Osage Roost

All Hunting => Fall Turkey Hunting => Topic started by: Silverspur on June 09, 2013, 07:11:06 AM

Title: Lets talk fall
Post by: Silverspur on June 09, 2013, 07:11:06 AM
Who is fall hunting and where this year.    PA for me
Title: Re: Lets talk fall
Post by: West Augusta on June 09, 2013, 07:57:50 AM
With a thirty percent increase in the spring harvest we'll have a fall season here in West Virginia.
I got a Nice long beard last fall.
Title: Re: Lets talk fall
Post by: Shadetree Callers on June 09, 2013, 09:05:37 AM
I will hunt kentucky ,ohio, and pennsylvania. Steve, I got my first fall bird in greenbrier county almost thirty years ago
Title: Re: Lets talk fall
Post by: Turkeybuster on June 09, 2013, 09:08:38 AM
Pa. for me also it cant get here fast enough for me!

Jon
Title: Re: Lets talk fall
Post by: B-Ready on June 09, 2013, 09:42:47 AM
Just my old Kentucky home..... I like to take out a couple pesky hens. Can't wait!
Title: Re: Lets talk fall
Post by: The Woodsman on June 09, 2013, 04:55:47 PM
Pa here as well.

I have a new Marlin Watkins trumpet to take and a Richard Hudson henbox is in the works. Fun! Fun!

Denny
Title: Re: Lets talk fall
Post by: M Sharpe on June 10, 2013, 06:19:35 AM
Good luck to all of you fall hunters. They value deer season too much here to cut any out for turkey hunting in the fall.

Mark
Title: Re: Lets talk fall
Post by: strutnrut on June 10, 2013, 07:59:37 AM
I will be chasing them on Ft. Campbell. My hunting buddy had to go do the Korea thing for a year and will be missed greatly.
Title: Re: Lets talk fall
Post by: Silverspur on June 10, 2013, 07:14:34 PM
Do you think all the heavy rains and storms will have a big affect on the spring hatches and fall populations?
Title: Re: Lets talk fall
Post by: Turkeybuster on June 10, 2013, 07:19:19 PM
If the heavy rain moves out of here tonight and these storms let us alone for a couple of weeks they should be ok. This type of weather is bad news for the poults.

Jon
Title: Re: Lets talk fall
Post by: K on June 10, 2013, 08:07:19 PM
I will be chasing them on Ft. Campbell. My hunting buddy had to go do the Korea thing for a year and will be missed greatly.


no worries BIG GUY...i got your back.... ;D
Title: Re: Lets talk fall
Post by: strutnrut on June 11, 2013, 05:23:28 AM
By all means come on sure we can find a few flocks to play with. Who knows we may get it the area where the turkey crap is a foot deep around the roost trees.  ROTFLMBO  ROTFLMBO
Title: Re: Lets talk fall
Post by: thundrchikin on June 11, 2013, 08:08:03 PM
WV and VA here. Hey Shadetree what part of Greenbrier county you hunt? I've hunted that county for years.
Title: Re: Lets talk fall
Post by: jmck on June 11, 2013, 08:23:51 PM
I have plans on SNEAKING to Stoners place this fall  *peep* ;D
Title: Re: Lets talk fall
Post by: Shadetree Callers on June 11, 2013, 09:57:20 PM
WV and VA here. Hey Shadetree what part of Greenbrier county you hunt? I've hunted that county for years.

My family came from Monroe co. and moved into the Fort Springs area up on mt vernon rd in Greenbrier co. My Dad's farm is on top of Flat Mtn , above Alderson . Ol' Martha Stewart knows that area pretty good . At least one part of it anyway,lol.
Title: Re: Lets talk fall
Post by: muzzleman on June 12, 2013, 05:30:12 AM
Cutter and I will be hunting Pa,  WE hunt Clearfield County and Clinton County, My cousin is getting another Boykin so we will be out starting to train it this fall. Already missing my time in the woods. 
Title: Re: Lets talk fall
Post by: thundrchikin on June 12, 2013, 06:50:11 PM
I'm not familiar with that part of the county. I hunt around the Richwood area mostly. I forgot about ol Martha. *lol*
WV and VA here. Hey Shadetree what part of Greenbrier county you hunt? I've hunted that county for years.

My family came from Monroe co. and moved into the Fort Springs area up on mt vernon rd in Greenbrier co. My Dad's farm is on top of Flat Mtn , above Alderson . Ol' Martha Stewart knows that area pretty good . At least one part of it anyway,                                                                                                                               
Title: Re: Lets talk fall
Post by: NYgobbler on June 12, 2013, 07:26:14 PM
Me and Gage, along with a few friends, will be hunting NY, PA, maybe western MD, and the January winter season in VA.  As far as I'm concerned, spring is fine when gobblers rule, but NOTHING beats fall turkey hunting with the dawg!!! *up* *up* *up*

