Osage Roost
All Hunting => Fall Turkey Hunting => Topic started by: muzzleman on November 03, 2013, 09:53:45 AM
-
The morning started out with my cousin and on the top of a hill listening to lots of turkeys talking on a side hill below us. Unfortnally we were not the only ones there. We waited till we could here them flying down, then we walked out the top of the hill , and dropped over the side with Cutter and didn't get very far till i could them alarm putting and flying. There was at least two or three guys cut loose on them as they flew back accross the hill. As cutter and I worked accross the hill he put up another couple birds. AS I worked my way back up the hill to to find a spot to call from there was a shot right out in front of me, When I got on the the bench above me there,s Cutter in a blind with another guy that just shot a turkey, He said cutter got to his turkey before he did. I got back with my cousin decided to many people and we moved on without even setting up to call. As we were driving to check out another spot we spotted eleven gobblers feeding on a side hill, We checked them out with the binoclers and decided to keep the dogs on a leash till we worked our way up a ravine and brush to the left of the birds till we got up on top above the birds then drop down on them with dogs when we got up top there was even more turkeys on top I left cutter loose and he scatttered them , when we dropped over the side we didn't see the gobbers anymore But most of the birds that was on top flew on to a steep side hil land we figered thats where the gobblers went to. I told my cousin to drop over the side up top and i would drop down over with Cutter and come around We didn't go very far and Cutter started to bark like crazy, I only seen two birds fly but it sounded like a good bust. I climbed back up to top and got back with Joe, We split up to set up to call , After about 30 or 40 minutes there was birds callin everywhere The first bird that came in was a small hen and I passed . I could here a jake yelping to my left and as it worked its way towards me I could here a bird Clucking below me, the jake showed up and I left him walk thinking I had a bigger gobbler coming. but when it showed up it was a jake two but it didn't look right , as it got closer i seen that it's wings where almost all white, I never seen one like that, so Cutter and I decided to give him a dirt Nap.
(http://i821.photobucket.com/albums/zz132/willy8457/SAM_0749_zps6f601e98.jpg) (http://s821.photobucket.com/user/willy8457/media/SAM_0749_zps6f601e98.jpg.html)
(http://i821.photobucket.com/albums/zz132/willy8457/SAM_0745_zps7f6d37b1.jpg) (http://s821.photobucket.com/user/willy8457/media/SAM_0745_zps7f6d37b1.jpg.html)
(http://i821.photobucket.com/albums/zz132/willy8457/SAM_0748_zps889f4002.jpg) (http://s821.photobucket.com/user/willy8457/media/SAM_0748_zps889f4002.jpg.html)
(http://i821.photobucket.com/albums/zz132/willy8457/SAM_0789_zpsde434980.jpg) (http://s821.photobucket.com/user/willy8457/media/SAM_0789_zpsde434980.jpg.html)
(http://i821.photobucket.com/albums/zz132/willy8457/SAM_0776_zpsd26bbe63.jpg) (http://s821.photobucket.com/user/willy8457/media/SAM_0776_zpsd26bbe63.jpg.html)
(http://i821.photobucket.com/albums/zz132/willy8457/SAM_0796_zpse78859ea.jpg) (http://s821.photobucket.com/user/willy8457/media/SAM_0796_zpse78859ea.jpg.html)
(http://i821.photobucket.com/albums/zz132/willy8457/SAM_0790_zps9a784c9b.jpg) (http://s821.photobucket.com/user/willy8457/media/SAM_0790_zps9a784c9b.jpg.html)
(http://i821.photobucket.com/albums/zz132/willy8457/SAM_0770_zpsbfbddcb2.jpg) (http://s821.photobucket.com/user/willy8457/media/SAM_0770_zpsbfbddcb2.jpg.html)
(http://i821.photobucket.com/albums/zz132/willy8457/SAM_0760_zpsaa5e8044.jpg) (http://s821.photobucket.com/user/willy8457/media/SAM_0760_zpsaa5e8044.jpg.html)
-
Congrats. on your bird and a wild day in the woods. That sure is a different looking bird there is a lot of white in him it must be in the strain somewhere. I am sure he isnt the only one that looks like that either.
I shot a gobbler one spring in lycoming co. that was the picture of a merriam he is on the wall. I had a gobbler shot out from under me yesterday while coming to the call that was the highlight of the day.
Jon
-
Congrats Bill to you and Cutter- ya had a trying day didn't ya- can't believe ya found cutter with another hunters set up- hahaha- it's a good thing he wasn't trigger happy!!
