November 20, 2018, 08:20:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DIY Shotgun paint job  (Read 959 times)
870BkWht
Poult

« on: July 07, 2012, 01:12:17 PM »

I know this might have been covered before but I cant seem to find where I had seen it.  Ive got an old Remington 870 Magnum with wooden stocks that have already been crudely painted once before, and I want to give this gun a fresh look, but not really interested in having it dipped.  I feel more than confident that I can paint it to my liking, but before I did, I had a few questions.

How should I prepare the surfaces so the paint will bond to the metal and wood?  Sandpaper, scotchbrite pad and alcohol?

Is rustoleum or kryloc spraypaint acceptable and for detail work with a brush, what kind of paint should I get?  exterior enamel ?

And after the paint job is complete what should I use if anything to seal or clear coat the gun with? 

If any of you guys have done a DIY paint job on one of your shotguns, would you mind sharing with me some of your tips, pointers, and things I should know before I get started. 

Thanks
Ben
Turkeybuster
The Peace Keeper
Boss Tom

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 12:54:07 AM »

Go over the painted areas with Scotchbrite make sure all of the grease ,oil and dust is off the gun.
H.S. Strut makes a gun and bow paint pick out the colors you want and you are set to go.
Give the gun a solid base coat of one color then add the leaves etc. in different colors. This paint is removeable also. Good luck it isn,t hard to do just take your time.

Jon
mikey715
Judges
Boss Tom

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 12:36:16 AM »

check out utube,lots of info there
                                                  Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: