Author Topic: Modifying my 835 into The Perfect Turkey Gun for me  (Read 2170 times)

Offline davisd9

• Poult
Modifying my 835 into The Perfect Turkey Gun for me
« on: October 08, 2013, 08:40:16 AM »
I am the type of person that tries to only make changes to my turkey gun if I can see a functional reason for it.  I try not to do it just because I like it because many times that adds things we do not need and they get in the way of our hunting.  I am not a good enough hunter to take those types of chances.  My 835 started off as your standard camo 835.  I bought it from walmart in the summer of 2011 and its pattern was MO break up w/ a 24" barrel.  It came with the standard UltiMag X-Full choke.

First things I did to the gun was add a Star Dot Choke to shoot the Hevi 3.5" 6s from and added a Simmons Pro-Diamond 4 x 32 mm scope using a DNZ scope mounting unit..  I added the scope because I have a terrible habit of getting excited and lifting my head up off the stock when I shoot.  The scope forces me to keep my head down and I have become much more successful (the two years I have used this gun I have harvested 7 longbeards).

\
I decided to add a limbsaver to the gun and to camo the scope.  I used the MO graphics to put the camo on the scope.   I added the camo to the scope so it could blend in better, I know black is fine but I have to give myself every advantage possible, and the limbsaver to make her a bit smoother to pattern.

My next modification was after I hunted with the gun in 2012.  With the scope on the gun I had a bit of trouble putting the safety back on.  I did not feel comfortable with this so I researched an after market safety and decided upon a tactical safety.  I have to say putting the gun on safety and taking it back off safety is much easier.  This would be the best modification overall in my opinion.

I thought I was done and there was nothing else I could add to the gun for functionality.  Well midway through the 2013 season I was working a strutting bird in a field and he was about to walk down my gun barrel, 3 steps from down it at 40 yards or so.  At this point the bird stops and goes into the standing alert position.  I sit there holding the gun for 5 minutes and when he decides to take those 3 -4 steps and stop I pull the trigger and clean miss, knew it as soon as the gun fired I missed.  I had recently added a pistol grip to my dad's 11-87 so that he could grip it better with his arthritis.  I played with his and decided that I wanted to add one to my gun so that I could hold it up for a longer period of time without starting to wobble.

As with the scope, I need all the advantage I can get so I decided to dip the butt stock to match the gun.  It is a little brighter but I am very happy with it and now I think my 835 is complete to make My Perfect Turkey Gun!

Offline B-Ready

• Boss Tom
  • BeReady Custom Calls
Re: Modifying my 835 into The Perfect Turkey Gun for me
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 08:44:58 AM »
Good looking Rig.... Good luck with her!!

Offline ncturkey

• Boss Tom
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 02:12:21 PM »
Nice looking rig. What kind of pattern are you getting form that star dot choke?
Mike   ] "It doesn't take a majority to win, just a tireless minority that will keep starting brush fires in the mind and hearts of their fellow men."

Samuel Adams

Offline davisd9

• Poult
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 07:15:01 AM »
Hevi 3.5" 2.25 oz #6, 200 at 40 yards on average.

Offline SCGobbler

• Jenny
  • Ya can't fix stupid!
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 11:27:30 AM »
That is a sharp looking rig. *up*

What brand of after market stock did you go with?

Offline davisd9

• Poult
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2013, 03:40:06 PM »
That is a sharp looking rig. *up*

What brand of after market stock did you go with?

ATI