January 20, 2019, 02:53:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another Indiana Double!!  (Read 883 times)
fargobox
Boss Tom

« on: May 02, 2016, 11:37:18 AM »

Well, I have just returned from my Kentucky and Indiana hunting trip.  The birds in Kentucky were very tough and un-cooperative...it happens, but then I was on to hunt with my cousin in Indiana, southwest area.  Opening day found us in our usual setup area in an upper back field where birds typically roost over a large pond.  However, it had rained hard the night before so they were quiet with only one distant gobble.  So bout 7:30 we set out to do a little prospecting and we rimmed the entire field casting calls down into the many hollows and ridges that frame the field, but no responses.  We concluded it was best to head down to the lower field where we have a good history of birds collecting around 10:00 am.  On our way down the logging road we continued to toss out calls....bout the time we hit a small pond 3/4 down we had a hen start barking/cutting hard to our calls directly behind us next to the pond.  We hit the dirt and set up...got into a good argument with her for about 5-6 minutes and got a gobble beyond her at +- 250 yds.  I suggested we shut up so they didn't get too attracted to her and we let her walk off.  After 5 mins or so we started calling again, Clint Corder glass and got an immediate response...he was closing fast...we waited for a couple more, hit the glass and he cut me off, but he was sweeping around the upper side of the pond which meant he would circle and come up from our hard right...we quickly reset around the trees, guns up.  We waited a couple more and check him....he was 50 yds out hit the logging road and we got a double gobble, yipee 2 gobblers!!!!  We waited 2 minutes and checked them softly with a  hooks mouth call, they hammered from 40 feet!, but because they were down grade 3-4 ft we couldn't see them or them us.  5 seconds later they stepped up on stage at 12 yds....a quick 3 count and down they went.  A couple solid 3 yr olds both came in at 23.5 lbs, mine had an 11" beard and 1.25" spurs right and left, and my cousins was same weight, 10" beard and 1.25 and 1 3/8" spurs.  This was our 2nd double in 3 years!!  You can see the pond in the pics and we were set up off to the right.  A very memorable hunt with super moments shared with my cousin.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 04:21:26 PM by fargobox » Logged
Turkeybuster
The Peace Keeper
Boss Tom

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 11:43:00 AM »

Congrats. to y'all there to fine birds , way to go.

Jon
Mmcdonald
Boss Tom

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 03:23:45 PM »

Awesome story Scott!! Great pics!! Congrats to both of you on some fine gobblers!!!

B-Ready
The Peace Keeper
Boss Tom

BeReady Custom Calls

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 04:24:35 PM »

Glad you all connected on a great double.... Sorry Ky turned into a bust, but it was good seeing you. Thanks again for the crack jelly....  Cheers

fargobox
Boss Tom

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 06:58:59 PM »

Always Brent...yum yum!!
Blackfalcon
Boss Tom

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 08:35:23 PM »

Congrats on a fine pair of gobblers and making memories..that's what it's all about! Thumbs Up

AlabamaDave
Boss Tom

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2016, 08:49:23 AM »

Congrats man!
Pettit877
Poult

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2016, 07:31:00 AM »

Great work!   Time to get you on a couple of these NY birds.

Eric
firedup
Boss Tom

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2016, 08:17:43 PM »

Great hunt Scott!  Great birds! A double is just pure turkey hunting goodness!!  You and your cousin even look alike....well your smiles!  LOL! 

Silverspur
The Peace Keeper
Boss Tom

I like Longbeards / Sharp Spurs

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2016, 02:53:52 PM »

Congrats thats awesome
BluMtnGobbler
Boss Tom

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2016, 05:15:14 PM »

congrats to the both of you great hunt! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

jmck
Boss Tom