Author Topic: Double barrels  (Read 9601 times)

Offline The Woodsman

• Boss Hen
Double barrels
« on: December 19, 2015, 07:22:17 AM »
This section needs a new thread.... my call buying has waned off and went a little different direction, I still snag a couple gems when the opportunity presents itself but no where near what it used to be.

Does anyone else use them for turkey hunting? I think they are one of the best guns for turkey, a close range barrel and one for longer shots. I bought a like new Browning Citori Satin Hunter a couple years ago that started me out on doubles and it piqued my interest enough to add a couple more in sub gauges. Reloading these make them legitimate turkey takers in all respects. I am also a fan of a good camo dip for turkey hunting.....

I have heard and read of POA/POI issues with doubles but have not experienced it yet.

Browning Citori

Stevens 555 in .410

Before the dip

After and some luck

My newest addition which I feel will be my favorite gun in the future, it has yet to have a round through it but have high hopes.

C/Z Sharptail SxS in 28 gauge

Before the dip

And after

Thanks for the look and if you got any pics of your double barrel, post up

Denny
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 07:52:39 AM by The Woodsman »

Offline Mmcdonald

• Boss Tom
Re: Double barrels
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2015, 07:33:40 PM »
Sweet looking guns!!

Offline Turkeybuster

• Boss Tom
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2015, 07:58:53 PM »
Denny I used my citori hard on geese , turkeys and the sporting clays course with good results.
A friend of mine swears by his 28 ga. OU beretta for pheasants. One good point is malfunctions are rare.

Jon

Offline Colt P

• Jake
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2015, 08:29:26 AM »
 I LOVE my double guns. Around here all the old people that i grew up around wanted a hard shootin double gun with 30" in the barrel. We didnt have turkeys thay hunted squirrel and quail and Rabbit Beagle dogs and squirrel huntin was big when i was a kid and i still love to hunt um(and eat um). When turkey huntin started takin holt around here about 15 yrs. ago me and my dad  made up about a third of the hunters in are county, Of course not knowin eny thang about um (turkey) we feel into the same old trap "you gotta have a 3" or 3 1/2" 12 gauge to kill um!" after a few years i whent back to my roots i hunt with a 1936 western arms (made by Ethica) 28" sxs and my paw hunts with a 1930's Begum  made 12 30" hammer gun. I kill most of my birds inside 30 yards but on a fall hunt a few years back i killed a jenny at 60 stepped off yards. the longest shot on a spring tom has been 40 ant had no problems. Daddy also hunts with a 1960s Stevens 16 gauge with 28" in the barrel. Ill post some pics later thanks for startin this thread i love double guns.
Kentucky River Wingbones
wwtaxidermy.weebly.com

Offline Blackfalcon

• Boss Tom
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 08:15:56 PM »
You know I'm a fan of the doubles Denny..I'll have to see what I have for pictures.  *cool*

Offline Blackfalcon

• Boss Tom
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2016, 11:09:58 PM »
My double barrel 1923 LeFever 28" barrels..traded a turkey call for it..likes high brass Remington fives or sixes and has accompanied me on many hunts in Maine,Vermont and New York..here are a few of her successes. First picture is my WW Greener, she was made in 1863, 14 bore and a delight to shoot..32"barrels

Maine spring muzzle loader

Maine spring

Maine spring

Vermont fall

Maine Spring

Vermont fall

Vermont spring

New York spring

Offline hawglips

• Jenny
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2016, 08:19:19 PM »
My favorite turkey gun is a 28 ga CZ O/U.

Offline hawglips

• Jenny
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2016, 08:22:02 PM »
Love my .410 Yildiz O/U also:

Offline West Augusta

• Boss Tom
  • West By God Virginia.
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2020, 12:58:30 PM »

My first West Virginia gobbler of the year taken with my Grandfathers 1875 Remington and Son's Lifter 10 gauge double barrel.
I'm the third generation to hunt with this shotgun.
Twitter @WestAugusta        @UnicoiCallShow

Parler  @WestAugusta

Offline firedup

• Boss Tom
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2020, 06:37:24 PM »
I like the idea of an extra shot handy. Or distance and close range. I have an old Fulton SXS that’s taken a few turkeys and a lot of squirrels. An old Hardware store 1890’s BP cartridge gun that is fun to shoot and shot a couple birds it. Need to Get serious about load development tho on that one. New project is a 20ga Tristar Hunter O/U. Haven’t shot it much but high hopes with some TSS it will be a killer. Just to dang hot out to shoot much lately. Time will tell if it’s worth a camo dip!

Offline Porter

• Osage Polish Mike
  • Administrator
  • Boss Tom
  • Osage Polish Mike
    • Osage Roost
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2020, 10:27:05 PM »
Always wanted to buy a darn double barrel for fall hunting.. never have, but one day.. I did end up with a model 12 that has been restored by Simmons, just too darn pretty to take in the fall... been looking for another good used one to hunt with!