Author Topic: The last  (Read 1782 times)

Dcoleinpa

The last
« on: May 19, 2014, 05:29:20 PM »
Last Friday May 16th I was fortunate to tag out. It was a rainy day so I was going to hunt near some fields. When I hit a two track that leads to where I wanted to sit I heard one gobble on the other side of the field. I was pretty surprised because he was going nuts and another one farther down was too. It was close to fly down time so I cut the distance by pretty much running down a hedge row. When I got close I slowed down and found a decent tree in the row and sat. I only brought shells,tag,gun,mouth call and a seat pad from my vest.

I waited about five minues and heard nothing. I figured he may have seen me but I did a fly down cackle and he gobbled hard 60 yards away down over a knoll. I thought I could see a head but kept scanning around just in case. I remained silent and he let me know whre he was by gobbling hard a few times.That last gobble I could see his head moving good so he was getting closer. To my left I see a hen about 25 yards.  I kept my mouth shut still and he kept getting closer.

He peaked over and I could see from his chest to his head. A couple soft yelps was the last thing he heard. I just took a quick picture due to the rain. My earliest bird ever dead at 6:03. 10 inch beard, inch spurs give or take. I don't hunt field birds very often but the no decoy and shy hen talk over a knoll did the trick! I had a great season that I am very thankful for.

I  started showing up to work on time today  ;D

Offline The Woodsman

• Boss Hen
Re: The last
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 05:50:11 PM »
Nice job!

Denny

Offline jmck

• Boss Tom
  • Twisting Creek Calls
    • Twisting Creek Calls
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 06:40:57 PM »
Congrats on the fine bird
Now get used to work again like I'm trying to - haha

Offline Turkeybuster

• Boss Tom
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 07:45:23 PM »
Congrats. Dylan good season.

Jon

Offline Zumer

• Boss Tom
  • The Mod that banned Porter
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 08:56:37 AM »
Congrats, Dylan...
  Prostaff member of the Wife's Honey-Do list...

Offline AlabamaDave

• Boss Tom
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 10:34:15 AM »
Congrats!

Offline Silverspur

• Boss Tom
  • I like Longbeards / Sharp Spurs
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 01:14:51 AM »
Congrats Dylan, all the Longbeards must be up your end of the county. Tons of Jakes down at my end. Great job on tagging out! *up*

Offline VGJ5

• Boss Hen
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, 02:31:29 PM »
Nice closer, Dylan.  Congrats!

"Turkey hunting is a series of instant tactical decisions that are invariably irreversible." - Tom Kelly

Offline Porter

• Osage Polish Mike
  • Administrator
  • Boss Tom
  • Osage Polish Mike
    • Osage Roost
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2014, 06:50:56 PM »
Buddy you were so pumped!!!  Great job and heck of a season!!!  Lot's of memories this season!

Offline KPcalls

• Boss Tom
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2014, 08:13:28 PM »
 Dylan my friend..you smashed some heads this year....congrats.  I enjoyed the stories.
If your going to play the game, play by the rules.....

Offline ncturkey

• Boss Tom
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2015, 12:07:55 PM »
Congrats on a fine longbeard.
Mike   ] "It doesn't take a majority to win, just a tireless minority that will keep starting brush fires in the mind and hearts of their fellow men."

Samuel Adams