Osage Roost

All Hunting => Fall Turkey Hunting => Topic started by: hawglips on November 11, 2013, 02:17:09 PM

Title: VA morning flock music
Post by: hawglips on November 11, 2013, 02:17:09 PM
Got out into the fall woods for my annual hunt last Saturday.  It was a mighty purty morning to be out.  I hadn't been in there since Dec 2011 and hoped I'd stumble into some birds in this one area where I knew they liked to roost in past years.  I got in there in the dark without busting any out of the trees, and so I just waited to see if I could hear anything come flydown time.

Sure enough, I started to hear some flydown racket off in the distance, and so I set off to get into the game.  By the time I got there they were on the ground and I tried to call some over the hill to me.  But they had their minds made up where they were heading and I spent the next couple hours trying to get them to come to me.  I couldn't quite get them to come and I couldn't swing around in front of them and I couldn't get close enough to get a bust.  But I was having a blast making all kinds of turkey noise back and forth with them.  There wasn't 5 minutes went by without them talking back and forth to me.  Got to love it when they are vocal on a still fall morning.

Finally, after getting wet crossing a creek, after they got to where they wanted to be, I got them to come check me out.   It's a good thing it ended soon after the creek because I'd have been uncomfortable for the rest of the day in wet pants and socks.

(http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff168/hawglips/Virginia%20hen%2011-2-13/IMG_1312_zps8612a976.jpg) (http://s243.photobucket.com/user/hawglips/media/Virginia%20hen%2011-2-13/IMG_1312_zps8612a976.jpg.html)

(http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff168/hawglips/Virginia%20hen%2011-2-13/IMG_1314_zpsaa77bcfd.jpg) (http://s243.photobucket.com/user/hawglips/media/Virginia%20hen%2011-2-13/IMG_1314_zpsaa77bcfd.jpg.html)
Title: Re: VA morning flock music
Post by: Shadetree Callers on November 11, 2013, 03:05:08 PM
Congrats
Title: Re: VA morning flock music
Post by: The Woodsman on November 11, 2013, 03:59:24 PM
Congrats! Sounds like an interesting day! What kind of over/under are you using?

Denny
Title: Re: VA morning flock music
Post by: firedup on November 11, 2013, 07:01:05 PM
Way to stay after em!   Nice hunt! ;D
Title: Re: VA morning flock music
Post by: Turkeybuster on November 11, 2013, 07:10:46 PM
Congrats. on a nice fall bird.

Jon
Title: Re: VA morning flock music
Post by: jmck on November 11, 2013, 09:16:36 PM
Congrats on the fine fall hunt
Title: Re: VA morning flock music
Post by: hawglips on November 12, 2013, 04:41:39 AM
Congrats! Sounds like an interesting day! What kind of over/under are you using?

Denny

Denny, that's a 28 ga CZ Woodcock.  It's become my favorite turkey gun the last couple years.
Title: Re: VA morning flock music
Post by: Silverspur on November 12, 2013, 06:55:14 AM
Congrats to you, I fell on Friday and got a little wet myself crossing a small creek in the snow and freezing rain.
Title: Re: VA morning flock music
Post by: M Sharpe on November 15, 2013, 07:07:04 AM
Congrats Hal on a rewarding hunt!!
Title: Re: VA morning flock music
Post by: milkman on November 16, 2013, 07:44:25 PM
Man Hal you're rough on those turkeys no matter the season. Congrats.
Title: Re: VA morning flock music
Post by: TRKYHTR on December 07, 2013, 10:08:19 PM
WTG Hal nice turkey.

TRKYHTR
Title: Re: VA morning flock music
Post by: AlabamaDave on December 08, 2013, 08:31:36 PM
That's getting it done!...Good goin Hal!