Author Topic: ODF hunt  (Read 1994 times)

Offline savduck

• Boss Tom
ODF hunt
« on: April 13, 2015, 10:03:26 AM »
Last year i got involved with the Outdoor Dream Foundation. Its alot like the make a wish foundation. Last year saw my young hunter miss a stud gobbler that we hunted hard for all day. It was heartbreaking, because we truely hunted him all day.

This year, has been much of the same tough hunting, but the difference was my hunter kept nerves of steel and smashed the gobbler this year. Only longbeard taken on the hunt. Had about an hour and a half left of daylight.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 04:39:29 PM by savduck »

Offline Turkeybuster

• Boss Tom
Re: ODF hunt
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 10:10:24 AM »
Congrats. to you and your hunter Del that bird has quiet a beard on him what did the spurs look like? Good job.

Jon

Offline savduck

• Boss Tom
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 10:17:29 AM »
I didnt weigh him. He felt like 15 to 17lb range. 11 inch beard and 3/4 spurs. Spooky two year old that must have had his butt whipped. Worked him for two hours before he finally got in position. About a 45 yard shot.

The young man kept nerves of steel. Several times his heart sank thinking the bird was gonna slip away, but the stars lined up and he did his part. And we did it no decoys.

Whats most impressive is this young man had a tumor removed where his spinal cord met his skull. His surgeries affect his vision in one eye. I had him take some target practice with my gun Friday aftenoon and I knew he was a solid shot even with his vision issues. Im thrilled for the young man. He is a great kid.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 10:20:14 AM by savduck »

Offline Nsselle

• Boss Hen
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 10:38:37 AM »
That's awesome, congrats to both of you!

Offline Turkeybuster

• Boss Tom
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 12:37:34 PM »
I didnt weigh him. He felt like 15 to 17lb range. 11 inch beard and 3/4 spurs. Spooky two year old that must have had his butt whipped. Worked him for two hours before he finally got in position. About a 45 yard shot.

The young man kept nerves of steel. Several times his heart sank thinking the bird was gonna slip away, but the stars lined up and he did his part. And we did it no decoys.

Whats most impressive is this young man had a tumor removed where his spinal cord met his skull. His surgeries affect his vision in one eye. I had him take some target practice with my gun Friday aftenoon and I knew he was a solid shot even with his vision issues. Im thrilled for the young man. He is a great kid.

That's a wonderful experience for both of you I guess your both still walking on air. Y'all have bragging rights for sure that's a nice bird.

Jon

Offline Silverspur

• Boss Tom
  • I like Longbeards / Sharp Spurs
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 02:49:21 PM »
Congrats

Offline Mmcdonald

• Boss Tom
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 06:55:33 PM »
Great story Del! Congrats to both of you!!

Offline AlabamaDave

• Boss Tom
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2015, 07:12:43 AM »
Congrats!