Author Topic: My First Elk  (Read 2646 times)

Offline VGJ5

• Boss Hen
My First Elk
« on: May 05, 2014, 01:36:05 PM »
I thought I posted this back in the fall, but I guess not because I couldn't find it anywhere.  My buddy brought me to his place in Meeker, Colorado for a guided elk hunt (rifle), and I had the time of my life!  It certainly wasn't as big as the one my buddy got, or the one his brother got, but it was my first, and I couldn't be happier with it!  My buddy said I was an idiot for not coming back mid-day (probably true) because we were out there for about a week.  But, I had heard stories from him about passing up legal bulls early in the trip and then never getting another shot for the remainder of it.  I wasn't about to let this happen to me; especially after he and his brother both filled their tags on the first day!  Also, I passed up two similar ones before this one that we had "in the sticks."

I sat out there all day with a couple of the guides, watching the herd move up and down the hill.  We had this one group below us that we couldn't see, due to the angle.  I heard bugling and cow calls, and it was soooo frustrating that we couldn't move on them!  Near the end of the day, something spooked them and when they ran away we saw one legal bull go down into the draw way off.  So, we ran down and up the hill to where I could get a shot, and pulled it off right before dusk.  It was definitely one of those memories that I'll carry for the rest of my life.  I spent the rest of the trip on unsuccessful bear hunts, as my buddy's dad (AKA my boss) consistently asked me about the bear tag and his bearskin rug, while we were out there.  Hopefully, I get the chance to go again and upgrade my elk (and get the boss-man his rug)! 

Now, if I could just succeed in getting my buddy his first turkey!   

This is a picture of my buddy's first mule deer:

"Turkey hunting is a series of instant tactical decisions that are invariably irreversible." - Tom Kelly

Offline Rebel yelper

• Jenny
Re: My First Elk
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 08:34:57 PM »
Congrats on the elk, looking at going to Montana for a elk hunt soon.

Rebel Yelper

Offline AlabamaDave

• Boss Tom
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 10:22:22 AM »
Congrats on the elk man!...I bet i know what your having for dinner! LOL ...I would be having elk steaks!

Offline ncturkey

• Boss Tom
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 05:15:49 PM »
Nice
Mike   ] "It doesn't take a majority to win, just a tireless minority that will keep starting brush fires in the mind and hearts of their fellow men."

Samuel Adams