Author Topic: Not a bad first Day ( Pics added )  (Read 3932 times)

Offline muzzleman

  • Boss Tom
  • *****
  • Posts: 593
Re: Not a bad first Day
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2013, 03:47:35 AM »
Cutter and I are having an excelent year, We went to new York the other day and got two birds.  WE ended up driving longer than we hunted. When we got there the the guy that owned the land said  that the birds roosted high on a hill and came down about every morning to some fields . We had some coffee and talked about how to set up, as we set up I could hear a bird yelping down low on the hill. We set Cutter loose and started accross the hill sure enough we didn't go to far when Cutter started barking and  Turkeys flying everwhere. I set up and called and had birds calling right away , after awile I had a nice hen come in with two whistlers with her I ended up getting her and one of the smaller birds with one shot.  Tagged out ,  Yesterday I took a guy back up to clearfield county in th  elk refuge area an got in to two different flocks, we seen ninety some elk and some huge bulls . the first flock wasn't a real good break and didn't get much of a response. The second one was a good break and some body shot down on the side hill below us on th e break. as we moved in to set up we ran in to a younger guy that said he knocked one down but couldn't find it, so we put cutter to work, first we found some feathers  And cutter was off  after awhile he stsrted to bark down over the hill and we could here lots of wing flapping  by the time we got there Cutter had pretty much de feathered this turkey he had it pinned down but was still alive. The guy I was with said after we left I should have got I finders and plucking fee.  anyways we set up and called and afterawhile we had a bird come in on the shot this turkey flopped around got up and made a beeline for the next hill . we put Cutter on it to but never found it. I'm taking a guy out today that is buying a boykin spaniel next week and wanted to hunt with one, I think he joined the roost last week, I have lots of pics to post of turkeys , The elk and of course Cutter I'll try to get them up over the weekend
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 04:23:33 AM by muzzleman »

The Woodsman

  • Guest
Re: Not a bad first Day
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2013, 03:55:10 AM »
You are having a banner year! Looking forward to the pictures....

Denny

Offline callmakerman

  • Boss Tom
  • *****
  • Posts: 1737
Re: Not a bad first Day
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2013, 10:15:36 AM »
Congrats Bill RkLu  Now what do you do the rest of the season?

Offline muzzleman

  • Boss Tom
  • *****
  • Posts: 593
Re: Not a bad first Day ( Pics added )
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2013, 07:45:27 AM »
I had a couple guys that wanted to hunt today , But Cutter and I needed a break.We hunted yesterday and was in to them all day but they wasn't real talkative., the wind blew pretty hard all day and it was hard to hear. Cutter did his job we didn't hold up our part of the bargain. It was fun hunting with someone that is getting a Boykin, Shawn is exicted about getting his dog, he is going to pick it up sunday. If his dog is anything like Cutter he going to have a blast. My cousin's dog Rosie is only five months old and had some real good breaks herself, I'm going to try to find some one to hunt with on Black friday and Saturday to end my season, It's been fun but It don;t last long enough.

Offline SOONER

  • Jake
  • ***
  • Posts: 132
Re: Not a bad first Day ( Pics added )
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2013, 04:52:27 PM »
Congratulations Bill on a fine hunt.

Offline mtngobbler

  • Poult
  • *
  • Posts: 2
Re: Not a bad first Day ( Pics added )
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2013, 12:25:41 AM »
I want to thank bill and Joe for taking me on my first turkey dog hunt last week..Cutter and Rosie did a great job and bill and Joe are some of the nicest people you will ever meet. I had a blast and the dogs definitely did their part.I am new to using dogs but these guys know their stuff..I drove to S.Carolina last weekend and picked up my boykin "Buster".... he's just a little guy now (6 weeks) but already has a lot of personality and loves chasing a wing already...Thanks again Bill!!!!!

Offline jmck

  • Boss Tom
  • *****
  • Posts: 8930
  • Twisting Creek Calls
    • Twisting Creek Calls
Re: Not a bad first Day ( Pics added )
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2013, 01:05:30 PM »
Congrats on the introduction to a really fun way of turkey hunting- friends are great people that take time and interest to share the experience with you- compliments to Bill there !!
Also- congratulations on the new pup- I am sure the bonding has already started- I envey ya and get the pup ready to have a blast with ya next season