Author Topic: The orchard  (Read 1993 times)

Offline Blackfalcon

• Boss Tom
The orchard
« on: August 10, 2013, 01:01:42 PM »
I helped my father plant an apple orchard when I was a boy....almost 50 years ago now. In those days there were no wild turkeys, and I never dreamed of seeing a sight like this, two hens and their poults going into the orchard. My thoughts were more of applesauce and apple pies my mother would make..or maybe a deer feeding on the crispy falls.
Of course, it would be a buck..enormous... ;D
We have done a lot of habitat improvement over the years, and during the summer there have been does..fawns..and even a nice buck..checking out the gardens and feeding on clover in the orchard..it seems..maybe a boys dreams do eventually bear fruit.

Offline Silverspur

• Boss Tom
  • I like Longbeards / Sharp Spurs
Re: The orchard
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 02:52:06 PM »
 *up*

Offline barry

• Jake
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 03:10:39 PM »
My family ran a commercial orchard years back.
I remember one fall the turkeys were pecking holes in every golden delicious apple they could reach from the ground.
Only saw that happen that one year.

Offline B-Ready

• Boss Tom
  • BeReady Custom Calls
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 06:04:07 AM »
 *cool* nice pic Dave!!

Offline fargobox

• Boss Tom
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 07:06:49 PM »
Dave, like your camera you have an easy way with words and with conjuring up the lost, but not forgotten memories of our childhood pasts.  While the images have changed from pies and deer to turkeys, you have lost a stride in what is important and meaningful.  Glad to hear about the habitat work...quite likely one of the big reasons you now see turkey!

Thanks for sharing.

Offline Castor River Calls

• Jenny
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 08:01:56 PM »
That is just a neat memory all around. Makes me smile.  :)