Author Topic: Your favorite scratch boxes  (Read 3257 times)

Offline beards and hooks

• Poult
Your favorite scratch boxes
« on: June 17, 2020, 07:28:40 AM »
  Hi member here and OG and was curious  of your favorite scratch boxes, this was once a thriving website curious if I get any responses to this. I have probably about 20 scratchers and I am really starting to like them a few of my favorites so far are from  Ernie Fetters, Basehore, Mississippi Scratch box (Tom Crooks), Dry Bayou (Joe Sherrod),  S&S, L&L, and Lonnie Mabry.

Offline PA Boxcall

• Boss Tom
  • That's this about that.
Re: Your favorite scratch boxes
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2020, 07:56:13 PM »
  Hi member here and OG and was curious  of your favorite scratch boxes, this was once a thriving website curious if I get any responses to this. I have probably about 20 scratchers and I am really starting to like them a few of my favorites so far are from  Ernie Fetters, Basehore, Mississippi Scratch box (Tom Crooks), Dry Bayou (Joe Sherrod),  S&S, L&L, and Lonnie Mabry.

This was once a hopping joint in its heyday. I agree with you - my favs are Ernie, SS and Mississippi. But my hands down favorite is Bob Fulcher at Shadetree. He builds an awesome scratcher - it will kee kee, got a couple different yelps in it. Runs like a long box. Crazy stuff.
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat."  Jim Spencer

Offline beards and hooks

• Poult
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2020, 02:19:04 PM »

This was once a hopping joint in its heyday. I agree with you - my favs are Ernie, SS and Mississippi. But my hands down favorite is Bob Fulcher at Shadetree. He builds an awesome scratcher - it will kee kee, got a couple different yelps in it. Runs like a long box. Crazy stuff.
  Thanks for the response Pa. have heard his scratchers are good might have to try one at some point. Where in Pa. are you bud Perry County here?

Offline PA Boxcall

• Boss Tom
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2020, 06:40:31 PM »
Not far from Pittsburgh.

The Super Yelper is another great little call. I have one of Richard's all walnut that rides in the shirt pocket many spring mornings.

Went through a stage few years back, ended up with a dozen or more scratchers from call makers on our lists. They are fun to run.

Offline beards and hooks

• Poult
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2020, 08:37:57 PM »
Not far from Pittsburgh.

The Super Yelper is another great little call. I have one of Richard's all walnut that rides in the shirt pocket many spring mornings.

Went through a stage few years back, ended up with a dozen or more scratchers from call makers on our lists. They are fun to run.
  I very easily could have added Richards, I have the walnut as well and purpleheart they are players as well. I am going through that stage right now have three more being made by Tom crooks Mississippi scratch box and three from Ernie Fetters as well excited to get them.

Offline Porter

• Osage Polish Mike
  • Administrator
  • Boss Tom
  • Osage Polish Mike
    • Osage Roost
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2020, 08:58:12 PM »
One of my favorites was one made by Charlie Parrish and Tim Clayton!

I could really play Tim's very well... haven't touched it in years and need to bring it back out for fall hunting!

Offline PA Boxcall

• Boss Tom
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2020, 08:11:14 PM »
 * hi *

Hey - a Porter sighting! Hope all is well. Miss our community you built here on this forum! Plus I have an encyclopedia of turkey hunting and turkey calls stored away in my private messages here!

You're gonna love the Fetters scratcher, Beards. That call, like everything he crafts, is just perfect. Same with Tom - I have several from him too. Even made my own strikers for my little collection just trying to expand the sounds I can get.

Offline Porter

• Osage Polish Mike
  • Administrator
  • Boss Tom
  • Osage Polish Mike
    • Osage Roost
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2020, 05:58:04 PM »
I know..  been working on the site and cleaning it up.  I miss the good ole days, but life got away from me and trying to figure out what to do with the site...  I don't want to just shut it down, yet not sure if you could resurrect it or not.. I take full blame on that. 

Life just got in the way and with facebook, everything is so much different these days!

Offline beards and hooks

• Poult
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2020, 02:11:12 PM »

I could really play Tim's very well... haven't touched it in years and need to bring it back out for fall hunting!
  interesting Porter I will look those guys up, know if they are still making calls?

Offline beards and hooks

• Poult
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2020, 02:13:37 PM »
* hi *

Hey - a Porter sighting! Hope all is well. Miss our community you built here on this forum! Plus I have an encyclopedia of turkey hunting and turkey calls stored away in my private messages here!

You're gonna love the Fetters scratcher, Beards. That call, like everything he crafts, is just perfect. Same with Tom - I have several from him too. Even made my own strikers for my little collection just trying to expand the sounds I can get.
 Very cool about the strikers Pa. I already have two from Ernie and 2 from Tom they are darn good scratchers really like them.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 10:01:40 AM by beards and hooks »

Offline Porter

• Osage Polish Mike
  • Administrator
  • Boss Tom
  • Osage Polish Mike
    • Osage Roost
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2020, 07:31:01 AM »

interesting Porter I will look those guys up, know if they are still making calls?

Charlie Parrish, unfortunately isn't, but he might have some lying around he already built.  Tim was the last time I know.  Both guys are out of Florida too!

Offline beards and hooks

• Poult
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2020, 07:15:18 PM »

Charlie Parrish, unfortunately isn't, but he might have some lying around he already built.  Tim was the last time I know.  Both guys are out of Florida too!
[/quote  
  Appreciate that Porter, thanks bud!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 07:16:36 PM by beards and hooks »

Offline firedup

• Boss Tom
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2020, 06:03:51 AM »
Another couple of scratch box builders to check out are Josh Farley and Jeff White. Both WV callmakers and both building solid award winning Scratchers!  *up*

Offline West Augusta

• Boss Tom
  • West By God Virginia.
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2020, 08:53:12 AM »
Brian Aliff BKArt on here also makes a great sounding scratch box.  And is art work on them is amazing. 
Twitter @WestAugusta        @UnicoiCallShow

Parler  @WestAugusta

Offline Silverspur

• Boss Tom
  • I like Longbeards / Sharp Spurs
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2020, 12:11:04 PM »
Man that is a great question! Some that I like are Lapp, Basehore, Bowles, Tate Willliams, Toby Ledbetter , The Super Yelper, Bob Fulcher And Tim Bullock to name a few.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 12:15:00 PM by Silverspur »