Author Topic: Mossberg 500 Owners - Need help  (Read 2629 times)

Offline lifeandlongbows

• Poult
    • Life and Longbows
Mossberg 500 Owners - Need help
« on: November 24, 2013, 08:52:51 AM »
I've got a brand new 20 gauge Mossberg 500. I actually only bought it for self defense but I've decided to put the bow down a bit in 2014 and use it in the turkey woods some. I recently got a Hunter Specialties Strutter choke and am wondering what kind of shot I should try to start patterning the gun.

So my question is for you Mossberg owners...what shell shoots well for you?

I'm new to the gun world. I've only ever hunted with a longbow.

Offline West Augusta

• Boss Tom
  • West By God Virginia.
Re: Mossberg 500 Owners - Need help
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 09:04:46 AM »
Nick,  Mossberg owners can get you in the ballpark but not two guns shoot exactly the same.  You may need to try several choke tubes and factory loads to see what patterns best in your gun.  

You got it bad buddy.  Welcome to the addiction of the 10th Legion.   *lol* *lol* *lol*

A red dot or shotgun scope doesn't hurt either.  You will be amazed at how easy it is to MISS a turkey at close range even with a shotgun.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 09:06:40 AM by West Augusta »
Twitter @WestAugusta        @UnicoiCallShow

Parler  @WestAugusta

Offline davisd9

• Poult
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 12:39:10 PM »
Hevi 3" 7s or federal hw 3" 6s or 7s.  I would look at a jellyhead, pure gold, Indian creek, or SumToy (he will match the choke to the load you want to use.) Good luck!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 12:39:57 PM by davisd9 »

Offline PA Boxcall

• Boss Tom
  • That's this about that.
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 03:01:31 PM »
Hevi 3" 7s or federal hw 3" 6s or 7s.  I would look at a jellyhead, pure gold, Indian creek, or SumToy (he will match the choke to the load you want to use.) Good luck!

Agree, good advice right there.
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat."  Jim Spencer

Offline lifeandlongbows

• Poult
    • Life and Longbows
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 03:43:22 PM »
Well I'm sticking with the choke I've got for now. Limited on funds and I need to get shooting come deer season's end.

Yep...I'm pretty hopeless Steve.  *aah*

Offline West Augusta

• Boss Tom
  • West By God Virginia.
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2013, 05:25:29 PM »
Borrow 3" shells from everybody you can so you don't have to buy them.  I would try the Hevi 13's.  They are very expensive but well worth it.  They are heavier than lead and carry more energy down range.  They usually pattern well also.  You got the gun this year.  Pattern it next year.  Maybe the year after a choke  or scope. You don't have to get it all at once.  It's a journey.  Enjoy the trip.  *lol*
Twitter @WestAugusta        @UnicoiCallShow

Parler  @WestAugusta

Offline lifeandlongbows

• Poult
    • Life and Longbows
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2013, 06:10:57 PM »
Well I actually got the gun 2 years ago. It's been collecting dust in the case since. I've got $25 invested in it this year so I think I'm doing okay. I wasn't clear on that point.

So I guess it has been a journey somewhat...and I'm not giving up on the bow either. Far from it. Fall will be bow exclusive as I'll be deer hunting as well. Unless Buchin and I get the bug to go bird hunting instead.  *wha*

Offline Addicted2Gobblin

• Jake
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2013, 10:00:52 AM »
If you come into some money, pure good makes an awesome choke for the mossberg 500. My boys both have 20 ga. Mossbergs with their choke and shoot 2 3/4 federal flight control turkey loads that are deadly out to 45 yards. With this being said, every gun is different but this will help you get started spending money.  *lol*
Chad

Offline icdedturkes

• Jake
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2014, 03:15:33 PM »
Spend your money on ammo.. In my 870 I shot that choke with both Fed HW 7s and Hevi 7s and both produced 120 ish type patterns at 40.. If you want a 40 yard 20gauge you need to shoot HTL, lead falls off at 35..

Offline firedup

• Boss Tom
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2014, 06:26:03 PM »
Not adding much here but just throwing in.  You can go to hevi shot 3" #7 or Federal HW #7 and just about any full / extra full choke and have a smoking little gun.  The shells will make a huge difference.  And believe me, those HTL in #7 will do the job.   ;)  If you decide on a choke, Pure Gold, Indian Creek or Sumtoy are all very, very good.  I mite suggest something in .570 instead of .555 range.  It will open up a bit at and make it a little forgiving. A surprise low cost choke that shot very good in my tests was the HS Strut extra full Turkey choke.  I got it on sale for $12!  It wasn't quite as good as the ones I listed earlier but still at 40 yds it was throwing 120's in 9" circle at 40 yds with a good spread. Very dead turkeys either way.  :D

I set up a Mossburg Bantam 20 with a Pure Gold .570 and shoot the Fed's #7 for my Dad and it is a solid little gun. In my little H&R with the Pure gold it likes the hevi 13's better.