June 25, 2019, 02:14:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Double barrels  (Read 7364 times)
The Woodsman
Boss Hen

« on: December 19, 2015, 08:22:17 AM »

This section needs a new thread.... my call buying has waned off and went a little different direction, I still snag a couple gems when the opportunity presents itself but no where near what it used to be.

Does anyone else use them for turkey hunting? I think they are one of the best guns for turkey, a close range barrel and one for longer shots. I bought a like new Browning Citori Satin Hunter a couple years ago that started me out on doubles and it piqued my interest enough to add a couple more in sub gauges. Reloading these make them legitimate turkey takers in all respects. I am also a fan of a good camo dip for turkey hunting.....

I have heard and read of POA/POI issues with doubles but have not experienced it yet.

Browning Citori

Stevens 555 in .410

Before the dip

After and some luck

My newest addition which I feel will be my favorite gun in the future, it has yet to have a round through it but have high hopes.

C/Z Sharptail SxS in 28 gauge

Before the dip

And after

Thanks for the look and if you got any pics of your double barrel, post up

Denny
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 08:52:39 AM by The Woodsman » Logged
Mmcdonald
Boss Tom

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2015, 08:33:40 PM »

Sweet looking guns!!

Turkeybuster
The Peace Keeper
Boss Tom

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2015, 08:58:53 PM »

Denny I used my citori hard on geese , turkeys and the sporting clays course with good results.
A friend of mine swears by his 28 ga. OU beretta for pheasants. One good point is malfunctions are rare.

Jon
Colt P
Jake

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2015, 09:29:26 AM »

I LOVE my double guns. Around here all the old people that i grew up around wanted a hard shootin double gun with 30" in the barrel. We didnt have turkeys thay hunted squirrel and quail and Rabbit Beagle dogs and squirrel huntin was big when i was a kid and i still love to hunt um(and eat um). When turkey huntin started takin holt around here about 15 yrs. ago me and my dad  made up about a third of the hunters in are county, Of course not knowin eny thang about um (turkey) we feel into the same old trap "you gotta have a 3" or 3 1/2" 12 gauge to kill um!" after a few years i whent back to my roots i hunt with a 1936 western arms (made by Ethica) 28" sxs and my paw hunts with a 1930's Begum  made 12 30" hammer gun. I kill most of my birds inside 30 yards but on a fall hunt a few years back i killed a jenny at 60 stepped off yards. the longest shot on a spring tom has been 40 ant had no problems. Daddy also hunts with a 1960s Stevens 16 gauge with 28" in the barrel. Ill post some pics later thanks for startin this thread i love double guns.

Kentucky River Wingbones
wwtaxidermy.weebly.com
Blackfalcon
Boss Tom

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 09:15:56 PM »

You know I'm a fan of the doubles Denny..I'll have to see what I have for pictures.  Cool

Blackfalcon
Boss Tom

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2016, 12:09:58 AM »

My double barrel 1923 LeFever 28" barrels..traded a turkey call for it..likes high brass Remington fives or sixes and has accompanied me on many hunts in Maine,Vermont and New York..here are a few of her successes. First picture is my WW Greener, she was made in 1863, 14 bore and a delight to shoot..32"barrels

Maine spring muzzle loader

Maine spring

Maine spring

Vermont fall

Maine Spring

Vermont fall

Vermont spring

New York spring

hawglips
Jenny

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2016, 09:19:19 PM »

My favorite turkey gun is a 28 ga CZ O/U.

hawglips
Jenny

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2016, 09:22:02 PM »

Love my .410 Yildiz O/U also:

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: