Osage Roost

General Forum => General Discussion => Topic started by: ronmexico on January 31, 2010, 10:16:57 PM

Title: turkey vest
Post by: ronmexico on January 31, 2010, 10:16:57 PM
what vest will you be wearing most this spring?  i love my super elite III (i love the layout), but might be looking at a strap vest that is a bit cooler, maybe an ol' tom. 
Title: Re: turkey vest
Post by: letinmfly on January 31, 2010, 10:24:15 PM
I bought an Ol'Tom last year and I like it.  *up*
Title: Re: turkey vest
Post by: ronmexico on January 31, 2010, 10:24:48 PM
I bought an Ol'Tom last year and I like it.  *up*

which did you go with?
Title: Re: turkey vest
Post by: letinmfly on January 31, 2010, 10:30:50 PM
Went with this one... light weight and plenty of room for my calls and gear.

http://www.oltomgobbler.com/ot148.php
Title: Re: turkey vest
Post by: ronmexico on January 31, 2010, 10:33:22 PM
Went with this one... light weight and plenty of room for my calls and gear.

http://www.oltomgobbler.com/ot148.php

that's the one i'm thinking about too.  did you order it from them directly?  assuming that their website is up to date, they have had about everything on clearance, for the past 8 months or so.
Title: Re: turkey vest
Post by: Porter on January 31, 2010, 10:37:36 PM
I've tried several and finally settled on the Primos Vest.  I'm going to look into this more this Spring.  I'd like the Ol' Tom Vest one, but cannot find one locally :( 
Title: Re: turkey vest
Post by: letinmfly on January 31, 2010, 10:45:34 PM
Went with this one... light weight and plenty of room for my calls and gear.

http://www.oltomgobbler.com/ot148.php

that's the one i'm thinking about too.  did you order it from them directly?  assuming that their website is up to date, they have had about everything on clearance, for the past 8 months or so.

I purchased mine from a member on OG who was selling it. 
Title: Re: turkey vest
Post by: SS Custom Calls on February 01, 2010, 06:57:13 AM
I've used the Primos vest for the last 5 years or so. It does get a little warm at times but has certainly held up to some abuse and it's laid out pretty nice.

Al
Title: Re: turkey vest
Post by: TLSelf on February 01, 2010, 07:07:54 AM
I've got the Super Elite III and love it.  I can put a lot of calls in that thing.

Todd
Title: Re: turkey vest
Post by: Mzlhunter on February 01, 2010, 07:40:40 AM
I've tried several and finally settled on the Primos Vest.  I'm going to look into this more this Spring.  I'd like the Ol' Tom Vest one, but cannot find one locally :( 

Don't bend the truth Mike, you can't find one that's big enough to haul around all the calls you take with you :)
Title: Re: turkey vest
Post by: B-Ready on February 01, 2010, 07:45:39 AM
I think porter is looking for it in "Yellar" Camo.......   ;D
Title: Re: turkey vest
Post by: wiltznucs on February 01, 2010, 08:38:34 AM
what vest will you be wearing most this spring?  i love my super elite III (i love the layout), but might be looking at a strap vest that is a bit cooler, maybe an ol' tom. 

I've hunted an old Bucklick Creek vest for several years and decided to retire it as it was killing my rear.  So I just ordered a Cabelas Tactical Tater' II vest for the coming season.
Title: Re: turkey vest
Post by: Porter on February 01, 2010, 08:43:28 AM
what vest will you be wearing most this spring?  i love my super elite III (i love the layout), but might be looking at a strap vest that is a bit cooler, maybe an ol' tom. 

I've hunted an old Bucklick Creek vest for several years and decided to retire it as it was killing my rear.  So I just ordered a Cabelas Tactical Tater' II vest for the coming season.

Let me know how you like that one.  It's high on my list, but I'm very picky.  I wish Bass Pro would have better selections, but they have a terrible selection here :( 
Title: Re: turkey vest
Post by: ronmexico on February 01, 2010, 08:49:06 AM
what vest will you be wearing most this spring?  i love my super elite III (i love the layout), but might be looking at a strap vest that is a bit cooler, maybe an ol' tom. 

I've hunted an old Bucklick Creek vest for several years and decided to retire it as it was killing my rear.  So I just ordered a Cabelas Tactical Tater' II vest for the coming season.

if the seat isn't to your liking, i'd add a wheelbarrow innertube or one of these-

http://store.oltomgobbler.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=oltom&Category_Code=OLTOMDONUTSEAT
Title: Re: turkey vest
Post by: wiltznucs on February 01, 2010, 08:53:57 AM

if the seat isn't to your liking, i'd add a wheelbarrow innertube or one of these-

http://store.oltomgobbler.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=oltom&Category_Code=OLTOMDONUTSEAT

I actually have one of those, the problem is here in Osceola country there are sand spurs and cacti all over the place.  I spent more time patching the tube than hunting with it, so I need to go to another option.
Title: Re: turkey vest
Post by: ronmexico on February 01, 2010, 08:56:32 AM

if the seat isn't to your liking, i'd add a wheelbarrow innertube or one of these-

http://store.oltomgobbler.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=oltom&Category_Code=OLTOMDONUTSEAT

I actually have one of those, the problem is here in Osceola country there are sand spurs and cacti all over the place.  I spent more time patching the tube than hunting with it, so I need to go to another option.

i can relate to the sand spurs, no fun.
Title: Re: turkey vest
Post by: Shadowturkeycaller on February 01, 2010, 08:58:22 AM
what vest will you be wearing most this spring?  i love my super elite III (i love the layout), but might be looking at a strap vest that is a bit cooler, maybe an ol' tom. 

