July 18, 2018, 02:18:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: That's a wrap!  (Read 677 times)
VGJ5
Boss Hen

« on: May 04, 2017, 09:06:24 PM »

Here is my bird from 4/19.  Not the biggest, but at least I didn't get skunked this year!  7/8" spurs on each side with a 9 1/8" beard, and he weighed in at 18 pounds.

It was a great hunt, with him sneaking to flank me from my right with a partner while I was waiting for the one gobbling in front of me.  The one in front of me was blowing up at Mike Lapp's Canarywood/Leopardwood box, as they always do, as well as with my new ceramic call from Gary Anderson (Daybreak Calls).  When I noticed the two sneakers out of the corner of my eye, I had no cover and no help from mother nature - just wide open space between me and the two gobblers at about 20 steps away!  I was sitting 90 degrees away from them with the worst side profile position you could imagine.  I couldn't decide whether I should try the swing and shoot or let them keep walking.  One turned away, and one of them made my decision a lot easier by starting to putt.  I swung, the one facing me ran, and I rolled the other one over!  Those were the first two gobblers I had actually seen all season, so it was a good day to say the least.

I rolled another one about a week later on 4/24, but it had a heart-breaking ending.  I watched him sail down in front of me at about 85-100 yards after some good tree talking between us.  I don't know if he could see my decoy behind me, but he didn't want to come in at first.  He was sneaking around behind some thick stuff, and I could see him pop into a strut, pop out and look around, moving left right behind that stuff.  It seemed like I had my gun up on my knee forever, and my right leg fell completely asleep.  I pulled out my little A.J. Cassette push-pin from my vest as stealthily as possible, and that finally did the trick (he even gobbled right in front of me).  I had to kind of prop my left elbow up on my left knee to finally get the shot because he had moved to my right.  Perfect distance for my gun, I aimed for the head like always (straight at the face, which may be a little too high with my gun), he flopped, and when I jumped up to stomp him my right leg gave out and I almost fell straight over!  At the same time, he was floating backwards with his flopping, when he popped up off the ground and started sprinting away!  I did my best attempt to hobble after him for a followup shot, but a perfect U-shaped root grabbed my only good/left foot, and this time I DID fall flat on my face, as well as ripped my pocket and lost my phone/striker/other items for about an hour and a half.  I found blood, feathers, but unfortunately no bird.  Good thing I fully harvested that first one, because the second one is going to haunt me for awhile.  I usually am pretty bummed at the end of turkey season (still am), but I have to admit that this time I need the rest!

- Gaines
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 09:11:49 PM by VGJ5 » Logged

"Turkey hunting is a series of instant tactical decisions that are invariably irreversible." - Tom Kelly
AlabamaDave
Boss Tom

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 05:30:35 PM »

Way to go bro! I like pics of dead gobblers!...Pretty woods!

I hate the other one got away, maybe he'll live and you can have round 2 next year!
Mmcdonald
Boss Tom

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2017, 04:13:40 AM »

Congrats!!

Turkeybuster
The Peace Keeper
Boss Tom

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2017, 01:25:22 PM »

Congrats. Gaines that's a nice bird.

Jon
VGJ5
Boss Hen

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 08:24:32 PM »

Way to go bro! I like pics of dead gobblers!...Pretty woods!

I hate the other one got away, maybe he'll live and you can have round 2 next year!

Thanks all! 

And Dave, I hope that dirty bird lived.  I doubt it, judging from where I aim and what I found, but I'll be looking for that one-eyed gobbler next year!

"Turkey hunting is a series of instant tactical decisions that are invariably irreversible." - Tom Kelly
firedup
Boss Tom

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 04:01:13 PM »

Great story....CONGRATS!!....he's probably not the ONLY one eyed gobbler out there.. Wink

Silverspur
The Peace Keeper
Boss Tom

I like Longbeards / Sharp Spurs

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2017, 06:01:30 PM »

Congrats! Thumbs Up
B-Ready
The Peace Keeper
Boss Tom

BeReady Custom Calls

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2017, 11:13:26 AM »

Cool... Congrats!!

Turkeybuster
The Peace Keeper
Boss Tom

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2017, 01:34:07 AM »

If you didn't hit any vitals he will make it I shot more tan one bird carrying old shot a few with different size shot from past years.

Jon
jmck
Boss Tom

Twisting Creek Calls

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2017, 02:02:21 PM »

congrats on the bird and condolences on the "episode" Gaines

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: