Osage Roost

General Forum => General Discussion => Topic started by: creekrocket on January 31, 2011, 10:54:00 PM

Title: Snipe Hunting
Post by: creekrocket on January 31, 2011, 10:54:00 PM
Any of you guys Snipe hunt? Our season is in, and they are starting to move in the area pretty good. You are allowed 18 per person here in Georgia(which it'll take that many to make a meal anyway), and they are actually real good. I personally think they taste alot like a quail. Pretty good eating considering....They also keep you on your toes. They kinda give you a chance to redeem yourself from all the ducks you missed aerlier in the season  ::)
Title: Re: Snipe Hunting
Post by: rocfish13 on February 01, 2011, 05:22:05 AM
I think we have a few around here. Never been snipe hunting. Don't really know how to hunt them. Roc  *up* *up*
Title: Re: Snipe Hunting
Post by: Porter on February 01, 2011, 05:26:17 AM
We always grabbed them by hands :)  J/K.  I never knew Snipes were real until several years ago.  Around here, you always ask the newbie if he wants to go snipe hunting and dump them off in the middle of nowhere.  Give them a sack and tell them to call them in saying... here snipey snipe... here snipey snipe...

I'm not sure how many people have fell for that good ole trick  *lol*
Title: Re: Snipe Hunting
Post by: Ghost Maker Calls on February 01, 2011, 06:37:59 AM
I'm not sure how many people have fell for that good ole trick  *lol*

I'm sure you can count yourself as 1.  *wha*
Title: Re: Snipe Hunting
Post by: Morgan on February 01, 2011, 06:59:55 AM
 ROTFLMBO ROTFLMBO ROTFLMBO...Rumor is he did it more than once..... :-\
Title: Re: Snipe Hunting
Post by: augiedog55 on February 01, 2011, 07:02:59 AM
Used to have fun with the kids. Taking them on a nighttime snipe hunt was priceless..  Its a rite  of passage...Snipe snipe jump in the bag ROTFLMBO ROTFLMBO ROTFLMBO
Title: Re: Snipe Hunting
Post by: MKW on February 01, 2011, 09:29:20 AM
Snipe hunting is a BLAST!! Me, my son Andy, and 2 more guys went a few times earlier this year. We killed quite a few. Andy said he liked it better than any other kind of wingshooting. Little joker can hit them too!
FYI...I'm pretty sure that the limit is only 8 per day(not 18) in GA. Might want to check again.

Mike

(http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s82/TRKYKLR/DSCN0186Medium.jpg)
(http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s82/TRKYKLR/DSCN0183Medium.jpg)
Title: Re: Snipe Hunting
Post by: Bulldogmikey on February 01, 2011, 09:30:39 AM
We always grabbed them by hands :)  J/K.  I never knew Snipes were real until several years ago.  Around here, you always ask the newbie if he wants to go snipe hunting and dump them off in the middle of nowhere.  Give them a sack and tell them to call them in saying... here snipey snipe... here snipey snipe...

I'm not sure how many people have fell for that good ole trick  *lol*

Guilty....and victim! *cry*
Title: Re: Snipe Hunting
Post by: creekrocket on February 01, 2011, 10:43:04 AM
Snipe hunting is a BLAST!! Me, my son Andy, and 2 more guys went a few times earlier this year. We killed quite a few. Andy said he liked it better than any other kind of wingshooting. Little joker can hit them too!
FYI...I'm pretty sure that the limit is only 8 per day(not 18) in GA. Might want to check again.

Mike

(http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s82/TRKYKLR/DSCN0186Medium.jpg)
(http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s82/TRKYKLR/DSCN0183Medium.jpg)
Thanks for correcting me MKW. Its is 8, not 18 *wha*
Title: Re: Snipe Hunting
Post by: charlieparrish on February 01, 2011, 01:40:26 PM
MKW..Wow..that kid has a smile as wide as the Mississippi..what a way to spend the day. I love it.. I bet he remembers that hunt when he is 90.

Charlie
Title: Re: Snipe Hunting
Post by: Porter on February 01, 2011, 06:46:32 PM
I never fell for it, but I never did believe there really was a snipe bird either... 

I'm not sure I've ever seen a snipe around here!
Title: Re: Snipe Hunting
Post by: J.L. Erb on February 01, 2011, 07:44:28 PM
Nice Mike, looks like a great day of wingshooting, you hunting with Dogs?
Title: Re: Snipe Hunting
Post by: MKW on February 01, 2011, 08:03:30 PM
Thanks, guys. It was a great day, but I'm very lucky in that I've spent many great days with my boy(and my girl) in the woods chasing all types of critters.
Spur...we didn't have any dogs. We were just walking them up at a hatchery with 67 ponds and jump-shooting them. In the winter, most of the ponds are not being used and are left with low water. It makes for perfect snipe habitat.
We shoot ducks too!!

Mike

(http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s82/TRKYKLR/DSCN0241Medium.jpg)
Title: Re: Snipe Hunting
Post by: jmck on February 01, 2011, 08:05:04 PM
Porters in denial....a classic case here. We all know he has carried thar sack in the dead of night for years even though he never called one in.....surely he has a OSAGE  sinip call too   *lol* ROTFLMBO *lol* *lol* ROTFLMBO
Title: Re: Snipe Hunting
Post by: J.L. Erb on February 01, 2011, 09:54:09 PM
I find very few down here. Mostly, around small, Burnt, ponds in the thickets on the edges, or, in a fresh burn area. I have only seen maybe 100, in almost 30 yrs of hunting them here. I stopped hunting them about 10 yrs ago with the Quail. We just do not have good enough numbers to hunt them here anymore on the land I have access to hunt. Looks to have been a great time. Fast lil Buggers tain they.