Author Topic: Buckeye Buck for 2011  (Read 2311 times)

Offline Shadetree Callers

• Boss Tom
  • Bagging Big Buckeye Birds and Bucks
    • SHADETREE CALLERS
Buckeye Buck for 2011
« on: November 11, 2011, 02:43:49 PM »
This has been a great year for deer hunting so far . I have had lots of great action and the rut is just kicking in . I sat in a stand overlooking a thicket in the morning yesterday with no deer sighted at all . I had heard some chasing going on in the dark on a nearby finger ridge, so when I needed to warm up a little , I decided to take a stroll along that ridge . I usually don't enter this area until the rut is in gear so this was my first peak since turkey season when I do my serious deer scouting mixed with turkey hunting. A good friend was going to hunt this particular spot but wasn't able to make it here so I figured now was a good time to check on it . As I walked along the ridgetop I found about 12 huge scrapes that had been freshened since the rain from the day before . It seemed like every tree on that ridge was rubbed , some as high as my shoulders. I was easing along looking at all the sign when I noticed a movement on the bench below me . I Looked closer and saw that it was a good buck with his nose to the ground on the prowl for love. I stepped next to a small oak tree and threw a couple grunts at him . That brought him another 30 yds where he stepped into the only shooting lane I had and he stopped , looking uphill for the buck that challenged him . Everything felt perfect when I let the arrow go and the buck never flinched until the arrow struck him at 40 paces . The broadhead wedged into his opposite shoulder and I could see my shaft sticking out of his chest as he whirled to run away . About 10-20 seconds later , I heard him come to a crashing halt in a pine thicket . I waited 2 hours even though he expired in less than a minute . When I recovered him , turkey vultures had already beat me to him and were busy having a meal of fresh kill . I ran them off but they hovered overhead the entire time I was dressing the deer and they even followed us back to my van . Spooky stuff there ! This buck is one that I have had on camera for 4 years now . He has always had a similiar rack even though it was bigger last year . His bases are big enough for a huge rack though . He carries 11 scoreable points  but won't score very high . He tipped the scales at 210 lbs field -dressed and had a chest bigger than I do . Normally I would wait for a larger buck but the encounter was priceless and a hunt I won't soon forget . It's a shame that my buddy can't be here to sit in that stand !  *aah*
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 02:45:02 PM by Shadetree Callers »
SHADETREE CALLERS...
    Treat people the same way you want them to treat you

Offline jmck

• Boss Tom
  • Twisting Creek Calls
    • Twisting Creek Calls
Re: Buckeye Buck for 2011
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 03:49:14 PM »
Congrats Bob.....sounds like a good hunt dude.
Who ever that friend was  *peep* *peep* *peep*, I am sure he is gonna feel bad now,I bet that friend may just go out and ruin someones day in the woods or on the lake now  *lol*

Offline bambam

• Jake
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 04:01:37 PM »
Nice buck.  *up* *up*

trb136

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 05:22:11 PM »
 *cry* *cry* *cry* *cry* *cry* *cry* Nice Deer Bud!!!

Offline charlieparrish

• Boss Tom
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 07:51:56 AM »
Wow!  Good story and a really nice buck..congrats *up* *up*
Charlie

Offline Shadowturkeycaller

• Boss Tom
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 05:49:57 AM »
Nice one FulcherBob!
Family made calls since 1987

Offline buckeye b

• Poult
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 07:37:17 AM »
Good hunt Bob. Congrats   Lonnie

Offline GR8CALLS

• Boss Tom
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 05:54:47 PM »
Congrats Bob..... *up* *up* *up* *up* Those buzzards must be pretty hungry in your area..... *peep*

Bill
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 05:55:23 PM by GR8CALLS »
I'm not shy.......I'm just studying my prey!!!

The True Measure of A Man Will be Found in His Words and Deeds!

If The Enemy is in Range......So Are You!

Offline B-Ready

• Boss Tom
  • BeReady Custom Calls
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2011, 11:04:36 AM »
That is a nice Buck Bob!! Congrats on a good hunt!!  *bannana*

Offline AlabamaDave

• Boss Tom
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2011, 01:54:28 PM »
Congrats on A fine buck!

Offline boxcaller