Author Topic: Yet another lathe question.  (Read 464 times)

Offline Arrowhead

• Jenny
Yet another lathe question.
« on: March 09, 2012, 10:26:57 AM »
I am playing with the idea of getting a lathe for some at home projects. Then the thought came about possibly making some strikers.
(I am not quitting my day job).....

Anyway. I saw a used one on craigslist. Comes from Harbour Freight. Price seems right but wanted to get some expert opinions.

Any experience with this one? Any things it should have that it don't?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Link to the lathe in question.

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-inch-x-33-3-8-eighth-inch-wood-lathe-with-reversible-head-34706.html

Offline Shadetree Callers

• Boss Tom
  • Bagging Big Buckeye Birds and Bucks
    • SHADETREE CALLERS
Re: Yet another lathe question.
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 01:28:01 PM »
I would highly suggest spending just a few more dollars and get a mini lathe from Woodcraft . You can check them out online . Usually they have a very similiar looking model as what you are looking at , for a little over $300 and it is a much nicer machine.  The problem I forsee is in the low quality of the harbor freight lathe . I have bought equipment from there in the past and it is ok for some items . But everything is made in china and built very poorly , and doesn't last very long . Make sure to check on Craig's list for a newer lathe at a good price . But stay away from older equipment unless it is a known high quality manufacturer.
SHADETREE CALLERS...
    Treat people the same way you want them to treat you

Offline Arrowhead

• Jenny
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 04:35:35 PM »
Thanks. Just the insight I am looking for.

I am going to be in Jacksonville tomorrow and there is a woodcraft there. I'll stop in and check them out.

I appreciate the feedback.

Offline B-Ready

• Boss Tom
  • BeReady Custom Calls
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 04:47:57 PM »
I agree with Bob.... Harbor freight carry's some pretty cheap stuff.... Look for a Jet or Delta... The extra money you spend in the beginning will save you money in the long run plus give you a better result in your projects JMO You can also check out craigs list for an older american made lathe like West Augusta did..... There's some good deals out there, you should have no problem finding a good one on a budget.... Good Luck!!

Offline srtc

• Jake
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 04:12:55 AM »
the harbor freight and the mini jet are made buy the same company, all parts are interchangeable
STONE ROAD TURKEY CALLS
3rd place 2013 norseman pot call
6th place 2013 grand nationals pot call
3rd place 2014 midwest pot call

Offline woodwzrd

• Boss Hen
    • Final Strut Custom Game Calls
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 07:35:34 AM »
That is crazy because I have the very same lathe listed on craigslist here in WI. I recently bought a Rikon to save on some space in my tiny little shop and love it. The harbor freight lathe will serve you just fine if you are just doing the occational project. I bought mine used and have used it at least 3-4 days a week for the last year and a half. It isn't as tight as my rikon but has plenty of power and the variable speed is nice. Just my .02
Final Strut Custom Game Calls

Offline B-Ready

• Boss Tom
  • BeReady Custom Calls
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 07:55:21 AM »
Yes .... Most tools are made at the same factories overseas. The difference is in the quality control specs ..... Companies like Jet and Grizzly have higher standards for there machines, the ones that don't pass or don't buy.... There rebadged and sold to harbor freight. It's a crap shoot . Spending a little more now, will save you a lot later..... JMO

ghost5

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 08:06:56 PM »
I turn on a HF mini lathe almost daily. I have the 10x18 5 speed which is the only one I would buy from them. Is it a Jet? Nope. Have I had a second's problem? Nope. Have I turned hundreds and hundreds of things with it? Yep. I went to buy it for around $200, caught it on sale and had a 20% coupon so paid right at $100 tax and all. This little lathe has cranked out duck, goose, predator and deer calls, fishing lures, Christmas tree ornaments and on and on. One day I will buy a Jet or Rikon and whichever I get will be paid for by what I turned on my little HF mini.