Author Topic: Purr on a trumpet  (Read 1171 times)

Offline headhunter270

  • Poult
  • *
  • Posts: 13
Purr on a trumpet
« on: September 03, 2012, 01:20:40 PM »
Been working on my trumpt got the yelps and clucks down pretty good.Can anybody purr on one if so got any tipps

Offline TRKYHTR

  • Boss Tom
  • *****
  • Posts: 672
    • Mother Lode Turkey Calls
Re: Purr on a trumpet
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 01:38:52 PM »
Gargle as you suck in.

TRKYHTR

Offline West Augusta

  • Boss Tom
  • *****
  • Posts: 6423
  • West By God Virginia.
Re: Purr on a trumpet
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 01:53:02 PM »
Say what? *lol* *lol*
That doesn't work for me Joe. *lol*
Twitter @WestAugusta        @UnicoiCallShow

Parler  @WestAugusta

hunter22

  • Guest
Re: Purr on a trumpet
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 02:00:05 PM »
Seems like that is two contradicting actions. I have never heard anyone purr on a trumpet that I know of. You may need to make a soundfile of that one Joe.

Offline West Augusta

  • Boss Tom
  • *****
  • Posts: 6423
  • West By God Virginia.
Re: Purr on a trumpet
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 02:01:18 PM »
I can't physically do it.
Twitter @WestAugusta        @UnicoiCallShow

Parler  @WestAugusta

drenalinld

  • Guest
Re: Purr on a trumpet
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 02:18:42 PM »
I can get the gargling action while sucking rather than blowing, but have not learned to do it with little enough air for a trumpet. I have heard Joe do it. He has a sound file somewhere. With trumpet so far it more resembles a "gag"gle!
 *lol*

Offline stevelumma

  • Boss Hen
  • ****
  • Posts: 387
Re: Purr on a trumpet
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 03:21:04 PM »
I have personally heard one person purr on a wingbone. i can't remember his name, but he told me he fluttered his tongue to make it happen. It sounded amazing, but he was a freak of nature. I grab a pot when I want to make a good purr

Offline GR8CALLS

  • Boss Tom
  • *****
  • Posts: 4164
Re: Purr on a trumpet
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 05:22:31 PM »
Best I have ever heard was Cornbread!

Bill
I'm not shy.......I'm just studying my prey!!!

The True Measure of A Man Will be Found in His Words and Deeds!

If The Enemy is in Range......So Are You!

Offline firedup

  • Boss Tom
  • *****
  • Posts: 1788
Re: Purr on a trumpet
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 06:55:03 PM »
I believe Zach Farmer described a technique to purr on a trumpet in his book. It will work on a winbone but....at least for me...not very consistant.  Involves a healthy amount of spit.

Offline Zumer

  • Boss Tom
  • *****
  • Posts: 2736
  • The Mod that banned Porter
Re: Purr on a trumpet
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 09:24:55 PM »
Best I have ever heard was Cornbread!


AWESOME sounding purr from the breadman...... *up*
  Prostaff member of the Wife's Honey-Do list...

Offline West Augusta

  • Boss Tom
  • *****
  • Posts: 6423
  • West By God Virginia.
Re: Purr on a trumpet
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2012, 09:31:18 PM »
How's he do it?
Twitter @WestAugusta        @UnicoiCallShow

Parler  @WestAugusta

Offline Zumer

  • Boss Tom
  • *****
  • Posts: 2736
  • The Mod that banned Porter
Re: Purr on a trumpet
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2012, 10:06:22 PM »
Steve,

     That's a good question......I was so amazed w/ the sound, I didn't even think, to ask him...... :-\
  Prostaff member of the Wife's Honey-Do list...

Turkeycaller

  • Guest
Re: Purr on a trumpet
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2012, 05:01:29 AM »
Cornbread.............

Offline strutnrut

  • Boss Tom
  • *****
  • Posts: 1016
Re: Purr on a trumpet
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2012, 05:39:19 AM »
About 5 years ago I had a 9 year old at Reelfoot show who wanted a wingbone call some kind of bad. I have to say I have a very soft spot when it comes to young people who want to learn to turkey hunt. So I gave him a Wingbone.  Well I had him working the wingbone very quickly. The next thing I know he had slipped away from his mother and came over to show me what he could do. He purred on that call like he had been doing it forever. I tried to have him teach me but an old dog doesn't always learn new tricks. I sure wish I could run accross him again. 

MKW

  • Guest
Re: Purr on a trumpet
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2012, 04:08:34 PM »
Cornbread is the only person I've ever heard purr on a suction call and it was spot-on. I DID ask him how he did it and he said, "I don't really know, I just do it."  ;D

Mike