Osage Roost
All Hunting => Fall Turkey Hunting => Topic started by: jmck on October 13, 2013, 05:29:25 PM
-
This morn found Watts and myself waiting well before daylight where we expected birds to be roosted. Hadnt been there sense spring-but the woods there are more suited to bow hunting deer-if ya know what I mean...just not pretty woods for turkey!!! We slipped into a stand of pines that was the best suited roosting spot on the place and sat and waited. That time came for birds to announce their presence--and we heard not a peep. We started with soft clucks and yelps from the trumpets, moved up to a short box and graduated to some longbox action to try to prompt them....still nothing. Flydown time passed and we knew we had to MAKE something happen if it was going to. We talked and decided they must have roosted near agricultural fields where beans and corn had just been cut. We were off...we cut through the width of a big block of woods with a plan on checking the ag fields and gradually circling the block to our original place. The beans and corn held nothing either.....BUT while looking in the distance---we noticed a flock of hens working in the tall pasture grass feeding---it was on *bannana*....we actually had to drop in place and didn't get to set up. We started with one of Watts mud cured trumpets he just finished for a rooster here,a Watkins snakewood trumpet, a Watkins snakewood fiddle call and one of my Butternut/Bloodwood long boxes......here they came --slowly but one came and worked behind a tree between us forever. Tried to get Watts the shot on his first fall bird for what seemed like hours,but the bird kept the tree between them...I had the shot most of the time, and Brian finally coaxed me into not letting it get away. Bang-bird down *cheers*....turkeys flew everywhere ...in all directions around us. Brian thought the hunt was over,,,BUT ...I whispered it had just begun !!!! After only 5-7 minutes --the kee'ing began. For a fall hunt---Brian experienced about ALL IT COULD be...the birds were as vocal as any I have ever heard. We played with them with everything we had---and they always co operated. Finally, he they came. There had to be at least 40 hens parade past Brian---the gun roared.....and his first fall bird fell.... *bannana*---nothing like seeing what unfolded this morn, and being with Brian when he took his first fall bird ever....with action that cannot be described ---congrats Brian----I enjoyed witnessing it as much as you did friend.
(http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss77/jmckamey/image_zps833c27d8.jpg) (http://s563.photobucket.com/user/jmckamey/media/image_zps833c27d8.jpg.html)
(http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss77/jmckamey/image_zps2cae09ea.jpg) (http://s563.photobucket.com/user/jmckamey/media/image_zps2cae09ea.jpg.html)
-
A BIG CONGRATULATIONS to you guys, Brian this is special indeed and glad to see you enjoy both seasons up close and personal with Jeff and a whole flock!! *up*
-
That sounds like an exciting hunt jeffro. Congrats to ya both on a nice double.
-
I told Jeff I was thankful for him posting his picture on here. I needed something to keep the mice out of the workshop and think this will work quite well.
-
Marlin---that's one less shell I have to bring up there ROTFLMBO *peep* ;D
-
Congrats. that was a good hunt.
Jon
-
*lol* That look on Watts Face is like "What the heck just happened" Awesome hunt guys....Hey Marlin how do you think I keep my shop rid of flys...all those pics I have of ole Snakeboots...
-
Brian EXPERIENCED fall talk at its best today---he couldn't believe that were stayed there to call more birds in after I shot. He is still in dis belief in what he saw and more important---what all he heard---it was some intense turkey talk for a long time.
The look on ones face when that happened is priceless..... *lol*--it a total shock/confused look
-
Congrats guy's that sounds like an awesome time. Marlin and Tim I guess I need to get one of those pictures to put in my shop to get rid of all the critter's. *peep* *peep* *peep* ROTFLMBO ROTFLMBO ROTFLMBO
-
thanks jeff for posting . yes this was my first time fall hunting and the turkeys talk was unreal for me to hear by far. that look WAS oh chit my back is killing me because how I had to sit for atleast hr or so because how we got on the birds. it heck to have a mess up back but that life it will not stop me from hunting with my best bud by far. SCOTT your trumpet pass with a A+ and has a notch on it now so this week it will be in the mail my friend.all I took this morning was that mud cure because iam still new at trumpet making and wanted to see what I make would call a turkey. iam really in shock on how the birds talk this morning because ewe had birds about 5 or so with end 40 yds in trees talk every time jeff or I would call to them. if I never get to go again iam good of what show me today.. again thanks you MR. jeff for a day that will stay with me until I die... *up*
-
Congrats guys! Brian fall hunting can and is exciting with all the turkey sounds you hear. *up*
Them young ones are great deep fried nuggets, enjoy guys!
-
Sounds like a great day to me.
-
hey JEFF iam OPEN for weds morning my friend....think about it tonight ROTFLMBO ROTFLMBO
-
Congrats guys!...It must have been A blast!
-
I can fly in for Thursday and meet Brian while you (Jeff) journey up north. *peep* That's right you will hear gobbling all night long at the Limbhanger ROTFLMBO
-
Fall is a great time of the year!!.. Congrats Brian on a awesome fall hunt with Snakeboots. *bannana* *bannana* Way to double up guy's.... RkLu
-
The ONLY part of the Watkins trip I ...DREAD ... Bob , is hearing Bullocks snoring *aah*
I have taken the LIBERTY of calling the wardens, the DA, and the cops I know- they have pictures of you and Brian, and tag numbers to be on the lookout for
Hahaha
-
We will be field testing Brian's trumpets and Julie said she would leave the shop open in case we need more calls ;)
-
The wife would love to be rid of those noise makers I bet *peep*
-
Fall days can be awesome for sure! Glad you guys got a taste of the best! ;D