Author Topic: Barrel length question  (Read 2238 times)

Offline woodwzrd

• Boss Hen
    • Final Strut Custom Game Calls
Barrel length question
« on: March 23, 2011, 03:03:55 PM »
I am looking at getting a new mosberg 535. The question I have is would I get better patterns with a longer 28" water fowl barrel with a turkey choke or the shorter 22" barrel?
Final Strut Custom Game Calls

Offline Drum817

• Boss Hen
Re: Barrel length question
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 10:16:17 PM »
I would split the difference and get a 24" or 26".   Some folks find that the shorter barrels are a touch more "picky" about delivering the best pattern.  Personally I wouldn't want to manuver a 28" barrel in the turkey woods...plus the extra weight...but that's just me.   Hope that helps a little bit.

"FREEDOM HAS NEVER BEEN FREE"

JOBUGG

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 03:30:10 PM »
I would try the 22" barrel and use a turkey choke.............

Offline woodwzrd

• Boss Hen
    • Final Strut Custom Game Calls
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 04:59:44 PM »
Sooo. I ended going in a different direction. I gave it some serious thought and I allready have a Mossberg 500 w/ 3" chamber which I can use for the very little wing shooting I do. I made a few phone calls and now have a 535 turkey/deer combo on order. It comes with a 22" turkey barrel with adjustable fiber optics and a 24" fully rifled slug barrel. Now to be patient until it gets here.   *bannana* It should get here with enough time to pattern a few different loads through it just in time for my season. Any recommendations on  turkey loads? In my 500 winchester copper 6's shot the best.
Final Strut Custom Game Calls

Offline Zumer

• Boss Tom
  • The Mod that banned Porter
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 06:32:51 PM »
I don't shoot a Mossberg, but If I remember correctly, there was talk about Jellyhead chokes putting a mighty fine pattern down range w/ Hevi-6's.......
  Prostaff member of the Wife's Honey-Do list...

Offline woody

• Jenny
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 08:59:49 AM »
I would not worry about the barrel length.  I have turkey guns set up with short and long barrels and they all shoot just as good. When you hear about longer barrels patterning better etc. it is from the guys shooting still targets.  Longer barreled guns may put a few more pellets in the 10" circle but really doesn't matter for hunting.  I think guys get too hung up in 10" circle numbers for hunting.  I always like to have a good even 20" pattern for hunting.  I do count pellets but I do not stress/strive to get a specific number.  I just want a good even killing pattern.  Most of my turkey guns are shorter barrels 21"-24".  That is what I prefer.  I think they are better for carrying through the woods and manuverability when set up on a bird.

Offline Old Geezer

• Boss Tom
    • permarturkeycalls.com
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2011, 06:03:00 AM »
I agree with Woody.

Ralph
Prov 27:1 (You never know what's coming at you)

Offline gbblr-killer

• Boss Tom
  • D' OH!
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 02:43:59 PM »
try federal's #5 or 6's, I've used both with good success

Sloppy_Snood

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2011, 09:20:46 AM »
I am looking at getting a new mosberg 535. The question I have is would I get better patterns with a longer 28" water fowl barrel with a turkey choke or the shorter 22" barrel?
Unless you area belly-crawler or hunting in the Amazon, I would not worry with the short barrels (overrated IMO).  The longer 26" and 28" barrels are just fine and easier to find "turkey patterns" with.  I use 24" barrels plus a 2-inch extended turkey choke (IC BDS) and more recently a custom Savage 220 20GA with a 30-inch tapered bull barrel and extended 20GA turkey choke. 

All work fine.  Running and gunning is the only "need" for shorter 20-inch barrels, etc.

Offline RAJ

• Poult
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2011, 08:55:19 AM »
Unless you area belly-crawler or hunting in the Amazon, I would not worry with the short barrels (overrated IMO).  The longer 26" and 28" barrels are just fine and easier to find "turkey patterns" with.  I use 24" barrels plus a 2-inch extended turkey choke (IC BDS) and more recently a custom Savage 220 20GA with a 30-inch tapered bull barrel and extended 20GA turkey choke. 

Scott,
Have you given any thought of putting a camera on the end of the barrel for up close pics? Just kidding there . That monster gun looks awesome. I hunt very very thick woods and I never shoulder a gun going through the bushes. I have 22-28" bbl guns myself and never worry about how am I gonna get through these bushes with that gobbler only 200 yards away.

All work fine.  Running and gunning is the only "need" for shorter 20-inch barrels, etc.

Offline woody

• Jenny
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2011, 07:16:04 PM »
I wish I could find someone to make a barre lin the 23-24" range for my 20 ga. 870.  I really like the 24" barrel on my benelli's  and 23" in the 12 ga 870.

Anyone know of a barrel maker out there that makes 870 barrels?

Offline RAJ

• Poult
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2011, 08:38:47 PM »
You can send a 26 or 28" to Sumtoy custom chokes and they can fix you up. You aren't going to find but like 21 26 28 from Rem barrels .

Offline muddpuppi

• Boss Tom
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2011, 08:47:10 PM »
You can send a 26 or 28" to Sumtoy custom chokes and they can fix you up. You aren't going to find but like 21 26 28 from Rem barrels .

William just did one for a guy while i was there today *up*
heck of a nice guy and great work to boot *up* *up*