Author Topic: It's That Time of Year Again!  (Read 623 times)

Offline Bulldogmikey

• Boss Tom
  • R.I.P. from the Osage Roost Family
    • m2calls
It's That Time of Year Again!
« on: December 09, 2010, 08:40:11 AM »
Matthew 11:28-30
" 28Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
29Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
30For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

What a busy time of year! Christmas, so much coming at you it's easy to miss the true joy.

When we were at Seminary in New Orleans, my boys were small. I noticed them getting caught up (and was delighted by the way) in all the excitement of what Christmas means to a child. So Karen and I talked and we decided to do something real simple to teach them the best part of Christmas. We had taught them that Christmas was about God's gift to mankind. His son Jesus Christ. The Greatest Gift of all. And giving was what Christmas was all about. So we decided to make some bag lunches and I would take the boys to downtown New Orleans at night and find homeless people and let the boys offer them a free meal. Oh I was worried. New Orleans is a dangerous place especially after dark. But we went, trusting God. The boys would walk up to those men and women and even one family and hand them a sack and say "Merry Christmas". It changed everything about Christmas for us as a family. A few years later at my 1st church in Georgia the kids had the idea to gather coats that the congregation had they didn't wear or they could buy one and we would take the kids in the bus to Atlanta and give out the coats to the homeless as well as a sack lunch we put together for them. It transformed a lot of those young people as well as the adults who went along. A lot of tears, happy tears that night.

As the Christmas season gets "busy" remember, his "yoke" is giving"! Remember Jesus said "my yoke is easy, and my burden is light".

Bro Mike
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 11:31:56 AM by Bulldogmikey »
Rom 1:17 For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.