Can't wait!
Title: Re: Lets talk fall
Post by: turkey stew on June 12, 2013, 07:43:43 PM
Just MI. if we have a fall season.
Title: Re: Lets talk fall
Post by: Silverspur on June 15, 2013, 08:04:20 AM
How many will be hunting with turkey dogs?  I heard that it is great experience! *gobble*
Title: Re: Lets talk fall
Post by: muzzleman on June 15, 2013, 08:37:33 AM
Cutter and I will be after them for sure, Will be starting to train second dog to. I love hunting spring gobbler but hunting in the fall is what i grew up doing . And hunting with Cutter made it that much more fun.
Title: Re: Lets talk fall
Post by: The Woodsman on June 15, 2013, 09:25:29 AM
I will be in the next county over muzzleman, Jefferson........
Title: Re: Lets talk fall
Post by: muzzleman on June 15, 2013, 08:12:59 PM
Never hunted in jefferson Co before , do you hunt with a dog to ?
Title: Re: Lets talk fall
Post by: The Woodsman on June 16, 2013, 06:36:51 AM
No, I went with Marlin Watkins last fall on my first fall dog hunt. Very enjoyable experience with it.
Title: Re: Lets talk fall
Post by: muzzleman on June 16, 2013, 06:54:23 AM
I never hunted with Marlin, but got lots of advice about hunting with dogs. I got a paddle call from Marlin that goes in my vest every time i go hunting. Maybe we can get togather in our fall season and do a little turkey doggin in Pa, I think i'm taking the whole first week off. Maybe we can meet in Clearfield Co or clinton if we hunt on weekdays.
Title: Re: Lets talk fall
Post by: mspaci on June 19, 2013, 09:29:54 PM
I`ll be out, but my new dog will only be 4 months old, so not sure about doggin.  Mike
Title: Re: Lets talk fall
Post by: thundrchikin on June 20, 2013, 12:13:38 PM
I`ll be out, but my new dog will only be 4 months old, so not sure about doggin.  Mike
Take the dog with you it may not hunt that much but it would be a good time to train in the blind. Just have it use to gun fire before start shooting over it.
Title: Re: Lets talk fall
Post by: muzzleman on June 20, 2013, 05:25:41 PM
I didn't hunt with cutter the first fall I had him , but I went out with him every chance I had to get out that first winter. We didn't have alot of snow that year so it wasn't to stressful to chase them around. If they couldn't get to the ground to scratch we didn't go out.  But that first winter chasing them was a big help in teaching cutter what we was trying to do. Getting him to break them up was the easy part, getting him to sit still without a blind while i called  was a little harder.  I talked to Marlin and he  told me it would be better if i could hunt without the blind so cutter would experience the whole hunt not only break them up but sit still and listen for them to call back and come in .  This will be cutter 's fourth season and i noticed last year that he heard them coming in before I did. Although we got a couple birds his first year we hunted we scared more away than we got  .  I carry  camafladge netting with stakes that I set up in sometimes but each set up is different and sometimes you don't have the time. Just going out in the woods and sitting down with your dog and have it sit with you while you call will help alot. I always have cutter sit between my legs with his head up by my crotch so he never in danger of getting muzzle blasted from my gun. And to tell the truth he didn't like the gun going off at first. But after the first couple times he knows now that when dad shoots he gets to go get a floppin bird.  I sit with him on a lead that is around my waist and hooked to him that only leaves him about a foot of leash, so now when I shoot I have to unhook him pretty quick or i will be eating dirt.
Title: Re: Lets talk fall
Post by: NYgobbler on June 20, 2013, 06:44:09 PM
I`ll be out, but my new dog will only be 4 months old, so not sure about doggin.  Mike

What kinda dog you got?  If I were you, I would take that 4 month old pup out with me EVERY time.  Expose it to the turkey woods, and hopefully some turkeys! Don't leave it home....practice makes perfect! Good luck with it!
Title: Re: Lets talk fall
Post by: muzzleman on June 20, 2013, 07:51:58 PM
Mike when are going to pick up your pup, WE are going to pick our's up the 13th of July  Looking forward for fall already.
Title: Re: Lets talk fall
Post by: mspaci on June 20, 2013, 08:02:07 PM
going down in mid aug. to pick it up. So will be 4 months mid Oct.  Mike
Title: Re: Lets talk fall
Post by: Porter on July 07, 2013, 08:30:57 PM
I cannot wait to go hunting... looks like MO and KS for me!!!  I'm twisting my friends arm to go to Kansas!!!  4 birds in Eastern Kansas limit...

MO hatch appears to be really good once again too!
Title: Re: Lets talk fall
Post by: Silverspur on July 09, 2013, 08:52:10 AM
Mike, Hope you have a heck of a fall season, lots of birds and plenty of tags to fill....Good Luck!

Bob
Title: Re: Lets talk fall
Post by: BluMtnGobbler on July 12, 2013, 05:41:26 PM
PA for me
Title: Re: Lets talk fall
Post by: firedup on July 15, 2013, 08:12:33 PM
WV for sure and maybe Ohio if I catch a break in work. Shadetree, that area of Greenbrier,Summers and Monroe has always been full of birds.  Took my first in Monroe many, many fall hunts ago. ;D
Title: Re: Lets talk fall
Post by: barry on July 17, 2013, 04:34:58 PM
VA here!