Your bird is colored up great friend- is it going to the taxidermists?? It's a rare one for sure!!
Congrats again and hope ya have a blast with cutter
-
Glad that you and Cutter got out of the first hunt ok.
Congrats on the second hunt.
Cutter sure is a good looking pup.
-
That's how its done! Nice hunt. Struggled thru a few other hunters and conflicts and still succeeded. Love to have a turkey dog someday. ;D
-
Hunted with some freinds today , Started out a little slow but ended with a bang. The first place we hunted didn't se any birds . moved to the next place and Cutter broke a large flock . Pretty neat morning ,I haven't heard that much turkey talk in a long time, They really liked Marlin "s Long Box. We ended up getting three birds. I got invited to hunt On some private land in New York Tomorrow So i'm getting up early and hitting the road.
-
Good luck tomorrow sounds like a good season.
Jon
-
Super day! Good luck today!
Denny
-
Looks like it started with a "bang"
Congrats
-
Have a blast following Cutter- y'all seem to be really in em Bill
And talking with all those vocal birds
Keep us posted on the hunting
Great luck
-
That a cool bird you took. Great story
-
kool piks...kongrats
-
Did well in new york yesterday, Gonna take a friend back to where I hunted saturday today. It's been along week for me and it's only wednesday. I will try to post pics later ,I think i'm going to try to get some video today. Following Cutter around is wearing me out. My season is over so at least I don't have to carry my gun , Lighten the load a little Having a really good season so far
-
looking forward to stories and pics Bill
-
Bill a great story and glad things was alright getting cutter back.
-
Cutter and I are having an excelent year, We went to new York the other day and got two birds. WE ended up driving longer than we hunted. When we got there the the guy that owned the land said that the birds roosted high on a hill and came down about every morning to some fields . We had some coffee and talked about how to set up, as we set up I could hear a bird yelping down low on the hill. We set Cutter loose and started accross the hill sure enough we didn't go to far when Cutter started barking and Turkeys flying everwhere. I set up and called and had birds calling right away , after awile I had a nice hen come in with two whistlers with her I ended up getting her and one of the smaller birds with one shot. Tagged out , Yesterday I took a guy back up to clearfield county in th elk refuge area an got in to two different flocks, we seen ninety some elk and some huge bulls . the first flock wasn't a real good break and didn't get much of a response. The second one was a good break and some body shot down on the side hill below us on th e break. as we moved in to set up we ran in to a younger guy that said he knocked one down but couldn't find it, so we put cutter to work, first we found some feathers And cutter was off after awhile he stsrted to bark down over the hill and we could here lots of wing flapping by the time we got there Cutter had pretty much de feathered this turkey he had it pinned down but was still alive. The guy I was with said after we left I should have got I finders and plucking fee. anyways we set up and called and afterawhile we had a bird come in on the shot this turkey flopped around got up and made a beeline for the next hill . we put Cutter on it to but never found it. I'm taking a guy out today that is buying a boykin spaniel next week and wanted to hunt with one, I think he joined the roost last week, I have lots of pics to post of turkeys , The elk and of course Cutter I'll try to get them up over the weekend
-
You are having a banner year! Looking forward to the pictures....
Denny
-
Congrats Bill RkLu Now what do you do the rest of the season?
-
I had a couple guys that wanted to hunt today , But Cutter and I needed a break.We hunted yesterday and was in to them all day but they wasn't real talkative., the wind blew pretty hard all day and it was hard to hear. Cutter did his job we didn't hold up our part of the bargain. It was fun hunting with someone that is getting a Boykin, Shawn is exicted about getting his dog, he is going to pick it up sunday. If his dog is anything like Cutter he going to have a blast. My cousin's dog Rosie is only five months old and had some real good breaks herself, I'm going to try to find some one to hunt with on Black friday and Saturday to end my season, It's been fun but It don;t last long enough.
-
Congratulations Bill on a fine hunt.
-
I want to thank bill and Joe for taking me on my first turkey dog hunt last week..Cutter and Rosie did a great job and bill and Joe are some of the nicest people you will ever meet. I had a blast and the dogs definitely did their part.I am new to using dogs but these guys know their stuff..I drove to S.Carolina last weekend and picked up my boykin "Buster".... he's just a little guy now (6 weeks) but already has a lot of personality and loves chasing a wing already...Thanks again Bill!!!!!
-
Congrats on the introduction to a really fun way of turkey hunting- friends are great people that take time and interest to share the experience with you- compliments to Bill there !!
Also- congratulations on the new pup- I am sure the bonding has already started- I envey ya and get the pup ready to have a blast with ya next season