Blake,

Maybe you should come out with one that is snake proof??? *dance*

Gregg ;D
Title: Re: turkey vest
Post by: ronmexico on February 01, 2010, 09:04:29 AM
what vest will you be wearing most this spring?  i love my super elite III (i love the layout), but might be looking at a strap vest that is a bit cooler, maybe an ol' tom. 

Blake,

Maybe you should come out with one that is snake proof??? *dance*

Gregg ;D

gregg, that might defeat the purpose of it being cooler.  you had better believe that i take a good look around, before plopping down.  between the timber rattlers and cotton mouths, my eyes are always looking.  i wouldn't dare enter the woods without my snake boots.
Title: Re: turkey vest
Post by: letinmfly on February 01, 2010, 09:22:08 AM
SNAKES!!!!!!!!!!!!  *wha*  *aah* *aah* *aah*
Title: Re: turkey vest
Post by: J R Hunt Camp on February 02, 2010, 10:50:10 AM

... the Ol' Tom T&M Strap Vest for me most of the time (with a couple of their pot & box call holders clipped to the o-rings) ... ::)
... if it gets a little colder, I'll take my Ol' Tom T&M Standard Vest out - the T&M system works good for me ... 8)

Title: Re: turkey vest
Post by: drabndouble on February 02, 2010, 06:12:46 PM
I'm loosin' the vest this spring . Ain't decided on a seat yet . I ain't against standin' and workin' a bird .
Title: Re: turkey vest
Post by: Porter on February 02, 2010, 06:39:54 PM
I'm loosin' the vest this spring . Ain't decided on a seat yet . I ain't against standin' and workin' a bird .

Had a good friend that hunted that way.  Used the tree to hide his movements and reposition on the birds.  Also said it always helped him get above the vegetation.

I carry a little seat with me sometimes.  Ditched it last year due to weight (about 5lbs). 
Title: Re: turkey vest
Post by: tra_cline on February 02, 2010, 06:49:37 PM
Anyone remember the vest at the convention a few years back from a texas company I think? Vest was awesome but was like 200.oo, I loved looks but not the price. Now I wish I had bought one. would love to find one again crap I see where this is gonna lead. bout' 200.oo less in my pocket. Now I want one!
Title: Re: turkey vest
Post by: wiltznucs on February 06, 2010, 10:46:54 AM

Let me know how you like that one.  It's high on my list, but I'm very picky.  I wish Bass Pro would have better selections, but they have a terrible selection here :( 

Well I got the new Cabelas Tactical Tater II vest in this week.  I gotta tell you its pretty darn nice.  My initial impression was that it seemed heavier than my old vest, and it probably is.  However, the vest is very compact and sits a little higher on the chest than my old vest.  Once your wearing it, the vest seems far less cumbersome than my older Bucklick Creek vest.  The pockets are logically laid out and all of them are lined with a soft knit fabric so as to be quiet and also not damage those pricier calls we sometimes carry.  One of my biggest complaints about the Bucklick was that the vest itself chewed up a number of my calls over the years.  The box call holder is great and locks the lid as to not make a sound when walking.  The vest is made of a breathable mesh fabric and the padding of the seat and the back of the vest are superb.  I'm really looking forward to getting the vest some field time this spring...
Title: Re: turkey vest
Post by: BD1 on February 06, 2010, 12:59:34 PM
I've got the Super Elite III and love it.  I can put a lot of calls in that thing.

Todd

+1
Title: Re: turkey vest
Post by: Bulldogmikey on February 06, 2010, 04:42:53 PM
I guess he hunts that way all the time but I noticed on video clips Marlin Watkins carries a bag. Now that is a neat idea. I probably would do that any day before I would wear a vest!

Mike
Title: Re: turkey vest
Post by: stubby458 on February 06, 2010, 04:50:17 PM
Hard to believe but I still wear the original Gobbler Elite in Greenleaf.  Bought it in 1990 and it has served me well.  I really haven't found one that compare to it.  Excluding the wafer thin cushion I can't seem to part with it.  A lot of memories in that vest!!!!!!!!
Title: Re: turkey vest
Post by: jim-n-em on February 07, 2010, 02:30:02 PM
I just bought an Ol' Tom vest from Bass Pro in Clarksville, IN.  Thinking about getting the Ol' Tom Tactical pants as well.  Anyone tried these.  One thing that I won't go to the woods without is my Cabela's Gobbler Lounger.  This is an awesome chair, very comfortable.  It is easy to sit still for a long time without moving around or your butt and legs falling asleep.  I will say that the only time I will not take that chair is when I hunt with Brent in his MTU (Mobile Turkey Unit). :)  He has a sweet setup.
Title: Re: turkey vest
Post by: Porter on February 07, 2010, 02:30:54 PM
I just bought the tactical pants and mesh shirt.  I'll see how I like them, but I think they are going to work out ok!

Title: Re: turkey vest
Post by: jim-n-em on February 07, 2010, 02:32:30 PM
I think I am going to buy them the next trip I make to Bass Pro.
Title: Re: turkey vest
Post by: J R Hunt Camp on February 07, 2010, 03:02:57 PM

I've got & hunted the Ol' Tom "Vestless System" stuff - quality stuff (but I've only bought it on sale, or from their clearance section) ...
... I have the reg & mesh shirts, pants, & bibs - & I've used them with their "On the Go" Turkey Seat (attaches to your belt, & clips up to the magnets in the shirts) ...
If you're huntin' quick & carryin' light, I really like the stuff - but I found that most of the time I'm grabbin' my 3D suit & OT T&M strap vest ... ::)

... truly a "to each his own" preference on this one ... ;)

Title: Re: turkey vest
Post by: Porter on February 07, 2010, 03:54:32 PM
Thanks for posting what the magnets in the shirt is for... I was trying to figure out how I was going to magnetize a tree :P