Osage Roost
General Forum => General Discussion => Topic started by: Jake St. John on September 21, 2013, 11:34:35 AM
-
Just quartered a 3 ft diameter piece of walnut butt cut and I am worn out. In the early days on Whiskey Island in Tunica Co. there used to be a logging crew in 50's that was headed by logger actually named Butt Cut Smith. Needless to say that the family was in the logging business. The cut closest to the ground was the most valuable and called the butt cut. This one has some nice tight grain and been air drying in my garage for a couple of years. Should make some fine calls.
Mr. E
-
Sounds interesting John.....
Denny
-
John sounds like all the work will be worth it. Can't wait to see some of those calls you make out of it. *up*
-
An interesting fact occured a couple of years ago. A relative of Butt Cutt Smith did a logging job for a friend of mine in Tunica Co.
Mr. E
-
Here is the first Gator Stribling blank from the Butt Cut. Fine tight grain walnut.
(http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll150/jleddleman/100_1881_zpsbc7660eb.jpg)
(http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll150/jleddleman/100_1882_zps1e4c3faf.jpg)
-
I love it when I can get material like that. Can't wait to see what it looks like finished.
-
Here is a Turpin One Sider I just finished. Tight grain with sound dead on.
(http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll150/jleddleman/IMG_3664_zps3066eccd.jpg)
(http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll150/jleddleman/IMG_3663_zpsc3824747.jpg)
-
Fine looking walnut Mr. E. Going to make some killer calls for sure!!
-
Great looking calls out of that walnut Mr. E. *up*