Osage Roost

All Hunting => Fall Turkey Hunting => Topic started by: The Woodsman on November 06, 2013, 03:43:29 AM

Title: Flock roosted at night?
Post by: The Woodsman on November 06, 2013, 03:43:29 AM
Gonna pick your brains.........

Bust em up at night or morning? And why?

Thanks!

Denny
Title: Re: Flock roosted at night?
Post by: K on November 06, 2013, 11:40:37 AM
morning.....if possible let them get 100 yards or so from the roost before sending them to the 4 winds..
Title: Re: Flock roosted at night?
Post by: PA Boxcall on November 06, 2013, 02:28:16 PM
An evening break makes for lots of excited calling first thing in the morning as they try to figure out how to get back together, and you have many birds on the ground right away running around to other yelping.  Either when done right is effective.

I do know that if you have a good break at dusk, it makes for a short, short night of good sleep.... *dance*
Title: Re: Flock roosted at night?
Post by: The Woodsman on November 06, 2013, 03:59:23 PM
K, I am assuming you are using your dog...... I kan't run that fast....

I busted a roosted flock last night, about 20 birds, my sleeping was nil...... when they started calling this morning the woods lit up. There were birds in trees all over. Dive bombers  *lol*

I harvested a nice young gobbler early and then enjoyed the show. I got to try various calls and well they kind of liked them all......

Denny
Title: Re: Flock roosted at night?
Post by: K on November 06, 2013, 04:03:26 PM
K, I am assuming you are using your dog......


when it komes to fall turkeys.....I wouldn't do it any other way.. ;)


kongrats on the bird... 8)
Title: Re: Flock roosted at night?
Post by: jmck on November 06, 2013, 04:26:42 PM
congrats Denny
vocalizations in the fall is great !!!!
Title: Re: Flock roosted at night?
Post by: The Woodsman on November 06, 2013, 05:15:47 PM
The end result of an evening roost break-up......

(http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh98/Caninester/DSC01769.jpg) (http://s254.photobucket.com/user/Caninester/media/DSC01769.jpg.html)
Title: Re: Flock roosted at night?
Post by: muzzleman on November 06, 2013, 05:42:47 PM
You can't beat hunting in the fall Denny, all the turkey talk is great .I called a flock of one hill on to another hill the other morning, I listened to them for 30 or 40 minutes, then I let Cutter do his thing. It was kinda neat listening to all that Mature hens, jakes gobbling , Jakes yelping, young hens kee keeing.and that was before Cutter broke them up. Then things really got crazy for awhile. As far as morning or nite with a dog I don't think it matters.
Title: Re: Flock roosted at night?
Post by: Turkeybuster on November 06, 2013, 06:24:28 PM
Congrats. on a nice bird Denny sounds like a lot of fun. I see you used my favorite call to.

Jon
Title: Re: Flock roosted at night?
Post by: strutnrut on November 07, 2013, 05:52:06 PM
Congats Denny
Title: Re: Flock roosted at night?
Post by: The Woodsman on November 07, 2013, 06:15:19 PM
Now "the rest of story"........

I knew there was a flock in the area so I set up close to one of their roosting sites about two hours before fly up. About dusk I heard a couple clucks and some wings beating, they pitched up about 50 yards behind me. I snuck over to where they were and with a nice sized stick I started a little commotion and proceeded to bump what I could off the roost. It ended up being a pretty good break with birds going to at least 3 points of the compass.....
I being satisfied with my break got out of there and headed to the house. Put together my game plan for the next morning, dug out the calls for my mission.
Talk about a restless night of sleep!! I was ready to go at 2 in the morning......LOL
Alarm went off and let me tell you I was ready to go! Double checked my arsenal and I was gone...
I got to my parking spot.... made sure again of everything in my vest. My gun was panting ready to roar. Made sure my FFIII was turned on, safety on, loaded up and up the road I went towards my roosted birds. I had a little trouble finding a good setup tree but found a good spot under a small hemlock stand.
Cleared the leaf clutter away, got situated as best I could. An angled hill and tree roots are not a place to sit but ya gotta take what you got in front of you. Dug my calls out and put in arms reach. Settled in waiting for dawn and the woods to wake up.
About an hour into the morning the woods started stirring, first a few clucks from directly behind me then the early morning lost turkey talk began. If you have never experienced it, you need to get out there.
The bird behind me pitched off and started lost yelping, more birds were pitching down. I started calling with my Terefencko Halloween Longbox, a couple were really responding good to the call, some could have cared less but I had their attention. All of the sudden one came flying in from across the hollow and pretty much landed in my lap. Think Denny, get gun..... slip the call down and get the gun. I slowly eased the gun up and into position, my hemlock stand made for a good cover as my movement went undetected. Settled the FFIII dot on his head, safety off and squeezed the trigger. He slammed down and did the wing beat of death.....
My plan worked out....this time! All in all a great day!

Denny
Title: Re: Flock roosted at night?
Post by: jmck on November 07, 2013, 07:52:05 PM
congrats Denny
Bills right---hard to beat the turkey talk in the fall  *up*
Title: Re: Flock roosted at night?
Post by: mikey715 on November 07, 2013, 09:47:34 PM
I'm jealous!!  Congrats Denny!! *up*
Title: Re: Flock roosted at night?
Post by: callmakerman on November 08, 2013, 10:16:32 AM
Sounds like a good time to me. Congrats Denny
Title: Re: Flock roosted at night?
Post by: firedup on November 11, 2013, 07:13:49 PM
Man that was a great story. I love those fall hunts when the birds are active and vocal.  I think ya played it just rite! ;)
Title: Re: Flock roosted at night?
Post by: Jake St. John on November 13, 2013, 05:49:18 AM
Denny, Down here we have had a fall season on the Miss. River for about 30 or so years.  We cannot use dogs.  The evening bust after they have settled in and cannot get back together are some of the best busts I have had.  I am like you and never seemed to run fast enough to send them to the 4 winds in the AM.  I remember busting a flock 1200 steps from a road one evening.  I was running late the next morning.  I left my calls on a table where I was fooling with them after supper.  Realized I had no calls with me and whistled a kee kee with my mouth and scratched in the leaves.  Limit obtained in short order.  Spending the night apart does wonders to them.  They seem to be Very vocal.

Congratulations my friend, I am envious since we have have not fall hunted on the river in the last 10 years.  Floods have decimated our population.
Mr. E