Author Topic: Double Gobble #1  (Read 3771 times)

Offline limhnger

• Jake
Re: Double Gobble #1
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2013, 10:15:27 AM »
That's nice. #1 calls are special and hard to come by!  *aah*

Jeff, You know that is an understatment in more ways than one.  I know you are kidding and your #1 will roll off this ancient and worn out press soon.  I stare at part of your #1 every time I go into my shop.  It is a coming my friend. 

You think about all the callmakers out there, past and present and what has already been done.  To come up with a novel idea, that kills turkeys or helps in the process,  is a Miracle.

Double Gobble is a miracle.  Why it has never been done before, I believe, boils down to one fact.  Most callmakers try to put every kind of call that has ever been made into one box.  CAN'T BE DONE.  I have been making calls for 26 years and hunting turkeys for about 46 (did not start till college days).  I tend to believe in giving them a box that they like.  What you find is there are certain birds that will be turned on by one particular turkey sound that will move his feet.  It may be a hen or a gobbler sound.  My hunting partner, of as long as I have been hunting, would say, "make me a box that does this, or make me a box that will do that."  He has been hunting them since childhood, and now has about 15 different boxes of mine.  All that will "Do This".  One opening morning, he came down from the lodge where we hunt in South Ms.  He was having trouble negotitating the narrow stairs from the upstairs bedrooms.  I told him, "You look like Santa Clause".  He said "That's because I have 5 of your boxes in this hunting coat."   

This new box will serve a purpose both Spring and Fall, but you will need another one to compliment it.

Jeff, Before it all said and done, you my friend, will have enough Mr. E boxes to look like Santa Clause.  You can bank on that.

Mr. E

That's rite! And as we've discussed patience perseveres always.
-Jeff

Offline jmck

• Boss Tom
  • Twisting Creek Calls
    • Twisting Creek Calls
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2013, 10:19:13 AM »
Congrats Denny on the Mr E gobble box. Johns boxes are fine instruments for sure with turkey in every one of them!!
Another great box John, and a neat idea also

Jake St. John

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2013, 02:27:41 PM »
I stand corrected as Bill sent me a picture of Ben Lee's Double Gobble and stated that his call did have twin gobblers on each rail of his cost style box.  So much for the concept being a #1 but this is the first Old Style Stribbling and Old Style double call that I am aware of out there, but then again, I may be wrong.  

Bob, Since you are so knowledgeable on Ben Lee,  I have admired Ben Lee for years.  All you have to do is look at my signature.  I certainly was not trying to copy any ones idea, as I have been putting gobbler yelps in my modified Stribling Boxes for 25 years.  I certainly was not aware that he even made a Double Gobble in one of his boxes.  I will tell you this, - I called my good friend and college hunting and fraternity brother, Bobby Dale to see if he minded me naming my call Double Gobble.  His book Double Gobble has sold out and going up in value.  Bobby said no, and wished to get one at some point.

Mr. E

That double of gobble call of Ben Lee's actually looks like it is two Lynch's glued together with a double beveled paddle.  Almost looks like you could play 4 different gobblers on it.  Unbelievable :o  I think two gobbler yelps on one box is plenty.    
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 06:44:29 AM by Jake St. John »

Offline fargobox

• Boss Tom
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2013, 02:21:36 PM »
Well I can certainly see some advantages to having such a box, but Mr. E. the box you built for me  *up* gives me the diversity of a gobbler on your usual side and some great old grumby and some not so grumpy hens on the other rail.

Denny, good luck to you and be sure to let us all know how the birds respond.

Jake St. John

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2013, 03:56:41 PM »
Well I can certainly see some advantages to having such a box, but Mr. E. the box you built for me  *up* gives me the diversity of a gobbler on your usual side and some great old grumby and some not so grumpy hens on the other rail.

Denny, good luck to you and be sure to let us all know how the birds respond.

That Double Gobble box has an Old Gobbler on the left side that is achieved only with a tuning change it the way the side of the box is made.   Turpins can be easily tuned to do that but I have never done an old gobbler on one.  May be something to do.  Your Turpin was tuned with young gobbler and raspy hens.  On the young gobbler side, you can usually get a hen above it higher on that rail.  I believe Double Gobble with a pure hen box would be a good combinations to take to the woods.  Each box can compliment the other.  Flock talk if you like.

Scott, as we discussed last year in Nashville, If you EVER get tired of that Turpin, just sent it back where it came from.  I was crazy about that one. Bring it with you this year and I will let you listen to what I am talking about and show you that old gobbler and the difference.

Thanks for your input,
And I am looking forward to our time this year In Nashville.  Stay Healthy My Friend.
Mr. E

Offline fargobox

• Boss Tom
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2013, 06:37:02 PM »
John, I have no doubt that hen is hiding high on the rail, but I am still getting the hang of these turpins and I have yet to discover her, no worries cause I have found her bickering aunts and grandmother on the other rail ROTFLMBO ROTFLMBO  With no disrespect John, but you'll never get that Turpin back...oh mind you I'll be happy to bring it along to Nashville this year for some lessons, but it'll return with me *peep* *bannana* ;) ;)

The Woodsman

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2013, 07:46:44 PM »
John,
You made me a great call!! From my limited playing it, it's spot on. That old gobbler side is sweet! Two different gobblers!! Gobbles fine!! I like how you did the underside of the handle on the paddle, easy to re-orient your hand...
I can't wait to try it out on some turkeys!!!
Thanks so much!!
Denny

Jake St. John

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2013, 05:52:28 AM »
Denny, I just finished tuning an East of the Slash Cuttin Call for another PA hunter in Pittsburg.  He wanted an Old Gobbler left and a hen right, so there will at least be two Old Mr. E Gobblers running through those Pennsylvania woods.  Good luck to you my friend on your opener.

Mr. E

Offline srtc

• Jake
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2013, 06:18:48 AM »
 *up*
STONE ROAD TURKEY CALLS
3rd place 2013 norseman pot call
6th place 2013 grand nationals pot call
3rd place 2014 midwest pot call