Author Topic: High Noon Kentucky Gobbler  (Read 2099 times)

Offline Shadetree Callers

• Boss Tom
  • Bagging Big Buckeye Birds and Bucks
    • SHADETREE CALLERS
High Noon Kentucky Gobbler
« on: August 03, 2014, 01:59:13 PM »
 I know its a bit late but here is my first bird in Kentucky this spring . Brent Stoner came down to the farm I hunt in Casey county to give the gobblers a try . The evening before our hunt we roosted 3 gobblers along a ridgetop above a pasture. Before first light we got Brent set up on one of those gobblers and I set off for a distant woods in hopes that Brent would roll one early . He had the old boy coming in on a string when all of a sudden the bird took flight to another ridge probably spooked by a coyote which we have lots of . Later we topped a high ridge and made a long walk back to a hayfield bordered by a logging road . as we walked I was fishing along with my Clint Corder osage pot when finally a gobbler fired off as we had only 300 more yds til we hit the hard road. We eased up a little and Brent yelped on a boxcall of his own making and the gobbler responded again . Very soon we spot him as he comes out of the woods and into the hayfield . We crouched down behind a small embankment and I pulled out the osage glass again and got the Tom fired up good as he strutted the distance to us and came to about 40 yds . It seemed as if he were getting geechy and nervous so I told Brent "hold on" . Then I sent a swarm of Winchester Longbeard 6's at him and gave him the ol Remington backflip . The bird topped out at 24.5 lbs with 1 3/8" spurs and a 10.5" beard . What a great way to start the season of with a great friend.
Bob

« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 02:10:51 PM by Shadetree Callers »
SHADETREE CALLERS...
    Treat people the same way you want them to treat you

Offline B-Ready

• Boss Tom
  • BeReady Custom Calls
Re: High Noon Kentucky Gobbler
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 04:18:20 PM »
I really enjoyed the time in the wood with ya' Bob!! Other than climbing that ridge.. :P.. It was a awesome hunt. Super nice Bluegrass Bird... Congrats!! Thanks for letting me tag along my friend!!  *cheers*

Offline Turkeybuster

• Boss Tom
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 04:52:39 PM »
Good looking bird Congrats. to y'all.

Jon

Offline AlabamaDave

• Boss Tom
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 05:40:09 PM »
Congrats Bob!...That's A great gobbler!

Offline GR8CALLS

• Boss Tom
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 05:47:50 PM »
Not late, at all, Bob. Fall season is just around the corner. Gets the juices pumping, once again! Congrats!

Bill
I'm not shy.......I'm just studying my prey!!!

The True Measure of A Man Will be Found in His Words and Deeds!

If The Enemy is in Range......So Are You!

Offline Silverspur

• Boss Tom
  • I like Longbeards / Sharp Spurs
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 01:57:23 AM »
 *up*

Offline Mmcdonald

• Boss Tom
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 05:18:08 PM »
Just came across this, even though it's late congrats Bob!!

Offline ncturkey

• Boss Tom
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2015, 12:02:07 PM »
Congrats
Mike   ] "It doesn't take a majority to win, just a tireless minority that will keep starting brush fires in the mind and hearts of their fellow men."

Samuel Adams