Author Topic: Winchester Xtend Range  (Read 3972 times)

Offline gobblingghost

• Poult
Winchester Xtend Range
« on: November 13, 2011, 03:49:55 PM »
Has anyone tried these shells. I have been wanting try some in 3.5" #6. What kind of results did everybody have???

Offline Shadetree Callers

• Boss Tom
  • Bagging Big Buckeye Birds and Bucks
    • SHADETREE CALLERS
Re: Winchester Xtend Range
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 04:08:59 PM »
I have went through a full box of 3"  #6 shot . The first bird I took with them , I misjudged the distance since the bird came in across an open field . I shot when I felt like he was in range and the bird dropped on the spot . After the shot I ranged him at 50 yds ! I would not have taken such a long shot normally , but the extended range ammo dropped him in his tracks. I shot 6 birds out of that box of shells and every one hit the ground hard . It will be in my vest again this spring !
SHADETREE CALLERS...
    Treat people the same way you want them to treat you

Offline Old Geezer

• Boss Tom
    • permarturkeycalls.com
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 08:28:57 PM »
When a new shot shell for turkey comes out I try it.  But I keep coming back to the 3" #6 Extended range shells.  I also prefer them over the 3 1/2". 

Ralph
Prov 27:1 (You never know what's coming at you)

Offline Ghost Maker Calls

• Boss Tom
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 08:59:17 PM »
3" #6 Extended range for me too.  Patterns well out of my Mossburg and hits em hard.

Offline Turkeybuster

• Boss Tom
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 06:26:39 PM »
I have been useing them since they hit the market in No. 6# shot and they are outstanding.
I shoot a 3.5 Winchester Super X 2 and a Browning Gold both with a .665 choke tube.

Jon

Offline AlabamaDave

• Boss Tom
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 07:29:25 PM »
I shoot extended range too....3 inch #6.....They pattern good from my gun.

Offline gobblingghost

• Poult
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 08:51:34 PM »
where can i get  a few to try and see if my gun likes them?????

Offline firedup

• Boss Tom
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2011, 07:23:11 PM »
The WIN Xtend Range pattern real well in my guns. Not quite as good as the magblends or Nitros.  But still a very good load for turks.

Offline longbeard48

• Boss Tom
    • Mississippi Scratch Box Turkey Calls
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 09:34:04 PM »
They shoot well in my Rem 11-87 with a .655 Kicks.  I talked to Kicks about shooting Magnum Blend and Hevi 13 #7 and he talked me out of it.  Said I should read the disclaimer on the Hevi Shot.  Says Hevi is straight tungsten and there is little "give" when the shot charge goes through the choke, causing high pressures that could swell the barrel.  Says the Winchesters are tungsten + alloy, so they can compress slightly. 

Offline Porter

• Osage Polish Mike
  • Administrator
  • Boss Tom
  • Osage Polish Mike
    • Osage Roost
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 05:31:26 PM »
I have a box of #6's some where that I shot a few through...  I don't remember why I didn't stick with them... might be because they didn't make them for the 20 and when I switched to 20 they didn't make those shell in 6's.

I'm not sure where you are located, but if I can find them... I can probably arrange something for you to try a shell or two...

Offline doepee

• Boss Hen
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2012, 06:04:41 PM »
They shoot well in my Rem 11-87 with a .655 Kicks.  I talked to Kicks about shooting Magnum Blend and Hevi 13 #7 and he talked me out of it.  Said I should read the disclaimer on the Hevi Shot.  Says Hevi is straight tungsten and there is little "give" when the shot charge goes through the choke, causing high pressures that could swell the barrel.  Says the Winchesters are tungsten + alloy, so they can compress slightly. 

I have shot the heavy shot magblends and the 7's out of a  kicks .655 in a regular sbe for years and they shoot awesome.... I don't think he likes the people at heavy 13

Offline chatterbox

• Poult
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2012, 08:54:54 PM »
Since I'm a newbie here, I was checking out the gun section!
Here is my pattern with the Win XRHD. Gun is a Mossberg 835 with a SumToy .675. Range is 40 yards. Load is the 3.5-2-6's
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 05:20:44 AM by chatterbox »

Offline savduck

• Boss Tom
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2012, 10:10:17 PM »
I shot the 3 inch 6s exclusively for about 5 years until I switched to 20 gauge last year. they are great shells and hit like a hammer.