April 27, 2018, 02:58:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A turkey hunt that started in November 2015  (Read 443 times)
bowmike
Jenny

« on: May 02, 2016, 06:50:32 PM »

IF you guys read my post about how this year will be different you knew that I was dedicating my season to getting my buddy his triple trophy.
Well guys. My season has just been amazing so far and this is just day 2 technically. This hunt almost never happened. Weather forecast called for thunder storms and such. My buddy and I were not even going to go today, but I looked at. The hourly and saw some breaks. I shot him a message and we decided to give her heck.

I had a few areas I wanted to try and off the roost we had a good group going above us, and a hammer below. Some mania. In a hoot owl call just kept hammering even though it was light. Drive me nuts.

Just at fly down the rain and wind moved in and that was all she wrote. I figure with the rain hey would want to go towards fields and their shock gobbles confirmed it.

We moved out along a creek bottom and I told Jessie that there is a spot they like to cross to the field. We sat down and Jessie just zipped up from taking a pee. Two seconds late I look up and there is a Jake looking At him. He had us pegged.

Decided to abandon ship and hit up another area. Hopped in the jeep and we were off.

Parked the jeep and spot checked with an excited yelping and cutting sequence. NOTHING!

I turned to go back to the jeep and said. I better try one more time. Did it again and got an answer. I told Jessie we could work this bird. So we made our way and set up about 150. Bird would answer us but was just flat out hung up. I told him how nasty the bottom but told him we have too many obstacles.

We made our way down to the bamboo thicket and Jessie asks," how the heck can we get through the this?"

I told him to follow the deer trail to our left. Well we did but the deer trail evaporated. I told him man this is going to be like a mind field. The bird was less than 200 yards away.

We got across the mine field and up a cliff face and set up.

I could tell if the bird was going to come down the ridge he would commit. I could tell he was getting closer and when he got in that up yard mark I could see Jessie's breathing increase.

I slow and quiet talked this bird through all the junk and caught a glimpse of him. What an awesome sight to be behind your buddy and get to see this show. Hearing the spitting and drumming, hearing the bird plow through a brush pile had me about ready to gobble.

I could see a little opening and knew Jessie would have a shot in a matter of seconds. I waited for the bird to clear a stump the gave him to sharp clucks.

"CLUCK!! CLUCK, BOOM!"

I see floppage and jump up!

"Freaking right baby!"

I jumped up and took off.

We both yelled. I lifted Jessie off the ground. I've been waiting, hoping, and dreaming of this moment since he shot his bear.

I dedicated my season to getting my nephews first bird and Jessie his triple trophy! I did both of that by day two.

I could care less if I get a bird now.

9.5" beard, 3/4" Spurs, 30" diameter tail fan.

MAC POT CALL and Tipton Creek Mouth call.

GLORY BE TO GOD!

Now for the pics

The only cover we had.

Loved this shot

Had to climb the mountain to get back out.

Just a big old body on this bird.

Spurs weren't all that great for the body size of the bird.

We swung by his moms place to get a pic of us together. I jetted back to the house to get a quick shower, dropped him off at his house and was only 1 minute late for work.

Tomorrow it is my turn to hunt. Unless of couse I can wrangle up someone else to try and call in a turkey for. To be honest taking the back seat and calling in a bird for someone else is just awesome!!

Novice hunter who became an adict in spring of 2013. Harvested my first bird and will never forget it. Glad I let the trout have a rest and stuck it out to get my bird.
Mmcdonald
Boss Tom

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 07:16:55 PM »

Great story! Great pics! Congrats!

fargobox
Boss Tom

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 10:58:01 PM »

Congratulations guys!!
AlabamaDave
Boss Tom

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 12:50:51 PM »

Congrats!
GR8CALLS
Boss Tom

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 04:45:30 PM »

Congratulations guys!!

X2

Bill

I'm not shy.......I'm just studying my prey!!!

The True Measure of A Man Will be Found in His Words and Deeds!

If The Enemy is in Range......So Are You!
fargobox
Boss Tom

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2016, 05:58:51 PM »

Hard to beat this hunt, congrats and thanks for sharing Thumbs Up
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: