Author Topic: ... kool hunt ---- 1st bird of my season ...  (Read 3832 times)

Offline J R Hunt Camp

• Boss Tom
  • "take 'em to the woods"
... kool hunt ---- 1st bird of my season ...
« on: March 17, 2010, 07:32:14 AM »

Was fortunate enough to run across & take this nice two year old 17 3/8 lb Eastern on a long mornin’ hunt yesterday …  8)

Had seen 3 hens & a group of 7 jakes on the way in, when I spotted another hen at the top side of one of my off the road clover fields …
Settled in at the bottom of the field to get a better look & try a little callin’ – after a couple of yelps & cluck/cackles, she moved out in the open & was followed by 3 other hens, & then this guy came out all blown-up & struttin’ for all he was worth – more hens followed for a total of 9 – this young guy was in hen heaven for sure …
A few more calls got the lead hens attention, but neither she nor he was leavin’ the group – I decided to settle in & watch the show, this dude strutted the whole time – ‘bout an hour later I decided to move up to about 1/3 of the way up the field, & headed up a deer trail to get into position – after settlin’ in I yelped & cluck/cackled again, & this time was greeted by a gobble from behind my left shoulder from the tree line ridge a little ways off – cool, a 2nd gobbler in the area – so I decided to move back to my original position to get a better look at the field; just in case the 2nd gobbler might move on in & run into the group on the field …

I watched as the group headed to the top of the field & out via the path up at the top – decided to wait it out & have a little in the field lunch; as one hen was draggin’ behind the others & still partly visible from my vantage point – I just sat back; & thought about what a great hunt I’d had so far, & to enjoy the day – after about 45 minutes of layin’ back, I did some soft yelps on the short box & a couple of clucks on the mouth call; & one of the hens responded back to me - from the field top path came 1 hen, then it was 3 hens; I picked up the binos & could see the top of the fan of the strutter followin’ behind them – when it got to 6 hens comin’ back & the strutter was in plain view I decided to move back to my previous position up the field …

… it seemed like forever before I could see the 1st couple of hens & they unfortunately were headin’ for the other side of the field – I managed a little soft hen talk with the mouth call & one of the hens responded back – it took while to be able to see that a couple of the hens were comin’ on my side of the field & getting’ close, but the click vrrrmmm of the strutter let me know he was on my side of the field with ‘em – I listened to him spit & drum for what seemed to be a hundred times before he got to a position I was sure about – my mouth was pretty dry at this point, so I pulled the short box close to my body & opened the lid just a little …
… after a quick pop on the short box lid resulted in a great cluck, his head came out of the tuck; & that was the last thing he ever heard, & a great finale to a great hunt & even better day – sat him down in his tracks at about 15 yards; or so; & there was no floppin’ about it … 8)

… never did see or hear from the 2nd gobbler, but hopefully that’ll be another story for another day / hunt …  ::)

« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 03:38:29 PM by J R Hunt Camp »
"would sure hate to hav' to pick between the two of 'em"                                                                                     TFM 101 ... ::)

Offline Harrison

• Jake
    • Harrison Game Calls
Re: ... kool hunt ...
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 08:03:01 AM »
Now that is a Great Day!!!  Congrats on the fine bird and thanks for the fine story put with the pics...

Steve
It's the only bird I hunt that will actually stand there and let me shoot him...

letinmfly

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 08:11:15 AM »
Congrats Jim!  *cheers*

Fine story to set up the hunt for us.  RkLu

Offline Ghost Maker Calls

• Boss Tom
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 08:13:12 AM »
Congrats Jim!

Offline Bulldogmikey

• Boss Tom
  • R.I.P. from the Osage Roost Family
    • m2calls
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 09:25:30 AM »
Great story and congratulations! Thanks for sharing, got me excited just playing it through my mind. I know Mr. Parrish likes that picture!!

Mike
Rom 1:17 For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.

Silverspur

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 10:04:32 AM »
Great story and a nice gobbler!.  Congrats! *up*

Offline Daryl

• Boss Tom
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 10:41:57 AM »
Great job buddy!!!!!!!! Great story too!!

Now go get another one.

SurroundedByOutlaws

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 11:25:38 AM »
thats the way to start the season- great bird and even greater hunt         *bannana*

Offline AlanKrow

• Boss Tom
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 12:42:49 PM »

Offline Porter

• Osage Polish Mike
  • Administrator
  • Boss Tom
  • Osage Polish Mike
    • Osage Roost
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 01:29:17 PM »
Great job man and what a story!  Love your pics and man that makes me want to get out and hunt!

Offline superstrutter

• Boss Tom
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 03:07:40 PM »
Good job, that's the way to kick it all off! *up*

SS Custom Calls

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 05:59:20 PM »
Good job, that's the way to kick it all off! *up*

Way to hang with 'em buddy!!! Congrats, and thanks for sharing the story.  *cheers*

Al

Offline CCCalls

• Boss Tom
  • Clayton Custom Calls
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2010, 07:55:36 PM »
Congrats Jim, on a super hunt. *gobble* *gobble*

Timbo.

Offline Shadetree Callers

• Boss Tom
  • Bagging Big Buckeye Birds and Bucks
    • SHADETREE CALLERS
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2010, 08:53:54 PM »
GREAT BIRD. GREAT STORY !!
SHADETREE CALLERS...
    Treat people the same way you want them to treat you

Offline Zumer

• Boss Tom
  • The Mod that banned Porter
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2010, 08:58:37 PM »
 *bannana* That's how you get started.....Congrats to ya......Hanging tough were ya?? RkLu
  Prostaff member of the Wife's Honey-Do list...