Osage Roost

General Forum => General Discussion => Topic started by: headhunter270 on September 03, 2012, 01:20:40 PM

Title: Purr on a trumpet
Post by: headhunter270 on September 03, 2012, 01:20:40 PM
Been working on my trumpt got the yelps and clucks down pretty good.Can anybody purr on one if so got any tipps
Title: Re: Purr on a trumpet
Post by: TRKYHTR on September 03, 2012, 01:38:52 PM
Gargle as you suck in.

TRKYHTR
Title: Re: Purr on a trumpet
Post by: West Augusta on September 03, 2012, 01:53:02 PM
Say what? *lol* *lol*
That doesn't work for me Joe. *lol*
Title: Re: Purr on a trumpet
Post by: hunter22 on September 03, 2012, 02:00:05 PM
Seems like that is two contradicting actions. I have never heard anyone purr on a trumpet that I know of. You may need to make a soundfile of that one Joe.
Title: Re: Purr on a trumpet
Post by: West Augusta on September 03, 2012, 02:01:18 PM
I can't physically do it.
Title: Re: Purr on a trumpet
Post by: drenalinld on September 03, 2012, 02:18:42 PM
I can get the gargling action while sucking rather than blowing, but have not learned to do it with little enough air for a trumpet. I have heard Joe do it. He has a sound file somewhere. With trumpet so far it more resembles a "gag"gle!
 *lol*
Title: Re: Purr on a trumpet
Post by: stevelumma on September 03, 2012, 03:21:04 PM
I have personally heard one person purr on a wingbone. i can't remember his name, but he told me he fluttered his tongue to make it happen. It sounded amazing, but he was a freak of nature. I grab a pot when I want to make a good purr
Title: Re: Purr on a trumpet
Post by: GR8CALLS on September 03, 2012, 05:22:31 PM
Best I have ever heard was Cornbread!

Bill
Title: Re: Purr on a trumpet
Post by: firedup on September 03, 2012, 06:55:03 PM
I believe Zach Farmer described a technique to purr on a trumpet in his book. It will work on a winbone but....at least for me...not very consistant.  Involves a healthy amount of spit.
Title: Re: Purr on a trumpet
Post by: Zumer on September 03, 2012, 09:24:55 PM
Best I have ever heard was Cornbread!


AWESOME sounding purr from the breadman...... *up*
Title: Re: Purr on a trumpet
Post by: West Augusta on September 03, 2012, 09:31:18 PM
How's he do it?
Title: Re: Purr on a trumpet
Post by: Zumer on September 03, 2012, 10:06:22 PM
Steve,

     That's a good question......I was so amazed w/ the sound, I didn't even think, to ask him...... :-\
Title: Re: Purr on a trumpet
Post by: Turkeycaller on September 04, 2012, 05:01:29 AM
Cornbread.............
Title: Re: Purr on a trumpet
Post by: strutnrut on September 04, 2012, 05:39:19 AM
About 5 years ago I had a 9 year old at Reelfoot show who wanted a wingbone call some kind of bad. I have to say I have a very soft spot when it comes to young people who want to learn to turkey hunt. So I gave him a Wingbone.  Well I had him working the wingbone very quickly. The next thing I know he had slipped away from his mother and came over to show me what he could do. He purred on that call like he had been doing it forever. I tried to have him teach me but an old dog doesn't always learn new tricks. I sure wish I could run accross him again. 
Title: Re: Purr on a trumpet
Post by: MKW on September 04, 2012, 04:08:34 PM
Cornbread is the only person I've ever heard purr on a suction call and it was spot-on. I DID ask him how he did it and he said, "I don't really know, I just do it."  ;D

Mike
Title: Re: Purr on a trumpet
Post by: professorwingbone on September 04, 2012, 07:43:58 PM
There is a young guy in SC by the name of Adam Mills that is the best I've ever heard next to Doug Totty. Doug makes a unique suction call named "The Eastern Assassin". Never heard Cornbread before.

Fred
Title: Re: Purr on a trumpet
Post by: TRKYHTR on September 04, 2012, 08:56:12 PM
Here is a little video I put together of me purring on a trumpet. It's not very good but it is a purr.

TRKYHTR

Title: Re: Purr on a trumpet
Post by: mmclain on September 04, 2012, 09:01:35 PM
There is a young guy in SC by the name of Adam Mills that is the best I've ever heard next to Doug Totty. Doug makes a unique suction call named "The Eastern Assassin". Never heard Cornbread before.

Fred

Adam is the best .....I've heard them both......adam did it on his wingbone then he did it on one of my trumpets....just as well......not just a token job...... it is absolutely real sounding........
Title: Re: Purr on a trumpet
Post by: headhunter270 on September 04, 2012, 09:09:58 PM
Thanks for the clip Joe sounds pretty good to me.I think this is something worth the effort to learn no need in switching calls just to purr.
Title: Re: Purr on a trumpet
Post by: Turkeybuster on September 04, 2012, 09:41:27 PM
Joe that sound's pretty good to me also.

Jon