Osage Roost

General Forum => General Discussion => Topic started by: NYgobbler on January 26, 2013, 10:22:51 AM

Title: Question for Callmakers - Lipstops?
Post by: NYgobbler on January 26, 2013, 10:22:51 AM
I have 2 trumpet calls where the rubber lipstops are cracking splitting. I don't know why, they are kept in a cabinet out of the sun when not in use.  Can someone tell me where I can purchase these at? Either rubber or cork, or is one better than the other?  A local hardware store does have stoppers, but no holes in them. I tried drilling holes in some, but they just don't fit that good due to the change in diameter on the mouthpiece.  Thanks in advance....
Title: Re: Question for Callmakers - Lipstops?
Post by: Old Geezer on January 26, 2013, 11:08:11 AM
In general rubber lip stops are the expendable part of the call.  Materials age and the rubber splits from the pressure of the widening mouthpiece.   Cork seems to fair much better but has a memory as it sits on the mouthpiece and may form to the contour of the mouthpiece and not hold on as tight as when it was new. 

I can turn a few stoppers for you.  PM me with dimensions.

Ralph
Title: Re: Question for Callmakers - Lipstops?
Post by: nx95240 on January 26, 2013, 05:06:08 PM
 p.m. me i will send  you 2 of them next week if you donot  find any by then..brian
Title: Re: Question for Callmakers - Lipstops?
Post by: DazzleM12 on January 26, 2013, 05:13:13 PM
If they are custom, I'd contact the callmaker.
Title: Re: Question for Callmakers - Lipstops?
Post by: Spring Dragon on January 26, 2013, 05:16:07 PM
I have had the same problem.  Maybe store them with out the stops on???  Or is there a solution one can put on the rubber to help preserve it??
Title: Re: Question for Callmakers - Lipstops?
Post by: NYgobbler on January 26, 2013, 05:33:47 PM
Thanks all for the offers, I think I've got it covered. And yes, I was told a little "mineral oil" helps resist the cracking.
Title: Re: Question for Callmakers - Lipstops?
Post by: Fl Panhandler on January 26, 2013, 09:44:37 PM
303 aerospace protectant is like sunblock for rubber and plastics.  I have been treating my lipstops and ANYTHING plastic or rubber with it. I treat my kayak with it and it's like new no color fade or cracking.
Rick
Title: Re: Question for Callmakers - Lipstops?
Post by: turkey stew on January 27, 2013, 08:11:30 AM
Rick, Where do you get the 303 aerospace protectant?
Title: Re: Question for Callmakers - Lipstops?
Post by: Fl Panhandler on January 27, 2013, 08:19:32 AM
I got it at West Marine here in Destin. I think that a quick google search would provide retailers.
Rick
Title: Re: Question for Callmakers - Lipstops?
Post by: turkey stew on January 27, 2013, 08:24:03 AM
Thank you sir. Much appreciated! Phil