Author Topic: Icebreaker - #1 down! - 3-26-16  (Read 1758 times)

Offline VGJ5

• Boss Hen
Icebreaker - #1 down! - 3-26-16
« on: March 30, 2016, 03:15:07 PM »
I got my first (and hopefully not last) of the season on Saturday (3/26).  I had a bit of a slump after scoring one for my buddy on opening day, so I was happy to get the job done with this one. 

It had been a quiet morning on some property that I am not familiar with, to say the least, and I pretty much devolved into exploring the property with the fresh/new batteries in my buggy.  I was trying to avoid the Mexican clear-cut sprayers that assumingly buggered my original spot (my Spanish is rusty), so I went towards the other side of the property.  I went a long way without hearing anything at all, until I worked my way to this rock crossing that goes south across a creek that was dry when I saw it in September.  It was NOT dry now, and after passing across three areas, the last two appeared to be in the over-my-boot range.  On the very last one, I had to get creative and hang onto overhanging branches to prevent myself from ending up in the rushing water.  I remember thinking "man, this is going to suck coming back if I end up getting a turkey down here."

When I finally made it to the other side, I was pretty disappointed to see a big clearcut that was not on my GPS app's map, along with the sound of active loggers.  I ran my walnut/wormy chestnut box call from Jeff "Snakeboots" McKamey, and immediately I heard one blow up not far from me!  I had to think quickly, as I had not even looked around for proper terrain.  I climbed up into some medium sized pines that weren't as bad as small pines (see the story of Evan's first kill), but were less than ideal.  I thought to myself that he wouldn't come into the area where I was.  With my bad ears, I was having trouble pinpointing him, so I yelped again (this time with a glass call) in an attempt to do so.  No response, so I went back to Jeff's box, and he immediately blew up even closer, so I knew he was coming and that I needed to get down.  I found the best spot I could, dropped down my decoy, and waited.  Sure enough, I saw his long neck inch in not long after that, but my gun was pointed in the opposite direction, and he was too close for me to swing and shoot without a blind.  He then stepped out in the open, not 20 steps away from me!  He popped into a strut, and I knew it was time to move my gun.  That, of course caused him to pop out of strut, and I subsequently delivered the last sight he ever saw!

This one is really special to me because it's the first one I bagged with Jeff's Twisting Creek box.  I've had many birds gobble at it, and I called two up with it last year that should be dead (one Evan couldn't get a shot on, and the other one that my cousin missed).  Now, I can say it is officially a killer, in the ranks of all of Jeff's other boxes!

Gaines   

"Turkey hunting is a series of instant tactical decisions that are invariably irreversible." - Tom Kelly

Offline Porter

• Osage Polish Mike
  • Administrator
  • Boss Tom
  • Osage Polish Mike
    • Osage Roost
Re: Icebreaker - #1 down! - 3-26-16
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2016, 04:01:52 PM »
You just keep rollin' em down there !!!!

Good luck and keep after them.  I'm sitting here looking out my window thinking, I need to go scouting.. so I'm leaving to go home now :)

Offline B-Ready

• Boss Tom
  • BeReady Custom Calls
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2016, 04:34:35 PM »
Nice job using Snakeboots call to bring in that nice bird.... Congrats!!  *gobble*

Offline GR8CALLS

• Boss Tom
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 05:02:31 PM »
Congratulations, Gaines! But try not to make Jeff's head, any bigger than it is!  *lol* *lol* *lol* I'm sure that you will put a few more in the freezer, before the season is out!  *up* *up* *up*

Bill
I'm not shy.......I'm just studying my prey!!!

The True Measure of A Man Will be Found in His Words and Deeds!

If The Enemy is in Range......So Are You!

Offline jmck

• Boss Tom
  • Twisting Creek Calls
    • Twisting Creek Calls
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 07:00:07 PM »
Too late Bill  ;D
It's already gone to my head
Even though it's not chestnut/bloodwood- I am sure proud it's found a place in your vest Gaines- hope it serves ya well and that it makes a lot of great memories in the turkey woods my friend

Offline Mmcdonald

• Boss Tom
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2016, 10:45:10 PM »
Congrats!! One of many that have taken a dirt nap after hearing ol' Snakeboots calls!

Offline AlabamaDave

• Boss Tom
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2016, 08:04:25 AM »
Good going Gaines! Congrats!

Offline Turkeybuster

• Boss Tom
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2016, 06:15:53 PM »
Way to go Gaines ya got a fine bird there.

Jon   *up*

Offline Silverspur

• Boss Tom
  • I like Longbeards / Sharp Spurs
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2016, 02:47:11 PM »
Congrats on a fine gobbler! *up*