Author Topic: New challenges this year.  (Read 1927 times)

Offline Ozark Custom Calls

• Boss Tom
  • Custom Handcrafted Game Calls
    • Ozark Custom Calls
New challenges this year.
« on: March 27, 2011, 05:53:31 PM »
As some of you know, I got my first Pope and Young deer this year. As a reward to myself I purchased a new 2011 Z7 Extreme. I tell you what, I never thought there would be such a major difference going from my old compound to this bow....what an awesome bow. I am shooting better then ever! ........With all this said, my 12 year old daughter which always loves to watch dad shoot, subtly asked if she could get a bow too. Well I saw a used Browning Micro Adrenlin bow on craigslist with a dozen pink arrows for sale that just was calling her name. 3 weeks ago I gave her the bow. The next morning we tuned it up for her and I got her shooting it. I had to drop her draw to 25lbs so she could pull it back comfortably. that "first day" after shooting about 200 arrows.....yes 200.... she was shooting pretty darn good, so I asked her if she wanted to go to the local bow shop's 3D range. Well we did keep score, and did a half round shoot......Final scores....Dad 113.......Kid 83. I was impressed to say the least. Sunday I turned up her bow some (28lbs) so she had some more resistance to strenghten her up some. She asked to take her bow home to mom's with her and i let her. Sunday at her moms she had to show off some. Her mother was a lil worried about her accuracy only shooting for 2 days (sunday being the second) so I dragged out her target to 20yds and told Riki.... Kill it. She shot 4 arrows and hit the bulls eye 4 of 4. Mom was satisfied. Well the next two weeks went by, and I picked her up. Well Ms William Tell said "Dad.... my bow is too weak for me, it needs a few more turns put in it". I bumped her up to 33lbs.... resighted her in, and she was out back shooting again. One thing this kid has wanted to do is shoot 40yds....why??? I dont know... it was a real big deal for her, so when she asked this time, I said ok.....I dragged  the target out to 40 and had her shoot to sight in..... after 2 shots and 2 adjustments she was nailing the target. I sent her in the house for my new rangefinder so we could check dads accuracy on "eye balling it" we shot a bit more and then I checked the distance before we went in the house.....49yds.....was a oops on my part, but I realized.... darn... that kid was holding 6" groups! she has shot every day since I got her that bow. I am so tickled she has fallen in love with archery so much. Well long story short..... i had her this week for spring break.... the night I took her home (Friday) was her 3rd week shooting a bow, I took her to the bowshop by her house and we both tried out Technohunt. For those who dont know what technohunt is, its like a 20yd movie theature kevlar screen you shoot at and you can "virtually" hunt all different kinds of animals and go head to head with another hunter. We had a blast!

and I am not to proud to say......

Final Score...

Dad 170
Riki Sue 171

Richard

Offline AlanKrow

• Boss Tom
Re: New challenges this year.
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 07:51:21 PM »
Richard,
That's Awesome.. and Congrats on the new bow *cheers* but you know which one i would got *wha*(Hoyt Carbon Element) but.....are you shooting indoor or outdoor.. the outdoors 3d are allot fun. RkLu Tell her too stick with it, and Good Luck...
Maybe someday I will see her at IBO National Triple Crown.. *up* *up*
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 07:35:49 AM by AlanKrow »

Offline Ozark Custom Calls

• Boss Tom
  • Custom Handcrafted Game Calls
    • Ozark Custom Calls
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 08:53:07 PM »
Richard,
That's Awesome.. and Congrats on the new bow *cheers* but you know which one i would got *wha*(Hoyt Carbon Element) but.....are you shooting indoor or outdoor.. the outdoors 3d are allot fun. RkLu Tell her too stick with it, and Good Luck...
Maybe someday I will see her a IBO National Triple Crown.. *up* *up*

Well Alan.......she will be shooting her first outdoor 3D tournament in a couple weeks.... I will keep you posted....She is dying to do it, so I am gonna let her!

Offline Bulldogmikey

• Boss Tom
  • R.I.P. from the Osage Roost Family
    • m2calls
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 09:17:42 PM »
That is an awesome story Richard! I know how much you love that daughter and now....she out shoots the ole man! Keep her shootin! Great story again!

Mike
Rom 1:17 For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.

Offline charlieparrish

• Boss Tom
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 09:32:12 AM »
Love it, Richard..it is a great thing to get your kids involved in doing *up*
Charlie

Offline Porter

• Osage Polish Mike
  • Administrator
  • Boss Tom
  • Osage Polish Mike
    • Osage Roost
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 02:29:09 PM »
Great story man.  Love watching my son shoot bows too!!