Author Topic: Using dogs for turkey hunting  (Read 1232 times)

Offline Porter

• Osage Polish Mike
  • Administrator
  • Boss Tom
  • Osage Polish Mike
    • Osage Roost
Using dogs for turkey hunting
« on: September 04, 2009, 10:40:59 PM »
Ok this seems like a dumb question, but unfortunately us Show-Me boys cannot hunt birds with dogs.  I'd like to know how do you do it?  I read articles about it, but I'd like to know how you train the dogs and how it actually works.  I think it would be something that would be a lot of fun! 

Opinions on using dogs vs not using dogs?  Fair/Unfair?  I know some states allow dogs for deer hunting and MO changed to allow dogs to trail shot deer.

Just curious.

Offline Zumer

• Boss Tom
  • The Mod that banned Porter
Re: Using dogs for turkey hunting
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 06:08:14 AM »
Porter,

I've been forunate enough to hunt a few years in the fall with Marlin Watkins and his turkey dog.....He has a John Brynes turkey dog. It's bred to hunt turkeys. As the training goes, it would be allot like training any other bird dog, but using turkey scent (wings) instead of any other bird scent.....

Using dogs is a allot of fun...... The bust is so much better with a dog. The dog gets a nose full of scent and off they go...You just stand still and listen for  the barking during the break and the turkeys flying......Marlin has a GPS unit on his dog to keep track of where she is and the area where she broke the birds.

Penna. allows turkey dogs as of last fall. I think, it's a great way to hunt turkeys. It also helps the older gentleman, that can't get around as good as they once did to be able to hunt. The dog does 90% of the work......After the break, the dog goes in a bag and the calling beings. If your hard of hearing and watch the dog, it will tell you which direction the birds are going in from thru their body lanquage and head direction.

Zips
  Prostaff member of the Wife's Honey-Do list...

Mzlhunter

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 06:31:36 AM »
Porter,

Check out the American Wild Turkey Dog Association website. They have a lot of useful information posted there.

hunter22

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2009, 06:50:46 AM »
Zips,

I would love to try that. I bet it is a blast with Marlin.

Dcoleinpa

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2009, 07:02:02 AM »
Porter,

Check out the American Wild Turkey Dog Association website. They have a lot of useful information posted there.

this is a great site *up*

Offline J R Hunt Camp

• Boss Tom
  • "take 'em to the woods"
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2009, 07:20:40 AM »
Zips,

I would love to try that. I bet it is a blast with Marlin.

... no kiddin' - Marlin was tellin' me about fall huntin' with the dogs last time I talked with him - sounds like a definate "must do" for sure ... RkLu

"would sure hate to hav' to pick between the two of 'em"                                                                                     TFM 101 ... ::)

Offline Porter

• Osage Polish Mike
  • Administrator
  • Boss Tom
  • Osage Polish Mike
    • Osage Roost
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2009, 09:22:43 AM »
Thanks guys.  Kansas does allow dog hunting and it's not that far away from me.  They even have a 4 bird limit. 

I'm going to check out the site and might just have to get me a dog!!!

Offline Zumer

• Boss Tom
  • The Mod that banned Porter
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2009, 07:34:48 PM »
Fella's,

It is a great time.......Marlin is a great host......Plus, he always has a ton of calls to play after the hunting day is finished.

Zips
  Prostaff member of the Wife's Honey-Do list...

wisturkeyhunter

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2009, 10:38:48 PM »
This is how I do it. Its not the traditional way but its fun and rewarding way to hunt with the dog.

I go out with our male french brittany and take him through the woods where I figure both grouse and turkeys will be. I have a cylinder choke and light load in my gun ready for a grouse shall he come across one and point it. If he comes across turkey scent he will track em and chase em until every one is in the air. When He bust a flock of turkeys I then switch to heavier loads and a tighter choke. We sit down and I call em in. He does a pretty good job of pointing grouse and flushing turkeys. He seems to know the difference and I can certainly tell which of the 2 birds he is working. Someday I would like to have a dedicated turkey dog probably have a boykin for turkeys and a brittany for the uplands.

Offline Porter

• Osage Polish Mike
  • Administrator
  • Boss Tom
  • Osage Polish Mike
    • Osage Roost
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2009, 10:49:53 PM »
I was going to ask, how do you keep the dog from going after one or the other.. You answered my question with a dedicated dog...

With the way you do it, you can kill two birds with one stone!

I wish we allowed dogs.  I don't see why we do not here in MO.  I don't see a real advantage.  You still have to call the bird in!!  No difference than any other form of bird hunting.

I hope one day to hunt with dogs.

turkeybeagle

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2009, 09:29:27 PM »
I have hunted turkey with my beagles for years ...

turkeybeagle ;D

Offline Bulldogmikey

• Boss Tom
  • R.I.P. from the Osage Roost Family
    • m2calls
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2009, 06:54:06 PM »
Ask sooner he has a great dog.

Mike
Rom 1:17 For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.

Offline Gobbleking57

• Boss Tom
  • Become one with the birds........
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2009, 01:56:58 AM »
This is how I do it. Its not the traditional way but its fun and rewarding way to hunt with the dog.

I go out with our male french brittany and take him through the woods where I figure both grouse and turkeys will be. I have a cylinder choke and light load in my gun ready for a grouse shall he come across one and point it. If he comes across turkey scent he will track em and chase em until every one is in the air. When He bust a flock of turkeys I then switch to heavier loads and a tighter choke. We sit down and I call em in. He does a pretty good job of pointing grouse and flushing turkeys. He seems to know the difference and I can certainly tell which of the 2 birds he is working. Someday I would like to have a dedicated turkey dog probably have a boykin for turkeys and a brittany for the uplands.

Be sure and show us some pics on those dead turkeys . Should be intereting to see how good they and your calling works...... ;)
Dare to be different.........

Offline AWTHDA

• Poult
    • American Wild Turkey Hunting Dog Association
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2009, 08:26:40 AM »
Porter - there's a fellow from Missouri that's been working on getting dogs allowed for fall turkey there for several years. His name is Ralph and his email is listed 6 rows down from the top of the Legislation page http://trkyhntr.home.att.net/legislation.html I'm sure he'd be glad to hear from you and could use your help. Ralph may not use email much and would prefer a phone call, PM me and I'll send you his number. Jon
We hunt turkeys, one bark at a time. http://www.turkeydog.org/

Offline Porter

• Osage Polish Mike
  • Administrator
  • Boss Tom
  • Osage Polish Mike
    • Osage Roost
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2009, 09:21:21 AM »
Porter - there's a fellow from Missouri that's been working on getting dogs allowed for fall turkey there for several years. His name is Ralph and his email is listed 6 rows down from the top of the Legislation page http://trkyhntr.home.att.net/legislation.html I'm sure he'd be glad to hear from you and could use your help. Ralph may not use email much and would prefer a phone call, PM me and I'll send you his number. Jon

PM sent!  Thanks for the info!  Maybe working together, we can change the MO laws too!