November 17, 2018, 05:14:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Winchester's new turkey load ammo  (Read 1237 times)
Spring Dragon
Boss Tom

« on: January 06, 2014, 01:19:49 AM »

Any of you have info or insight into this new turkey load Winchester is claiming will extend ranges 15-25 yards?  I saw it on the Drury show the other day where they tested the proto-types and were getting very impressive patterns at 65 yards and I mean impressive!  I think the load is called "LONG BEARD XR".  It takes a lot to impress me with ammo and this stuff as I saw and read might be the best turkey load yet.  What are your thoughts.---Jason

Link: http://winchesterproductdemos.winchester.com/LongbeardXR.html#/Home
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 01:35:00 AM by Spring Dragon » Logged
Spring Dragon
Boss Tom

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 01:49:41 AM »

I have shot nitro's as well but am anxious to see what this ammo does in comparison.  Keep us posted and thanks for the info on the thread, I was unaware.---jason
merocustomcalls
Boss Tom

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 02:14:46 AM »

I currently shoot Winchester Extended Range and will be trying this new Long Beard also.  In my gun the Extended Range patterns better than anything else so I'm willing to try this for sure.

M Sharpe
Boss Tom

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 12:56:34 PM »

Any of you have info or insight into this new turkey load Winchester is claiming will extend ranges 15-25 yards?  I saw it on the Drury show the other day where they tested the proto-types and were getting very impressive patterns at 65 yards and I mean impressive!  I think the load is called "LONG BEARD XR".  It takes a lot to impress me with ammo and this stuff as I saw and read might be the best turkey load yet.  What are your thoughts.---Jason

As someone else said, this is coming from a bunch that also marketed the silent dog whistle as a locator too...... LOL
Silverspur
The Peace Keeper
Boss Tom

I like Longbeards / Sharp Spurs

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 01:34:44 PM »

What ever happen to calling turkeys close and enjoying the experience.  At 65 yards might as well use a rifle with a scope on it.  I am sure those are great shells from what I have heard and read but, i like to work em close but that is my choice.
drenalinld
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 03:13:52 PM »

As someone else said, this is coming from a bunch that also marketed the silent dog whistle as a locator too...... LOL

Hey, still a vital part of my arsenal!!!

Corn Doc
Jake

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 12:50:57 AM »

...After all, the shot is lead. I am not sure their lead #6 loads have enough kinetic energy to break a turkey's neck much past 40 yards. The velocity in these loads is not extremely high and the density in the shot is what it is. Nothing magic about the energy formula.... 

I agree with this.

I hate to see Winchester (and Remington) getting out of the heavier than lead business....

I am glad I got a fair amount of Extended Range XR's left.  Thumbs Up

Turkeybuster
The Peace Keeper
Boss Tom

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 02:33:19 AM »

I'am not sure what winchester is doing they relisted the Extended Range XR shells on their website again they were off for a year. Hopefully they are going to sell them again. I also was fortunate enough to stock pile some before they were gone.

Jon
mikey715
Judges
Boss Tom

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2014, 06:27:36 AM »

Got 3 boxes of it today, going to try it in my new gun when it comes in.........
Spring Dragon
Boss Tom

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2014, 10:57:26 PM »

this shot is copper plated correct?
mikey715
Judges
Boss Tom

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2014, 11:37:58 AM »

this shot is copper plated correct?
Yes,check this out......

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/11/daniel-zimmerman/ammo-review-winchester-long-beard-xr-turkey-loads/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: