Author Topic: More questions from a new call builder  (Read 829 times)

Offline Mike Sawdust

• Poult
More questions from a new call builder
« on: August 15, 2016, 05:00:13 PM »
If you use copper or glass as a scratch plate on a pot call does the builder rough up/condition the scratch surface or is that left up to user to do?

Next question is, if the builder is supposed to rough up/condition the surface how is that done?

How finely sanded are the tips of strikers?  What grit do you sand the tips with?  Is it supposed to be finely sanded?

I have made a few pots now and I have left a space ranging from .140 to .200 between the bottom of the scratch plate to the top of the sound board.  Does that sound about right?

Offline doublespurs21

• Boss Tom
Re: More questions from a new call builder
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 05:59:45 PM »
 *welcome*,,,, mike, most of the time, i'll scratch the glass, a little a bit, to see if it sounds right. than the buyer can do whatever he/she likes. glass is very hard , you need some 60/80 grit sanding paper, to scratch the playing surface, scratch it left to right , than run striker the other way of the scratch marks.

the gap should be somewhere around .125,  (1/8 inch), you have to play around with this measurement. also, keep track of all your calls that you make, write them down, and see what works for you.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 06:05:58 PM by doublespurs21 »

Offline doublespurs21

• Boss Tom
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 06:08:04 PM »
  forgot,, look up THO game calls, web site.. a lot of turkey calls on there,,,  have fun ,,,,,,,,,, *gobble*

Offline Mike Sawdust

• Poult
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2016, 12:33:03 PM »
I misspoke when I said I left a gap of .140 to .200.  The actual gaps are .104 to .120.

Is that closer to the what most builder use?

Thanks for the answers on preparing the scratch surfaces.

Offline B-Ready

• Boss Tom
  • BeReady Custom Calls
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2016, 03:36:41 PM »
Mike that's a question most Callmaker s won't share.... It's like telling a family recipes. That's where you will need to do your own R&D to find the sound you like in a call. That's what every Callmaker strives to achieve. To be different... It's there  signature sound. If all call makers used the same  dimensions then there would only be one sounding call. Please don't take this response wrong .... We're here to help, but R&D is a must for all call makers. Some call makers have spent years on R&D not to mention wasting enough to wood to heat a shop for a whole winter.... So keep at it... We're cheering for you to find the sound that's your own. Best of luck and don't forget to post those beauties....