Osage Roost

Turkey Call Paradise => From the Callmaker's Bench => Topic started by: Austy on September 01, 2013, 03:49:12 PM

Title: Box Elder Call Set
Post by: Austy on September 01, 2013, 03:49:12 PM
A while back M. Yingling had posted a request asking if anyone was interested in turning him a Trumpet call out of a piece of Box Elder that he had stabilized for a trade for a couple of other pieces of stabilized woods that he had.  I agreed with Mike to do the trade and he sent me 2 pieces of Box Elder 1 of which he had ear marked to make his Trumpet call from and the remaining pieces for me to use for myself.  I finished up his Trumpet call which had some really pretty color to the call and added an Elk Antler feral to the call to dress it up a little with a Black Delrin mouth piece and black adjustable rubber lip stop.  The call turned out Sweet!!!  With the second piece of stabilized Box Elder that he sent me I figured being I was in Elk Call mode that I would make him one of my Open Reed Cow Elk calls to try out being he doesn't live far from the Pennsylvania Elk Herd.  I've been experimenting with casting and cast a couple of Tone Boards for my elk calls this year so I thought with the pretty red streaks that were in the piece of Box Elder that he sent me that I would cast his Tone Board and Wedge a red color to match the color in the Box Elder.  To make the call match his Trumpet I put an Elk Antler band on the call.  Well I had 1 small piece of his Box Elder left so why not finish the set off with an all wooden Crow Call with an Elk Antler band to match his other calls.  To keep the calls in color coordination I made the mouth piece for his crow call from Padouk.
(http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff393/Austyjr/th_MikeYinglingBoxElder30_zps9c85e12c.jpg) (http://s1233.photobucket.com/user/Austyjr/media/MikeYinglingBoxElder30_zps9c85e12c.jpg.html)

I hope that I did that Box Elder justice for you with this call set Mike, enjoy your new calls.  I must say that the calls look much prettier in hand but then again that's my opinion.

Thanks for the look!!!
Title: Re: Box Elder Call Set
Post by: rio329 on September 01, 2013, 04:41:46 PM
nice job on those *up*
Title: Re: Box Elder Call Set
Post by: doublespurs21 on September 01, 2013, 04:52:24 PM
nice set of calls,,,,,,,,,,,,
Title: Re: Box Elder Call Set
Post by: MadYelper on September 01, 2013, 07:26:55 PM
Sweet!  *up*
Title: Re: Box Elder Call Set
Post by: Skeeter on September 01, 2013, 08:51:47 PM
REAL NICE LOOKING SET  *up*
Title: Re: Box Elder Call Set
Post by: Silverspur on September 02, 2013, 04:30:46 AM
Looking good to me! RkLu
Title: Re: Box Elder Call Set
Post by: BluMtnGobbler on September 02, 2013, 07:21:04 AM
Great looking set! sure you will enjoy them Mike.
Title: Re: Box Elder Call Set
Post by: M,Yingling on September 02, 2013, 06:23:08 PM
Iam realy happy with the calls ,,They will se some vest time this fall ,,,and yes the box elder is tuff to get some good pics ,, the calls look fantastic ,,,Ill get you out another blank of box elder for yourself on Tuesday ,,Thanks again
Title: Re: Box Elder Call Set
Post by: Shadetree Callers on September 02, 2013, 11:08:14 PM
That is a sweet looking set of callers for sure !
Title: Re: Box Elder Call Set
Post by: BKA on September 03, 2013, 05:20:39 PM
Very Nice, Super set of calls. Mike should be floored by those.
Title: Re: Box Elder Call Set
Post by: RW Mackey on September 03, 2013, 06:27:09 PM

  Looking good, Austy.  Your doing a great job with your calls.

Roy.  *up*
Title: Re: Box Elder Call Set
Post by: Turkeybuster on September 03, 2013, 09:21:59 PM
Good looking set of calls.

Jon
Title: Re: Box Elder Call Set
Post by: BluMtnGobbler on September 04, 2013, 03:27:25 PM
Austy, another great set! good luck on your hunt.
Title: Re: Box Elder Call Set
Post by: MadYelper on September 04, 2013, 08:21:26 PM
 *up*  *up*
Title: Re: Box Elder Call Set
Post by: jmck on September 04, 2013, 08:51:45 PM
Those are sharp.  :o
Title: Re: Box Elder Call Set
Post by: merocustomcalls on September 04, 2013, 09:48:25 PM
Great work on those!