Author Topic: Over & Under Turkey Gun  (Read 11739 times)

Offline GR8CALLS

• Boss Tom
Re: Over & Under Turkey Gun
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2011, 03:47:09 PM »
Never saw a O/U or S/S that automatically went to safe after the first shot! That simply makes the gun a single shot..... *lol* It also defeats the purpose of having an O/U or S/S!

Bill
I'm not shy.......I'm just studying my prey!!!

The True Measure of A Man Will be Found in His Words and Deeds!

If The Enemy is in Range......So Are You!

Offline drabndouble

• Boss Hen
« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2011, 03:15:26 PM »
Just finished reading all the posts and Bill said what I was going to say . Who was the genious that came up with that one ?

Offline RAJ

• Poult
« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2011, 08:56:59 PM »
Just finished reading all the posts and Bill said what I was going to say . Who was the genious that came up with that one ?
To be clear on mine, once you shoot and replace a single shell or shells and close the receiver it goes back to safety, not as bad as the other way sounds. The way the barrel selector works on mine  just sucks though.
Most any 20 gauge using HTL loads or TSS can be choked to easily cover the 40 yard shot and still be easy on recoil while being a pleasure to tote. Weight wise a 870 20 ga in 21 or 26" bbl is pretty light and can provide extra rounds but not the options that two barrels could give.

Offline Porter

• Osage Polish Mike
  • Administrator
  • Boss Tom
  • Osage Polish Mike
    • Osage Roost
« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2011, 08:18:09 AM »
To be clear on mine, once you shoot and replace a single shell or shells and close the receiver it goes back to safety, not as bad as the other way sounds. The way the barrel selector works on mine  just sucks though.
Most any 20 gauge using HTL loads or TSS can be choked to easily cover the 40 yard shot and still be easy on recoil while being a pleasure to tote. Weight wise a 870 20 ga in 21 or 26" bbl is pretty light and can provide extra rounds but not the options that two barrels could give.

I can see that way making sense.  It's safety...

I still have to build me an O/U...  darn you guys!!!!

JOBUGG

« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2011, 09:55:03 AM »
Has anybody tried a ruger red label 20ga? I bet it would be a nice set up if dipped in camo or black........

Offline HAWAIIAN

• Jenny
« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2011, 12:20:35 PM »

I use my HK Fabarm double barrel shotgun side by side and O/U 12ga for turkey.

Offline DocHolliday

• Poult
  • NRA Benefactor Life, Senior Sponsor NWTF
« Reply #51 on: June 02, 2011, 04:28:25 PM »
Yes JOBUG, I do pack a Ruger Red Label 20 ga. Metal is camo dipped by Dan @ camo solutions. I've set up 3 O/U and 6 SxS. The SxS are a little easier to set up. The bottom bbl on the O/U's shoots about 5" low when you set top
bbl to shoot on @ 40 yds. No prob just gotta remember to shoot 'em in the head not the wattles in the open/bottom bbl. Otherwise you end up body shooting bird
Doc

JOBUGG

« Reply #52 on: June 02, 2011, 06:10:53 PM »
Do you have a Stevens 311 set up? I can get one in good condition, but I think it would need to be sent off and have chokes put in it.

Offline GR8CALLS

• Boss Tom
« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2011, 08:10:58 PM »
 I wish Fabarms had done the O/U in a 20 ga. I have 4 of the 12's and w/ 3 1/2 in shells.....they are a hand full!  *lol* *lol* *lol*.

Bill
I'm not shy.......I'm just studying my prey!!!

The True Measure of A Man Will be Found in His Words and Deeds!

If The Enemy is in Range......So Are You!

Offline DocHolliday

• Poult
  • NRA Benefactor Life, Senior Sponsor NWTF
« Reply #54 on: June 03, 2011, 07:40:12 AM »
Dont have a Stevens.  I've set up 3 CZ Bobwhites and 3 Stoegers in the SXS and 1 CZ Canvasback (single selective trigger O/U) 1 CZ Mallard (double trigger O/U) and the Ruger Red Label. All have aftermarket tubes. Mostly Trulock. All have adjustable sights.  With the SXS's, I have not found one (using sights) that when sighted "dead on" @ 40 yds did not perform adequately at distances from 10-25 yds.  I shoot fairly tight choked bbl in left or top and imp cyl, skeet or cyl chokes in the right or bottom bbl.  We killed 14 this year in these set ups.
Good Luck!

Offline Blackfalcon

• Boss Tom
« Reply #55 on: June 03, 2011, 07:46:05 AM »
Do you have a Stevens 311 set up? I can get one in good condition, but I think it would need to be sent off and have chokes put in it.
You might want to contact these folks if you feel the need to have chokes installed and price it out first  http://www.briley.com/  otherwise my advice would be to keep looking for a gun that is already threaded. Some SXS shotguns have pretty thin barrels and you would want to measure accurately to make sure you have enough wall thickness. Briley has the thinnest walled chokes available and do excellent work, it can be pricey though.

JOBUGG

« Reply #56 on: June 03, 2011, 08:22:34 AM »
I'll probably just stick with the ole 870 20ga, but I might try to find a used Ruger, I think there is one on Gunbroker..........

Offline muddpuppi

• Boss Tom
« Reply #57 on: June 04, 2011, 10:44:05 AM »
you can also check with William at SumToy Customs...he can cut and thread brls as well as build chokes for em...and he makes a mighty fine choke *up*

Offline Blackfalcon

• Boss Tom
« Reply #58 on: June 04, 2011, 11:14:46 PM »
I do like side by SXS and OU shotguns. I grew up hunting with my Dad's 311 in 16 gauge, had lots of fun days with it. I hunt now with an old Lefever 12 gauge, full and modified, 2  3/4" chambers and it does the job for me. The forcing cones were lengthened and polished which helps with the pattern, some deformation can occur at the chamber as some of the older gun were built before plastic hulls and were chambered accordingly for paper roll crimped hulls.
I don't have the range others have with tightly choked guns, or 3" or 3 1/2" chambers, but I enjoy hunting with the old gun. When the mood strikes some days I even take out the old hammer gun with 2 1/2 chambers choked full and full. On my bucket list is building a flintlock fowler, hopefully sooner rather than later. It is appealing to me to attempt to harvest a turkey with a gun I made as well as the call  ;)
I had a day this spring when I watched a tom and some hens, he was strutting at 50-60 yards and I didn't attempt a shot, but enjoyed the show. There might be some limitations, but the old guns will do the job if you call them all the way in, and are patient. 

Offline drabndouble

• Boss Hen
« Reply #59 on: June 05, 2011, 06:26:11 AM »
I like the way you think Dave concerning the doubles.

I have been reading along with all the posts . The disturbing thing to me , about the o/u's is how much has been said about the bottom barrel shooting low . Myself, I wouldn't want to have to deal with that during a hunt . Especially at the height of excitement at the moment of shooting .

I also see that having double triggers is a big advantage over some of the selectors and especially the gun mentioned that returned to safe after one shot.

My Baikal is my general purpose ,as well as my turkey gun . Point of aim = center of pattern with either barrel . The modified barrel will drop a turkey cleanly at 30 yards with 2 3/4 inch, #6's.