Osage Roost

Turkey Call Paradise => From the Callmaker's Bench => Topic started by: Jake St. John on November 11, 2013, 11:05:19 AM

Title: A special "East of the Slash" Stribling Cutting Call
Post by: Jake St. John on November 11, 2013, 11:05:19 AM
I had a Turkey Hunter last year in Nashville put in an order for one exactly like my old cutting call that I was letting folks play.  I did this for them to get an idea of that old gobbler sound and raspy old hen that could be put in a Stribling box.  I had been sick about 6 months before Nashville, and could not make any up.  I only had time for a few Turpins.  I called him last week and he was very specific, even down to no washer, just the screw, paddle and box.  He wanted that old rattle just like he played on both sides in Nashville.  A very tall order from a very astute turkey hunter with a keen ear.  I matched the walnut wood density of my old call with a semi burl piece and a piece of mahogany that is as close to my old mahogany paddle as I have found.  Here is the call with a whisper of a finish in the morning light.  I have to admit it has a better gobbler on it than "Sweetness" and an old raspy hen with a dead on matching sound.

This is an example of why I make these things.   ---- Like the A team used to say, "Don't you just love it when a plan comes together." 

(https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/q77/s320x320/1463394_436342946472247_454957703_n.jpg)

(https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/q74/s320x320/1456124_436340893139119_1910683608_n.jpg)

Thanks for the look,
Mr. E

       
Title: Re: A special "East of the Slash" Stribling Cutting Call
Post by: Turkeybuster on November 11, 2013, 11:58:17 AM
Sweet looking call John nice work as always.

Jon
Title: Re: A special "East of the Slash" Stribling Cutting Call
Post by: jmck on November 11, 2013, 03:25:54 PM
a stunning piece of Walnut Mr E......
another FINE looking and sounding caller  *up*
Title: Re: A special "East of the Slash" Stribling Cutting Call
Post by: fargobox on November 11, 2013, 05:32:40 PM
Mr. John, now that is a sweet block of Walnut and if I didn't know better I would guess it came from the butt cut with all that super figuring in it.  A better golle than "Sweetness" well say it ain't so John, is that really possible??!!  *up* *up*
Title: Re: A special "East of the Slash" Stribling Cutting Call
Post by: Jacobson on November 11, 2013, 06:44:01 PM
That is going to be one happy turkey hunter!!!
Title: Re: A special "East of the Slash" Stribling Cutting Call
Post by: firedup on November 11, 2013, 06:53:29 PM
That walnut is killer Mr. E!! RkLu
Title: Re: A special "East of the Slash" Stribling Cutting Call
Post by: doublespurs21 on November 11, 2013, 07:12:12 PM
nice call. love the walnut
Title: Re: A special "East of the Slash" Stribling Cutting Call
Post by: kygobbler on November 11, 2013, 08:21:21 PM
That is a very nice looking call indeed.
Title: Re: A special "East of the Slash" Stribling Cutting Call
Post by: fklll on November 11, 2013, 09:16:57 PM
Mr. E thats a great looking call. You got to love it!  *up*
Title: Re: A special "East of the Slash" Stribling Cutting Call
Post by: B-Ready on November 12, 2013, 07:33:33 AM
If it's anything like "sweetness" it's a winner.... Great job Mr.E !
Title: Re: A special "East of the Slash" Stribling Cutting Call
Post by: WillowRidgeCalls on November 12, 2013, 10:10:04 AM
Great looking call, John.
Title: Re: A special "East of the Slash" Stribling Cutting Call
Post by: AlanKrow on November 12, 2013, 11:52:49 AM
Sweet.. *up*
Title: Re: A special "East of the Slash" Stribling Cutting Call
Post by: The Woodsman on November 12, 2013, 04:41:24 PM
Great looking call......
Denny