• Osage Polish Mike
  • Administrator
  • Boss Tom
  • Osage Polish Mike
    • Osage Roost
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2020, 07:10:22 PM »
I'm going to single bevel broadheads next year.  I currently shoot G5 Montecs, but I'm changing my setup (I'm a bow hunter) to a higher FOC next year.  Now I might go crossbow next year too though.  If so, I might just shoot good ole Muzzy's then.  I refuse to hunt with rages.  I've seen too many not do their job!

Offline West Augusta

• Boss Tom
  • West By God Virginia.
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2020, 07:51:46 PM »
I'm using a crossbow.  Before the China Virus cost me my job, I didn't have enough time to practice.  Now I don't have the money for a compound.  Dang, those things are expensive.   Crossbow is much easier.

Parler  @WestAugusta

Offline West Augusta

• Boss Tom
  • West By God Virginia.
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2020, 07:55:04 PM »
Porter,  I hit a nice 8 point last Friday with a 2 blade Rage.  I heard a very loud crack at impact with the deer.  I do believe the broadhead failed at impact.  Only a small drop of blood at 75 yards.  We looked for 3 hours that night and 2 the next morning.  The deer was not to be found.  i switched to 3 blade Grim Reapers.  I'm impressed with them.  I shot a 6 point yesterday and watched it fall.

Parler  @WestAugusta

Offline crow

• Poult
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2020, 08:56:39 PM »
Congrats and good job on your buck.

I hunted with grim reapers for several years right before switching to the slick tricks and they always did a good job.

the replacement blades on the G R also change very easy, they don't come factory sharp enough (at least they didn't use to) but they took and held  an edge very good.

they are a good broached, but overall for me the slick tricks flew a little better out of the crossbow and penetrated better

I used to use bear 2 blade, swickeys and grizzlies out of longbows and self bows, then my back blew apart and had to go to a crossbow

Offline West Augusta

• Boss Tom
  • West By God Virginia.
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2020, 07:30:14 AM »
I'll still look for some Slick Tricks but the stores I looked at didn't have them.  All they had for fixed were Muzzy Trocars and I thought they were a little small.

Parler  @WestAugusta

Offline crow

• Poult
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2020, 11:35:56 AM »
The Grim Reapers are a good broad-head, I didn't have any negative experiences with them,
I just got low on supply and needed to get more.

a friend lent me a couple slick tricks to try for practice and they were so accurate and also fly to the same POA/POI that you are sighted in with if you use the same grain weight field point that I went with them.

That was several years ago and from the hunting results I will stick with them.
as long as you don't hit a rock in the ground after shooting thru a deer I have resharpened the blades and have shot several deer with the same broad head.

they sell a XBOW model and I use the 150gr with 1 1/8th blades

Offline Sir-diealot

• Poult
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2020, 08:43:33 PM »
I still have a few of the old Bear broadheads but no inserts.  LOL   Took my first deer with one of those.
I have some of the old Bear Broadheads as well, took my first archery deer with a Bear Whitetail II By the way if you do not have the DVD's get them, watching that old stuff is great, most of it was new for me, just finished the last DVD in the set this week.