Author Topic: VA morning flock music  (Read 2468 times)

Offline hawglips

  • Jenny
  • **
  • Posts: 51
VA morning flock music
« on: November 11, 2013, 02:17:09 PM »
Got out into the fall woods for my annual hunt last Saturday.  It was a mighty purty morning to be out.  I hadn't been in there since Dec 2011 and hoped I'd stumble into some birds in this one area where I knew they liked to roost in past years.  I got in there in the dark without busting any out of the trees, and so I just waited to see if I could hear anything come flydown time.

Sure enough, I started to hear some flydown racket off in the distance, and so I set off to get into the game.  By the time I got there they were on the ground and I tried to call some over the hill to me.  But they had their minds made up where they were heading and I spent the next couple hours trying to get them to come to me.  I couldn't quite get them to come and I couldn't swing around in front of them and I couldn't get close enough to get a bust.  But I was having a blast making all kinds of turkey noise back and forth with them.  There wasn't 5 minutes went by without them talking back and forth to me.  Got to love it when they are vocal on a still fall morning.

Finally, after getting wet crossing a creek, after they got to where they wanted to be, I got them to come check me out.   It's a good thing it ended soon after the creek because I'd have been uncomfortable for the rest of the day in wet pants and socks.




Offline Shadetree Callers

  • Boss Tom
  • *****
  • Posts: 5224
  • Bagging Big Buckeye Birds and Bucks
    • SHADETREE CALLERS
Re: VA morning flock music
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 03:05:08 PM »
Congrats
SHADETREE CALLERS...
    Treat people the same way you want them to treat you

The Woodsman

  • Guest
Re: VA morning flock music
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 03:59:24 PM »
Congrats! Sounds like an interesting day! What kind of over/under are you using?

Denny

Offline firedup

  • Boss Tom
  • *****
  • Posts: 1788
Re: VA morning flock music
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 07:01:05 PM »
Way to stay after em!   Nice hunt! ;D

Offline Turkeybuster

  • Boss Tom
  • *****
  • Posts: 7065
Re: VA morning flock music
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 07:10:46 PM »
Congrats. on a nice fall bird.

Jon

Offline jmck

  • Boss Tom
  • *****
  • Posts: 8930
  • Twisting Creek Calls
    • Twisting Creek Calls
Re: VA morning flock music
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 09:16:36 PM »
Congrats on the fine fall hunt

Offline hawglips

  • Jenny
  • **
  • Posts: 51
Re: VA morning flock music
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 04:41:39 AM »
Congrats! Sounds like an interesting day! What kind of over/under are you using?

Denny

Denny, that's a 28 ga CZ Woodcock.  It's become my favorite turkey gun the last couple years.

Offline Silverspur

  • Boss Tom
  • *****
  • Posts: 244643
  • I like Longbeards / Sharp Spurs
Re: VA morning flock music
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2013, 06:55:14 AM »
Congrats to you, I fell on Friday and got a little wet myself crossing a small creek in the snow and freezing rain.

Offline M Sharpe

  • Boss Tom
  • *****
  • Posts: 1764
Re: VA morning flock music
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2013, 07:07:04 AM »
Congrats Hal on a rewarding hunt!!

Offline milkman

  • Poult
  • *
  • Posts: 30
Re: VA morning flock music
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2013, 07:44:25 PM »
Man Hal you're rough on those turkeys no matter the season. Congrats.

Offline TRKYHTR

  • Boss Tom
  • *****
  • Posts: 672
    • Mother Lode Turkey Calls
Re: VA morning flock music
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2013, 10:08:19 PM »
WTG Hal nice turkey.

TRKYHTR

Offline AlabamaDave

  • Boss Tom
  • *****
  • Posts: 2827
Re: VA morning flock music
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2013, 08:31:36 PM »
That's getting it done!...Good goin Hal!