Author Topic: Old Callmakers, Old Turkeys, And Special Calls  (Read 4726 times)

Jake St. John

Old Callmakers, Old Turkeys, And Special Calls
« on: March 05, 2017, 04:42:16 PM »
Old Callmakers,, Old Turkeys, and Special Calls
Yesterday I was invited to a Spring gathering, if you will, of Turkey Callmakers at BassPro in
Pearl,Ms. Some old, some new, and some that just came to see old friends . ---- Several
thoughts on the day!!! It is Comical, how the conversations always ends up with an old
Mississippi Monarch of a Turkey and a Special Call. All Old Callmakers have these Special birds
and calls that they work them with. Some display them and will readily tell you the history f
them. How back in such and such year he ran into an old bird way back in some holler, and
how he was ͞reduced to possession͟ as Nash Buckingham once stated. This is all in hopes that
you will fork out the going price for his calls. Others are the ͞Silent but Deadly Callmakers.
They are soft spoken fellows that accidentally let their coat pocket fall open. Where a brand
new, shiny, Jewel of turkey sounds is shyly produced and proceeds to utter forth a series of
sexy Mississippi River hen talk that would make any fine Southern Gentleman lose his senses
and issue the loudest Gobble he could muster. Then there are the calls themselves. Each held
and played in different ways. But one factor is realized, Each callmaker has in his possession a
certain call or calls that suit his style of calling. Those calls will not be sold at any price. They
are the Crème De Crème. They will be passed down from Generation to Generation. Such are
Old Callmakers and Special Calls. Mr. E
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 04:44:11 PM by Jake St. John »

Offline Mmcdonald

• Boss Tom
Re: Old Callmakers, Old Turkeys, And Special Calls
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 07:16:49 PM »
Nice story Mr. E.!!

Offline Blackfalcon

• Boss Tom
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 09:07:14 AM »
I would love to be at that gathering...I might even bring a special call..not for sale at any price...and a story or two. Enjoy my friend!

Offline GR8CALLS

• Boss Tom
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 12:17:50 PM »
 I'm thinking, Old call makers are just like Old fishermen......dangerous!!!  ROTFLMBO ROTFLMBO ROTFLMBO ROTFLMBO ROTFLMBO

Bill
I'm not shy.......I'm just studying my prey!!!

The True Measure of A Man Will be Found in His Words and Deeds!

If The Enemy is in Range......So Are You!