Osage Roost

All Hunting => Fall Turkey Hunting => Topic started by: muzzleman on December 01, 2013, 08:18:18 AM

Title: Black Friday Hunt
Post by: muzzleman on December 01, 2013, 08:18:18 AM
Hunted Friday In the elk refuge  With a Joe and a good friend that we Deer hunt with. We started out busting up about a dozen Gobblers in the morning, We  set up and called and had a few call back but none came in . We moved out a ridge top and didn't go to far when Cutter busted a nice flock of birds. WE set up and called and had birds calling everwhere. At one point I had three Different birds come in ,I had a nice hen show up and that just squawked her head off , then I had two gobblers show up that walked around in some berry bushes above me for along time before they moved off .  After about 45 minutes I got a hen to come to Bobby and our hunt was over. ON the way out we came accross  Seven Gobblers sitting right up in the berry bushes eating berries.  WE went and got something to eat , then went back up in the strippings to see if we could bust some up for the next morning, about 4 :00 o,clock we found a small flock out on a ridge top headed for some pines , so we put Cutter and Rosie on them and it wasn't long before we could see them flying down on to the side of the hill.  Went back with Mtngobbler the next morning and had birds call to us but moved off and regrouped.  So we decided to move out the ridge where we broke the flock the day before. AS Shawn and I walked out this road  Cutter took off and was gone for awhile When we looked up and could see turkeys flying by to our right. We moved out accross a field to the top of this ridge with a steep side hill, we called and could here birds calling down over.  we moved out the hill alittle and set up and started to call, we had birds coming from my left When we heard some body whistling and talking, then we could here a  Distress call for quite awhile The two birds that were coming in flew right over my head. I think we got in the middle of somebodys Coyote hunt. After the distress call all the birds just shut up.   So we thought we would try another place. When we got there there was some trucks already sitting there  and two guys said that they had just broke up some turkeys there and had one down,  We got cutter out of the truck and it wasn't long before he  found it and was shaking the snot out of it,  And the guy wasn't very happy about it. THey said that most of the birds ran down over the back side of the hill, so Cutter and I circled the top of the hill and flushed two turkeys , ther was lots of people Riding around in the stripping hunting , Getting ready for buck season  or just looking for the elk WE thought we would go back to where we where in the morning and set up and call again WE took a different road back down and ran in to that flock down on a side hill crossing the road  . We put Cutter on them and he ended up circleing them and running about ten birds right by us before he flushed them.  We set up and called and had I guy right above us calling and had more  vehicles drive by so we just got up and left.  I was hoping to get Shawn a bird before we left but it didn't work out.    Cutter and I season is over and it was alot of fun , Rosie  had an amazing year for a six month old pup. She did well on ringnecks and turkeys and next year we will have another Boykin, Shawn new pup Buster . I told Cutter on the way home Hunting season is over but that don't mean we can't go with out a gun.
Title: Re: Black Friday Hunt
Post by: The Woodsman on December 01, 2013, 08:32:33 AM
Sorry I wasn't able to go Bill..... sounded like a really good day.
Denny