September 23, 2014, 04:20:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who makes Turpin calls?  (Read 15129 times)
Strut-N
Boss Tom

« Reply #60 on: May 27, 2010, 09:15:10 PM »

Billy Buice

Beech on Elm

Scotty Maddux

Jake St. John
Boss Tom

« Reply #61 on: June 18, 2010, 10:52:59 PM »

Thought that I would post one of the Turpins that I made for my Nephew in 1997.  But first I will post a couple of pictures of a Turpin that caused me to start making a few of these.  -  I am new to this board and I usually tell stories about the history of my calls etc. when I make a post.  I think it adds to the post.  

This Turpin shown above was obtained by the man that taught me how to turkey hunt.  He obtained it in 1952, wrote the date on the inside of the call and started turkey hunting up and down the Ms. River from here in Greenville.  Back then there were only a few turkeys in the Pascagoula River bottoms and the Ms. River bottoms near Tunica, Ms.   It took the turkeys a while to migrate down the river from Tunica to Greenville and Mr. Jack hunted them for 7 years before he killed his first turkey on Merigold Hunting Club which is a high land river club North of Lake Whittington and Scott, Ms.  He joined a club called Ashbrook Island as an original member about this same time.   I would like to know how many the turkeys that he killed with this call.  When he had a stroke in about 1985, he let me use the call.  Two of the turkey chapters in East of the Slash, Turkey's on the Tip, and He had a field day were killed with that turpin box.  I killed my share before I gave the call to his grandson as he wished.

This is the Turpin that I made and use from time to time, and gave to my Nephew. It is a walnut box with a Persimmon lid.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 10:56:32 PM by Jake St. John » Logged

Ben Lee on Turkey Hunting ---   "Your going to do it till you die."
ncturkey
Boss Tom

« Reply #62 on: August 29, 2010, 09:19:07 PM »

Does anyone any a video or audio of how to run a Turpin style box?

Mike"It doesn't take a majority to win, just a tireless minority that will keep starting brush fires in the mind and hearts of their fellow men."

Samuel Adams
yankee gobbler
Boss Hen

« Reply #63 on: September 29, 2010, 06:29:04 PM »

ya, I gotta locate it. Pennswoods put one out way back when.  Hug

GR8CALLS
Boss Tom

« Reply #64 on: September 29, 2010, 06:34:19 PM »

The Turpin call is played a bit differnet.....the lid needs to be tilted down into the call more than w/ a Cost style call.

Bill

I'm not shy.......I'm just studying my prey!!!

The True Measure of A Man Will be Found in His Words and Deeds!

If The Enemy is in Range......So Are You!
missouri turkey
Boss Hen

« Reply #65 on: December 29, 2010, 03:02:43 AM »

That is some collection of calls!!        Thumbs Up         Thumbs Up         Thumbs Up         Flag

mike conaway
S.C.C
Jenny

« Reply #66 on: February 05, 2011, 12:17:59 PM »

1of1 2007 collector Turpin Style Hen Box from S.C.C
Dcoleinpa
« Reply #67 on: February 05, 2011, 12:46:58 PM »

Dang buddy never saw that one before.
ol bumpy
In Memory of
Poult

« Reply #68 on: May 28, 2011, 07:03:46 PM »

My good friend Doug Morgan builds them....If I remember correctly, this is the second one he ever built. Teak with a Lati lid.

It spelled doom for this old guy....He covered about 300 yards of woods coming to my pot, then hung up about 70 yards out. I waited about 45 minutes, and gave him 3 soft yelps with the box. He strutted in to 20 yards, gobbling the whole way.

gobbleback
Poult

« Reply #69 on: June 15, 2011, 01:01:57 PM »

Billy Buice makes both boxes and trumpets in the Turpin style . If you want a box to kill turkeys with , you won't go wrong with his box of black poplar and a lid of yellow locust. Pat down my sack and you will find an old Billy box of elm cut in the 50's with a red beech lid. Most folks today wouldn't know of Dwain Bland of Oklahoma .  He loved Billy's box in striped maple with a walnut lid. I have it just like he had it in his sack after he died. I won't run it but every now and then to check the tone he used.  Larry Proffitt 
Dcoleinpa
« Reply #70 on: June 26, 2011, 07:28:59 PM »

I enjoy reading Dwain Bland's stuff when I can find it.
GR8CALLS
Boss Tom

« Reply #71 on: September 30, 2011, 12:00:30 AM »

Welcome to the forum Larry! I have a few of Dwain's trumpet calls.

Bill
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 12:02:38 AM by GR8CALLS » Logged

I'm not shy.......I'm just studying my prey!!!

The True Measure of A Man Will be Found in His Words and Deeds!

If The Enemy is in Range......So Are You!
Dcoleinpa
« Reply #72 on: September 30, 2011, 12:06:40 AM »

Thanks for posting those Bill.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: