Osage Roost
All Hunting => Fall Turkey Hunting => Topic started by: jmck on October 13, 2013, 06:10:50 PM
-
opener in Tenn found Steve,Kenny,Matt,myself and two turkey dogs-Danny and Radio in a spot Steve and I hunt. 4 pranksters trying to be serious and get some birds down for the dogs---there was one MAJOR catch to this hunt---a NO BEARDED bird rule was set by Steve *wha*. Daybreak came and Kenny slipped a few yards off and softly teased em with his trumpet---yep-one answered....it was on *bannana*. We waited for flydown then slipped into the wood and turned the dogs loose....turkeys went everywhere!!! In no time---two were flopping. We gathered and planned to remain at the same spot and keep working it. Steves face was priceless--his first fall turkey dog hunt. The look on his face was priceless---he was in disbelief in what just happened, AND we were going to try it again from the same spot ROTFLMBO. One began coming in gobbling---yep---a jake and Matt almost ended Steves life on the tree---Steve said no *wha*---but a hen walked in after the jake left--this helped Matts demeanor a little *lol*.
The calls used were Cox trumpets,Watkins trumpet,Lumma trumpet,Buice trumpet,Kennys turpin,Marlins Snakewood butternut/snakewood fiddle and my butternut/bloodwood longbox. I believe Matt also had a Kenny turpin he was playing---
We left that spot for another --but the heat had hit 80 and it was just too hard on the dogs so we called the day. Kenny and Matt---Steve and I thank you for a great time introducing Steve to turkey dogging. the laughs and new nicknames earned that day will always be remembered. In fact---Steve was the brunt of a collaboration joke from us today---we played him really nasty, but it was hallarious!!!
Here are two proud -great turkey dogs --our hunting saviors of the day
Danny:
(http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss77/jmckamey/image_zpsbf6d7943.jpg) (http://s563.photobucket.com/user/jmckamey/media/image_zpsbf6d7943.jpg.html)
Radio:
(http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss77/jmckamey/image_zpsab62a688.jpg) (http://s563.photobucket.com/user/jmckamey/media/image_zpsab62a688.jpg.html)
-
Thats awesome man...I know you were excited when I talked to ya...Cant wait to head North on Thursday!!!!
-
Congrats. to y'all that is a good start to the season.
Jon
-
That's the way to start the season, off! Congrats gentleman! *up* *up* *up* *up* *up*
Bill
-
That does sound like a blast. Congrats on three nice ones. Good looking dogs also.
-
I bet that was a hoot of a hunt..... I can see Steve now *lol*
-
Snakeboots and company, fine job on those fall TN turkey's congrats to all and the dogs are great looking dogs! See Jeff, no demented yankee stuff on this post! ROTFLMBO
-
I bet that was a hoot of a hunt..... I can see Steve now *lol*
next time you won't.....he will be buried from the neck down.. ;D
-
Good job guys. *up*
-
Never hunted in the fall or with dogs, looks like fun!!!!!! *dance* *dance*
-
I'm sure yall had a blast with K involved..... ;D
-
*ride* Had a great time huntin with ya Jeff. Glad you got to see mine and kenny's dogs in action. Oh wiggle Worm had me so mad i couldnt see straight that morning when he told me I couldnt shoot a *gobble* turkey >!! *aah*! The way that boy was moving around i felt like there was a big sign up around our tree *stu*.lol. but the outcome was good. was a pleasure to hunt with ya Jeff. your welcome anytime.
-
Sounds like a great hunt Jeff....and that is what its about! Love them puppies! RkLu
-
Sounds Like alot of fun, Congrats to you and the dogs.
-
Those are memories you wont soon forget. Sounds like alot of fun. Congrats on the turkeys.
TRKYHTR