Osage Roost

General Forum => General Discussion => Topic started by: doublespurs21 on September 22, 2013, 06:51:40 PM

Title: vibrating tongue calls
Post by: doublespurs21 on September 22, 2013, 06:51:40 PM
 the nwtf has challenged any/all custom call makers  to build  a vibrating tongue  call and enter it in the 2014  call makers  competition at the nationals this year. has anybody heard of this???? this could be  a fun thing to try!!!!!!!!  chris
Title: Re: vibrating tongue calls
Post by: West Augusta on September 22, 2013, 07:00:38 PM
Wish they would make a hunting class for strikers.  *cry*
Title: Re: vibrating tongue calls
Post by: GR8CALLS on January 02, 2014, 12:58:11 PM
The tongue call is a neat little call. Most I have heard are a bit high pitched. I'm thinking of make a couple and entering them.

Bill
Title: Re: vibrating tongue calls
Post by: WillowRidgeCalls on January 04, 2014, 10:44:05 PM
Yep mine are already sent. They get entered into the Other Call pot call category and compete against the alum, copper, ceramic, titanium, rock, wood surfaced calls.
Title: Re: vibrating tongue calls
Post by: M Sharpe on January 05, 2014, 06:32:20 AM
Not that I have a horse in this race; but, I wish they would bust up the short box division and make one for Turpins and Gibsons. After observing the judges for the last couple years, neither will ever win the short box division.
Title: Re: vibrating tongue calls
Post by: WillowRidgeCalls on January 05, 2014, 08:33:36 AM
I agree the old style calls should have their own category, because you can't run a Turpin or Gibson the same way you'd run a Cost or modern style box call. The judges need to learn how to run them to get them to sound right. The same with the Tongue calls, they need their own catagory also, because they require a different style of playing even though they are a friction call, they are not a pot call. They put Trouph calls in their own category even though they are a friction call? The Tongue calls were supposed to have their own category, but for some reason Nationals didn't offer one, could be they are testing the waters to see how many actually get entered? IMO I think you'd see a lot more calls entered at Nationals in both categories, old style box calls and tongue calls if they had their own category?
Title: Re: vibrating tongue calls
Post by: Old Geezer on January 05, 2014, 10:22:03 AM
The article on tongue calls in "Turkey Country" made it look like they would have a separate category, but when the rules arrived, no such luck.  After a phone call and emails I finally got the response of where they are putting them.  Therefore I am not entering one.  I agree with Willow Ridge, they would get more entries, thus more $$.  That's what they understand.  NWTF is not much about customer service to the callmaker.

Ralph
Title: Re: vibrating tongue calls
Post by: callmakerman on January 05, 2014, 11:09:27 AM
The question that needs to be asked is why challenge call makers to do this when they have no real chance of placing in a category where the call doesn't belong. Just more money to the NWTF. As far as the Gibson and Turpin boxes. I had someone  run it by Charlie Burke and if this was done as this call maker said he did he was told it would not happen as they have a hard time getting enough judges now. Turpin and Gibson calls need their own category and yes I do believe they would get plenty of calls entered as do the Tongue calls and then they would get more money and happier call makers.
Title: Re: vibrating tongue calls
Post by: callmakerman on January 05, 2014, 11:12:36 AM
Calls need to be placed in categories were guys can compete with the same type of callers to see how they stack up and at least have a chance of showing. Other wise why bother.
Title: Re: vibrating tongue calls
Post by: Old Geezer on January 05, 2014, 11:33:19 AM
I enjoy judging the decorative calls and will do so again this year.  I have asked myself as to why more of the consistent winners in the call making contest have not come forward to judge.  They are cetainly qualified.  I would like to hear opinions on that.

Ralph
Title: Re: vibrating tongue calls
Post by: strutnrut on January 05, 2014, 05:09:58 PM
I  must admit that I get all of the Tongue about calls as it is to build one *peep*
I would like to at least see a the NWTF listen to the call maker for a change. If I  can afford to I may enter this year. Worst thing is everyone laughs. Haven't made up my mind. YET. WHEN do they have to be turned in?
Title: Re: vibrating tongue calls
Post by: doublespurs21 on January 05, 2014, 05:36:15 PM
if you are mailing the calls , they have to be at the national office by jan13,2014
Title: Re: vibrating tongue calls
Post by: West Augusta on January 05, 2014, 06:01:16 PM
If hand delivering calls in Nashville, I believe that the check also has to be there by Jan. 13th.
Title: Re: vibrating tongue calls
Post by: WillowRidgeCalls on January 05, 2014, 11:00:51 PM
When I talked with JJ Reich (the writter for the article) about how they were going to score the tongue calls if they didn't have a category for them, to find out which call won the top prize and acticle in the Turkey Country magazine write up? He told me that there was suppose to be a category for them, but Nationals didn't post it? He said he'd talk with the judges and see if they would score them separately from the other calls? If not then his editor (the editor of TC mag) would score them and give the best call the Editors Choice award, so they would have a call to write the artical about. Apparently the nwtf staff don't read their own magazine very carefully  *peep* ?  That's like when I entered my Gibson's in the hunting competition, it took Nationals six months to try and figure out what category they would go in and what a Gibson was classified as (a long or short box), they decided it was a long box. They had never had a Gibson entered into the hunting call competition, so they had no clue what to classify it as?
How many tongue calls have been entered in the competition before, anybody seen any?
Title: Re: vibrating tongue calls
Post by: strutnrut on January 07, 2014, 05:30:42 PM
Well that sucks on the 13th . Looks like I will have at least one good call with me.  ROTFLMBO
Title: Re: vibrating tongue calls
Post by: Reich0 on January 08, 2014, 07:51:10 PM
Hi Guys,  * hi *

I am the one who challenged all callmakers to enter a vibrating tongue call into the 2014 Grand National Call Making Contest.

I did this through my article, "Vibrating Tongue Friction Calls" published in the July/August issue of NWTF Turkey Country magazine.

Yes, callmakers will need to enter their vibrating tongue calls into the "Other Friction or Pot Call" category ...

However, I am working with the NWTF to help determine which vibrating tongue call within that larger category is the best. I trust we will find a way to do this.

After the vibrating tongue calls are judged, the "winning" vibrating tongue call will get special recognition in one of my upcoming articles in a 2014 issue of Turkey Country magazine!

I am also working with a corporate product sponsor to award a nice product prize to the "winning" vibrating call. This is also to-be-determined... stay tuned for that.

Anyway, I encourage all callmakers to enter a vibrating tongue call in 2014. I was told that if there is enough interest and participation of people entering a vibrating tongue call, then NWTF might make it's own category next year (2015).

I hope this anwsers your questions and if you are a callmaker, please enter!

THANK YOU!

JJ Reich
NWTF "Turkey Calls" Columnist
Title: Re: vibrating tongue calls
Post by: Silverspur on January 08, 2014, 11:16:08 PM
Thanks JJ, there has been a lot of confusion on this based on all the other posts listed in this thread!  Looking forward to seeing them at Nashville and maybe trying a couple out.  I know my NWTF RD is interested based on your article in the July issue.
Title: Re: vibrating tongue calls
Post by: GR8CALLS on January 09, 2014, 05:04:58 PM
 Just to let anyone know who may wish to enter, the dead line for entries in Monday, January 13.

Bill