Osage Roost

All Hunting => Fall Turkey Hunting => Topic started by: Will on October 03, 2013, 06:42:07 PM

Title: Food Source
Post by: Will on October 03, 2013, 06:42:07 PM
Question for you guys. I'm in Maryland and our acorn crop this year is spotty at best. Spoke to a biologist in Western Maryland where our fall season will begin in a few weeks and he said they are scarce. This is vast mountain area so do you think the focus will be on wild grapes, berries and fields. I was also thinking creek beds where there is water for maybe insects. Just curious as to how you guys would approach.
Title: Re: Food Source
Post by: SOONER on October 03, 2013, 07:23:04 PM
I like falls where food is a little hard to find. It keeps birds moving generally. I would start with soft mast which they prefer anyway before it gets cold. The other thing I notice when food is hard to find is if you find one little grove of acorns or beech the birds will spend all day there and never travel more than 300 yards from that area. Best of luck
Title: Re: Food Source
Post by: Will on October 05, 2013, 02:30:16 AM
I appreciate the advice. I will start putting some miles on my boots and hope I can locate.