December 15, 2018, 07:07:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2 Down in AL - 3/23 & 4/6  (Read 320 times)
VGJ5
Boss Hen

« on: April 07, 2014, 12:12:19 PM »

I got this guy yesterday morning, after a grueling rain hunt.  It rained from daylight until 10:00, without a single break.  I called every once in a while, but cranked it up when the rain finally stopped with some walking yelps.  Sure enough, this guy blew up behind me and never quit.  There was a little bit of running water that he just didn't want to cross, at least at first.  I eventually talked him into coming over with one of the few dry calls left in my bag, and then I blew back into the water (as you'll see from the picture).  I used my new David Halloran ceramic pot call for most of the hunt.

- Gaines

*Apparently, I forgot to post the one I got on 3/23, so I'll add it to this thread on the next post
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 12:36:40 PM by VGJ5 » Logged

"Turkey hunting is a series of instant tactical decisions that are invariably irreversible." - Tom Kelly
Silverspur
The Peace Keeper
Boss Tom

I like Longbeards / Sharp Spurs

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 12:27:27 PM »

No pictures attached
jmck
Boss Tom

Twisting Creek Calls

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 12:30:15 PM »

congrats on the rainy day hunt

VGJ5
Boss Hen

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 12:37:30 PM »

No pictures attached

Thanks!  Apparently, I also forgot how to post pictures on here.   Roll Eyes

"Turkey hunting is a series of instant tactical decisions that are invariably irreversible." - Tom Kelly
VGJ5
Boss Hen

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 12:40:40 PM »

This is the one I got on 3/23.  He's an older boy, compared to the one I got yesterday.  He and his two buddies had silently thwarted me on a couple hunts.  This particular morning he decided to gobble early, which gave me the chance to crawl up close under his landing spot.  A couple soft yelps was all it took to let him know where I was, and he never said a word after that (as expected).  I heard him fly down and shortly thereafter he came in strutting.  Took him down early, from 80 steps  LOL,and when I was packing-up/taking pictures I heard his two buddies blow up to my left and right.  I'm going to go after them when the water goes back down (hopefully).

- Gaines

Silverspur
The Peace Keeper
Boss Tom

I like Longbeards / Sharp Spurs

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 02:41:39 PM »

Man those are some awesome hooks and congrats to you!! Thumbs Up
AlabamaDave
Boss Tom

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 09:26:01 AM »

Good job man!...Your ripping em this year!...Im sick of this rain!
VGJ5
Boss Hen

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 10:10:13 AM »

Good job man!...Your ripping em this year!...Im sick of this rain!

Man, I hear that, Dave.  It's been beautiful every darn week and then nasty every weekend.  I've found myself buying more and more waterproof items this season . . .

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: